Small hut model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Small hut model

elseano(Posted 2005) [#1]
Please tell me what you think. I'm still working on the texture. Can anyone tell me how to improve it?

[img http://img152.echo.cx/img152/4745/houserenderedcopy3po.jpg"]

I also plan to make a larger, proper house, some kind of church and a well :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
The roof is wrong... It should be pitched all over, most roofs do not pitch in both direction, or if they do it pitches more in one direction that the other.

Likewise look at the location of the chimney, that will start against one wall of the hut, so it needs to come out of the roof at the right place.

Your hut has no windows.

What is the scale you're working on? If the door is around 2 metres tall (6ft ish) then the hut itself is only 2 metres wide so only has 4 sqaure metres of floor space.

Likewise this means your chimney is around a metre wide.

Those are just my first thoughts, it's a good start though, but think about how this will actually work and scales of things.

Use the google image search to find references, I found this which may be of use.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&q=hut&btnG=Search

This looks like pretty good reference if you use the up and down arrows there's plenty of examples of buildings, these are 3d models anyway.
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov/im_a72.htm

elseano(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the info. I really should learn to look for reference material before I start...

Anyway, I tried improving it:

It looks rather 'stretched' though now...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
hey... you don't have to pay any attention to that Farley guy :)

seriously, the first pics do look nice... but, like Rob says, you've gotta base you architecural creations on somewhat realistic rules and conventions...

but, i guess that depends, in the long run, upon what type of world you are creating... realistic world or Dr. Seuss world...

--Mike

elseano(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeah, actually, I was going for a more exaggerated/cartoony style, but that doesn't really show in the texturing eheh.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#6]
"The roof is wrong... It should be pitched all over, most roofs do not pitch in both direction, or if they do it pitches more in one direction that the other."

What he has is similar to a "mansard" roof and it does exist.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
Lucid... Although I apprecaite you trawling the web to prove me wrong the building you're showing there is a modern building made with a metal frame and a metal roof, the average 'hut' is going to have either a tiled roof (where you cannot have it flat) or thatched (where you cannot have it flat) or like a garden shed that will probably be roofing felt, now this can be flat, however, it usually pitched in one direction so water runs off it.

Furthermore you'll probably find that roof is not completely flat and actually has a network of low pitches and drainage gullies.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#8]
I simply was trying to 'make aware' that the roof type look does exist and has for a few hundred years. Your comment implied that the roof systems you described are the only possibilities when in fact many roof types exist. Weather or not they work (i.e. keep water from coming in) is a different story.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#9]
I think the curls in the texture of the walls are too big. It might look better if you'd scale it down.

What about giving the hut a window?