Making Waves

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Making Waves

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#1]
more sub stuff... i figured i'd embarrass myself a bit and show a lil bit of what i was talkin' about in another thread about what i was doing while waiting for the 'Max 3D Module to come out...

playing around with getting some semi-realistic ocean waves in Blitz3D...

click on the screenshot for a short (769k) video

maybe a lil too much wave action... also, the bow waves look a lil like clouds instead of waves... i gotta play around with it a lil more...

.. anyways, the subs sail on in Blitz3D

--Mike

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nice! Now I have to hang my clothes up for drying.. I am sure that you will want to warn people about the weather in your demo before showing it off further ^^

It looked pretty decent to me, although everything seemed pretty choppy.. don't know if this is fraps doing or if its supposed to be like this..?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#3]
thx AM...

it's FRAPS... or more correctly, it's me using FRAPS...

i really haven't taken the time to learn how to set it up properly... and i only have the demo version...

in Blitz it's as smooth as silk... above 60fps with a sub and a ship plowing through the waves...

--Mike

puki(Posted 2005) [#4]
How deep is the water?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
at that point in the map i think it's near a thousand feet (360 meters) or there abouts...

... but in the game, the depth depends on where you are on map.

it is possible to descend too deep and loose the sub (actually, that's not coded in the Blitz version yet), or run into submerged terrain...

that's part of the fun, err i mean challenge, in driving a sub sim... to successfully navigate submerged using your sonar and charts... and your pirates instincts :)

--Mike

N(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm still waiting for a demo -_-

By the way, do I get to dock in small villages then kill the men and enslave the women (for evil purposes not to be mentioned).

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#7]
Im with Noel! So about that dock...? ;) Dang nice effects! I liked it!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
no raping and pillaging of small villages in this sim... sorrrrry...

... but the scenario might arise where you'll be able to launch nuclear armed missiles at large villages and other parts of the world... is that gonna be ok :)

--Mike

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#9]
Nice waves - even with the low frame rate due to Fraps its still impressive.
Raping & pillaging sounds much more fun (in a virtual sense of course) than long distance nuking. :) Perhaps in a future "Viking Boat" Sim ?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#10]
Mike,

Keep an eye on the gallery over the next day or so, have a little look at my latest project...

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
cool... will do IP...

[added]

WOW!!!!! i just saw the screenshot in the gallery... that looks great...

lets see more... lets see lots more :)

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#12]
looks nice, the wave motion is pretty cool

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#13]
Thanks Red,

I'll start a new post (so I'm not hi-jacking this thread), with some more piccies and video asap. The view is always from the same spot but the horizon changes as you steer port or starboard.

IPete2.

markcw(Posted 2005) [#14]
would it hurt too much to use mpg instead of wmv?

i can't play the file because my mp is old. >:(

just ignore this if you think i should upgrade. :)

edit: actually, just ignore this. mpg seems to suck.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#15]
Pretty cool effect! It looks just as rough as a real ocean!