Fortnightly Blitz Art Compo #2

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Fortnightly Blitz Art Compo #2

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#1]
please copy this layout into the next compo use [ b ]text here[/ b ] to do bold)

rules
- All entries must be created after the compo start date.
- Only 1 entry per user.
- Judges decision is final.
- Winner becomes judge and chooses compeittion type for next fortnight.
- Competition will last 2 weeks from starting date.
- All entries must be submitted before the deadline.
- Judge can't submit entry into own competition.

art compo #2
ok since theres a community project on the go and i think the guys need some media, the next compo will be BAIT MECHS in 3d, think of robot wars, so i ask that any entries be given over to BAIT project (please)

The BAIT project
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=45909

start date
8h May 2005

end date
22nd May 2005

the prize
You get this magnificent icon to add to your forum Signature!

winner.......skn3(ac)

Entries

-----------------------------------------------------------

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
Was planning on participating in this second one.. then I noticed that bit about giving my artwork away for free to a project that'll never get finished...

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#3]
you dont have to give it away, your choice

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#4]
I just noticed this thread by chance, thank you very much Tiler for your help!

And don't be cheeky Noel! I'll get it finished even if it kills me!

Ryan

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
I can't help it if I'm jaded.

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#6]
*Looks up 'jaded' in the dictionary*...

...Bow your head in shame, Noel.

Anyway guys, get cracking with the compo!

Ryan

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#7]
If i only get time, i'd love to participate and in general help out on BAIT, although i've been silent for a while.

cermit(Posted 2005) [#8]
How about people send an email (providing a link to a screeny of their work) to the judge (tiler) and when the art competition is over tiler posts all the screenies and competitor nicks in the same post. I think this would make these competitions a lot more fun, cause when people submit their work in the thread directly other people might think they'll never win cause other entries are better. The entry amount will probaly be greater. Just a thought..

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#9]
not a bad idea cermit, i do see the reasoning behind that

im up for trying it that way, anything to get more entries

skn3(Posted 2005) [#10]
I dunno, if the judge judges fairly, it is judged on which one best fits the compo theme, rather than which one is drawn / modelled best. Of course if it is modelled well and fits the theme best, then it deserves to win.

It is always nice to see other peoples entries. Some people might lose interest in the thread if they cant watch it progress.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#11]
You should also note for others how the bot should look. The generic bot we can see in the thread is just a little vehicle with a monkey head sticking out of it. I guess anything on wheels is good, and not using legs etc. Because a MECH has legs typically.

Another question, what animations if any should it have? only movement i suppose?

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#12]
Another question, what animations if any should it have? only movement i suppose?

yep looks like movement only, there not using close combat weapons

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#13]
Although, if you wanted to add some kind of spinning radar or something to your model, it'd look cooler ;)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#14]
Does it have to be textured ? I notice the default bot is just a single color. I started my entry last night btw :)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#15]
no it doesnt have to be textured, but it will stand a better chance in this compo, no restrictions on size, just remember its for a real time game :)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ok sorted.. I'll leave some bits on the tank that can be changed with vertex color.

skn3(Posted 2005) [#17]
Doesn't look like anyone else is going to enter this one lol, well anyway here is a WIP of myn to take a gander at.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#18]
Very cool! but where are the weapons?...

skn3(Posted 2005) [#19]
Didn't know there were supposed to be weapons .. damn!!! lol

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#20]
Looking great skn3[ac] - the fact that it doesn't have any weapons could make it suitable for a sumo round, perhaps?

Ryan

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#21]
very slick :)

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#22]
Something I should have asked earlier on - should there be a maximum poly limit? Bearing in mind a number of these models would be used in real time, we want to find a balance between looks and speed.

Ryan

skn3(Posted 2005) [#23]
My finished mesh is about 1300 polys. But I still need to optimize the wheels and cat tracks, probably end up as around 1000 poly total. That ok ?

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#24]
put it this way, your in the lead ;)

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#25]
My finished mesh is about 1300 polys. But I still need to optimize the wheels and cat tracks, probably end up as around 1000 poly total. That ok ?
Even 1300 is PERFECTLY fine. The BAIT project doesn't require any polygon limits, since it's not a real-time based game. If, the poly limits were outrageous, it would still run, just not as fast. No problem. Doesn't affect game play. Do whatever you want. (That being said, there's also nothing wrong with being curteous to users with lower-end machines...)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#26]
blatant bump

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#27]
Come on guys, give us some bots!

