My BlitzMAX Football

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My BlitzMAX Football

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#1]
Just been practising my modelling skills in 3dsmax (slowly getting better) and I made a BlitzMax football!

Larger full size image

I would have entered this into the Blitz Art Compo but I didnt read the rules until after I had finished making it (nothing horror like about it), but I thought I would post it here anyway. :-)

There is one little mistake I made with the football though, the face edges "extrude" the wrong way making it look more golf ball like. Couldnt be bothered to wait another hour for the rendering to finish again so I didnt fix it!

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#2]
not bad, but the ball looks a bit angular and a bit too high contrast

grass is nice

skn3(Posted 2005) [#3]
u waited 1 hour for that pic to render ??????

an alright attempt, but well it looks more like the football is inside out. The contrast washes it out a bit too. I think I can see why it took 1 hour, because you used many light sources with the prefab trees.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#4]
Okay thanks guys for your comments. I have just concentrated on the ball now and it is now looking *much* better.

See full size image

It could do with some more interesting texture patterns on the hexagon patches going around the logos, but I'm not good at texturing! (making textures)

u waited 1 hour for that pic to render ??????

Duron 800mhz + 128mb RAM + 250,000+ polys = Long Rendering Time :-(

skn3(Posted 2005) [#5]
now thats better ;)

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#6]
Oh...i thought you were talking about Football....still look cool for a soccer ball.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#7]
Oh...i thought you were talking about Football....still look cool for a soccer ball.
He is talking about football. There's only one country in the world that doesn't consider this football, so I'd say he's talking about football.

Ziltch(Posted 2005) [#8]
What country would that be?
Most people in Australia would call it a soccer ball.

Good job Stuart! The 2nd render shows the seams much better.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#9]
If i might offer some constructive criticism...

It really needs dirtying up... a nice grungy texture for the bump & specular maps (with a hint on the diffuse aswell) would make it look a lot more realistic.... personally i've never seen a football as clean as that, it needs scuff marks and scratches etc etc

I'd be happy to have a go at it if you wanted to send me the project file :)

AarbronBeast(Posted 2005) [#10]
Most people in Canada would call it a soccer ball as well.

:)

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#11]
Hello.

It's a football! Why? Because you use your feet to kick it, and (except for goalkeepers and throw-ins) don't use your hands.

American football should be called cowardy-custard rugby.

Goodbye.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#12]
a nice grungy texture for the bump & specular maps

There is no bump & specular maps. All the detail comes from the high poly mesh!

American football should be called cowardy-custard rugby.

I agree.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#13]
oddly enough the word 'soccer' is a british invention, not american slang

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#14]
Sorry, I fail to understand why a sphere with a texture is so interesting?

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Because it looks nice.

DH(Posted 2005) [#16]
All this arguing over a soccer ball?

It's obviously a soccer ball! A football is more oblong and a completely different color (typically)..

Futbol - THE GAME or THE BALL otherwise known as a soccer ball.

S: (n) football, football game (any of various games played with a ball (round or oval) in which two teams try to kick or carry or propel the ball into each other's goal)

So Soccer is a form of football! However, since American football fits the description more (carry, propel, kick, etc into the others goal) I would have to argue it be called football.

Do you guys have tackle soccer over there? (just curious)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#17]

Well first, there is no texture! (Apart from the blitz logo) Those seams on the ball you see in the image is no texturing trick. So I'd like to see you make such a high detail mesh!

To make things perfectly clear it is a European football, ball. Or a "Soccer" ball as the Americans, Canadians and Australians call it.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#18]
"Football" is the same as "soccer". This game with the oval ball is "american football".
And soccer/football is no form of american football.
American football is a mix up between rugby and football. And american football was invented a LONG time after rugby or football.

In fact i think american football is like rugby with unnecessary complicated rules. And in american football there is much less action as in rugby or football... the matches are stopped each five minutes, just to start again, a few yards further. And, although the game is that action-less compared to rugby, the players wear this needless "armour".

Actually, the name american "FOOTBALL" is unfitting for that game. It has nothing to do with football and is much more similar to rugby.

Raitsun

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#19]
So I'd like to see you make such a high detail mesh!

It's a matter of creating a Nurbs sphere in Maya. Voila. Then I add some pre-defined shader. And then the Blitz logo.

I still don't get it :-)

maximo(Posted 2005) [#20]
>a soccer ball

what soccer ball? this is foot-ball.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#21]
">There is no bump & specular maps. All the detail comes from the high poly mesh!"

I know, but what i meant to say is, you really need some bump & specular maps on there... obviousley you've aimed for realism with this model, so you need to add dirt & scuffing to the surface, otherwise all the poly's in the world won't make it look real..

Have a look at this tutorial movie: http://69.36.12.13/media/tut/tut_6.mov - shows what i'm talkin about pretty well...

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#22]
give the guy a break, it looks great.
there's no dirt on it because...there's no dirt on blitzmax!!

I've been considering purchasing it but, i heard talk about pc and mac version and I just don't get it. I've been oodling the products page but, i'm not sure if it's worth it. is the 3d module gonna be full fledged like b3d?

Warren(Posted 2005) [#23]
what soccer ball? this is foot-ball.

At least 3 people have made this witty jab before you. Read the whole thread next time.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#24]
You call that a soccer ball? That's a football.

THANK YOU, YOU'VE BEEN GREAT. (Walks out on a high as he adjust his slacks.)

Jams(Posted 2005) [#25]
"give the guy a break, it looks great.
there's no dirt on it because...there's no dirt on blitzmax!!"

I wasn't trying to be harsh to the guy - just pointing out where (imo) it could be improved - every model that wants to look realistic, needs to be weathered.. without exception.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#26]
To add to JimJams reply; I'm also not trying to be harsch - I just didn't get it.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#27]
Reminding the "calling-it-soccer-ball"-fraction:
What has American Football to do with Football?
There are several guys running around having an egglike something in their hands, throwing it occasionally to some other guy who is then running away holding it in his arms.
And most of the time they stand about and discuss.

So don't try to be funny if someone shows a really great modelled Football!

I could use such a ball for a little game I have made - but with less verts/polygons. Has anyone a vertex and tris list including texcoords?
(Edited) Looking at the last picture again - maybe I can produce it with a formula in B3D direct.
Although --- less work is, if someone can put a solution here ;-)