My Animation

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My Animation

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, I thought I would post up my short animation "Boomerang" that I have been working on for a week or so:

http://www.chrisbate.com/boomerang.wmv

If it starts to load in the browser, then right-click, save target as etc :)

EDIT: oh its only 1.6 meg :)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#2]
oooo i like that, very nice

only thing i would change is when he throws the thing
he rocks off his feet which looks a bit odd, might look a bit better if he keeps his feet on the ground and just arches his back more and gets into the swing
or
raise his knee a lot more and arch back more, like a real cartoony build up to throw

very nice work and great choice of music

semar(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice one boomboom.

Do you mind to post how did you realize it ? I mean, software and hardware you've used.

Cute animation, really, and good choice for timing.

Sergio.

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nothing special on the hardware front, just self built consumer level PC. 3 button mouse (3 buttons, none of this mouse wheel hype)

Software: Maya 6, Photoshop 7, After effects 6

thats it really.

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#5]
Credits:
My Fat Sister

She's your flesh and blood man! :D

Nice animation...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
verrrrry verrrry nice...

real talent behind this...

--Mike

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#7]
Are you open to criticism?

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#8]
yes, sure. Please crit it.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#9]
I think the actual clip should have a lot more to it. The intro takes up near half of the movie, and the outtro takes up a nice portion.

It would be nice to see the guy run off the screen from left to right, right to left, getting further into the distance as the outtro is playing... and dodging the boomerang... jumping over it, ducking, tumbling etc.

I also think something is not right with the motion of him throwing the boomerang. He seems to be too stiff. Try this site and click on tutorials: http://www.keithlango.com

The last thing that I watched over and over is when the boomerang hits his hand. I think that immediate moment and moment after could be done a lot more dramatic. Imagine a band saw cutting off your hand when you werent expecting it. At first, you look to see what happened, then there is shock, and finally it clicks and there is pain.

Hope this helps.

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#10]
yea, i have had keiths tutorials for a while, just never got round to reading them yet :)

ErikT(Posted 2005) [#11]
There's something monkey about the clip, my players won't render it.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#12]
should have put some blood squirting out the hand.
The set could be more interesting.

The animation timing/pose need a bit of work, but I like the idea and it shows some imagination.

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#13]
weird, cant DL it. Gets to 208kb and just sits. But I can DL other things.

Can someone email it to me at brian@... thanks

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#14]
Good job :D

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Nice! It reminded me of the movie Mad Max 2... ;)

And the way the boomerang stops in the intro is very stylish, like in movies where you see the main characters captured in action with their names next to them, if you know what I mean. The music also adds to that wild west/Kill Bill feeling.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#16]
Pretty cool stuff :D

HNPhan(Posted 2005) [#17]
good stuff man, if you keep polishing it, youll be ace in no time

apart from whats alredy been said, my crit would be:

- the feet planting, alot of them do not have natural curve motion (theyr very IK linear feel to it).
- you add abit more drag on the extended body parts, this will help animatin readability
- head turn should curve down
- add more anticipation to the throw and the start of running
- boomerang should have its pivot abit more at the edge wing

that should help you to get better ;)