Human Male WIP

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Human Male WIP

Chaduke(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is the start of a model I've created in Wings3D. It's for a game I'm creating about the life of my very interesting friend Reggie. I know the skin is grey and the lips look like hes got lipstick on (even though that wouldn't be far out of character for Reggie), but those are just vertex colors in place until I skin him.
I need some advice on hair though. Reggie wears all sorts of hairsyles from short to long, as well as hats, masks, makeup and such, and also facial hair. I'm not quite sure about how to approach the modelling aspect of it. I'm wondering if basic hair is a hollow or solid model or should I try to modify this existing head and do it with textures.
Imagine a game very similar to the Sims 2 as far as gameplay goes. I hope to do some facial morphing with lip sync animation for speech.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#2]
Ears too small, chin too narrow maybe, neck also seems thin. But ears have to be the size of the nose, yours look only aobut 65% of the height. Try playing with smoothing groups to make it look better (now it seems like the light is hitting it irregularly). Without skin, i doubt anyone can tell you much more than that. Dont forget eyebrows too.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#3]
"I hope to do some facial morphing with lip sync animation for speech."

Before you even attempt jumping the gun, It might be more beneficial to perfect this character modeling and texture wise since he will be the apparent main character. You should post some more views along with wireframes so that we could give a better criticism.

Lenn hit most of the obvious parts that stand out. It looks like the nose has a crease going down it. This is probably due to the modeling seam and the adjacent edges being pulled too far down, thus not smoothing it enough. The same line runs up the chin. Around the outside of the eyes seems a bit odd. I can notice the construction there even with no wireframe, and this shouldnt really be the case.

Keep up the work!

Chaduke(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks for the crits guys. Good call on the ear size, I adjusted it a bit, as well as the neck and chin. I'm not sure about what to do as far as smoothing goes since I'm not using any sort of smoothing on the mesh, I'm just rendering it as is with the probably crappy OpenGL renderer in Wings. I created some more images for you to look at; they include the reference images that I'm using. For some reason the model looks a little different as a render than it does when I'm working on it in the modeller. I notice this especially on the top eyelids where it seems to dip a little but inside the modeler it doesn't look like that. (look at the wireframe, which is just a screen capture)
Here's a front and side view with references:

Here's a front view wireframe:

and here's a link to the Wings3D file if you want to look at it in there:

http://www.doresoftware.com/panther/pics/web/reggiehead.wings

Chaduke(Posted 2005) [#5]
I can see some very obvious things that need work especially on the front view comparison, namely the size of the eyes, the length of the nose and the width of the chin.

More crits are welcome and appreciated. This is my second attempt at modelling a head so this is still very new to me.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#6]
Not just the length of the nose but the whole shape. You can use refference photos like a person wax modeller, but you need to have the '3d feeling' in order to make the nose accurate.

skn3(Posted 2005) [#7]
Just thought Id say, that the 3d version looks maybe at most 10% like the reference. Check the eyes, nose, ears, chin, cheaks, lips, etc nothing matches that much. ITs an alright attempt so far . I think you need to get into the tweaking stage ALOT! now before showing off your work :)

necky(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is looking good. You've correctly modelled the polygons so they follow the muscle direction of the face. This will come into its element when you start to animate the face.
For the purpose of demoing the model I`d recommend, at this stage, to remove the lip colours and also the texture on the eyes. It's far more complimentry on your model to have either all or none of it texture.
The only critism so far is the eye socket needs to be 'rounded' more. Look at the profile and you'll notice the eye in the photo is set back further that the one on the model.

Good job so far!

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#9]
this model has some good potential, I suggest you put more subdivision on its chin and tweak the inner details more, not just the silouhette.

other then that, its a good start, I especially like the ears