Ryan

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#28]
Here's what i have so far. The first 4 pics are just models, the 5th one is some texture slapped on but mostly messed up. I just have a general idea but my imagination isn't helping me imagine what details i should put on the bot. I'm hoping someone gives me some suggestions and helps me go on. All i could think of is some sort of hatch for fuel or something, exhaust pipes and some sort of those... welding screws that they had on ww2 tanks. This is unconsciously inspired by a german WW2 APC vehicle, btw. So...uhh... if anyone can tell me what sorts of details i should put on the textures i might do it, but im not even good at texturing. Should there even be more details?

It should also be grey or darker gray/blue as a final colour, but if you want to change vertex colours later on it can be arranged.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#29]
Really cool...

How about a camera lens in the box on the top? Kinda like The Terminator...

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#30]
The box at the top will contain weapons. With a texture it will look better and i might model rockets sticking out of it or on the sides. A camera on top the box might be nice. This is 1150 polys now as it is tho.

I dunno... my first texture idea was very robotic, maybe i should change back to that. I mean, hehe, the radiator at the front looks very old when there were no such things as robots :) What do you think? i'm stuck

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#31]
Yep, can the radiator, and put on a plate like Darth Vaders chest...

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#32]
coming along very nice, looks a tough little begger ;)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#33]
okay :)

i think i have an idea about some details too... see if i can finish it tho :-S

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#34]
I'm loving it Lenn, please do finish it!

Ryan

skn3(Posted 2005) [#35]
Optimized the model is now 850 polys, just unwrapped will get a texture done now :)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#36]

Unless I change it, this is my final entry.

Oh and once the compo is over I'll make some variatons on the texture then send it to whoever needs the file.

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#37]
What can I say...

Marvellous, Skn3[AC]!

Ryan

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#38]
very nice :)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#39]
I've changed quite a lot of it, i might finish texturing it tonight, if not then by tomorrow noon (EU time) :P so wait for me to finish, okay? pls? thanks.

I changed the boring shape of the weapon holding box, which i was bound to do sooner or later just look at it. So dont judge that one , okai mait? :)

cheers

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#40]
No judging until tomorrow night GMT

Just encouraging comments ;)

Smurfpuss(Posted 2005) [#41]
Damm i always missing the 3d modell thingis like thanks to that my mail and internet has bin down for 5days damm

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#42]
Ohhh! Its already past 9pm gmt. Its really odd how when i do these things i always finish them a little late. Doesnt happen to me otherwise, but now... you might wait another hour or so. Its not too late for you i think.

sorry, my bad :)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#43]
it too late not, i think ;)

was waiting for you Lenn, a little longer no problem

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#44]
Where should i send the b3d to, your email as in your profile? I want to send it to you straight away with a viewer. I'll post some screenshots too. Soon.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#45]
yep, you can mail it if you want, mail in profile

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#46]
soz guys i will have to judge this in the morning

Lenn no mail as yet

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#47]
I changed the boring shape of the weapon holding box, which i was bound to do sooner or later just look at it. So dont judge that one , okai mait? :)

Lenn your about to eliminate your self from the compo

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#48]
Come on Lenn!

Ryan

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#49]
wake him up throw stones at his window, that always works

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#50]
oh oh shit. ok posting in 10 minutes. DAMN

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#51]
I personally think skn3[AC] deserves to win, his bot looks trés snazzy and he made it within the deadline. My only concern is that it sports a British flag - I doubt an overseas competitor would be happy choosing a bot representing a different nationality to theirs! Would it be possible to provide a range of textures for that bot?

Of course, the more models we have, the better, so even if you finish your bot after the deadline Lenn, please contribute it to the BAIT project.

Ryan

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#52]
I will send you the viewer now so you can see it ingame. I dont think making nice renders is too fair because this isnt a rendering competition.

I was literally dragged away from my PC last night. It was finished and as you can see all i needed was 10 minutes to post this. I just got up now and did it. So it was finished in due time just not posted :) but if that doesnt count, oh well.

The bot is made out of raw carbon fiber materials. If you never saw the materials, you might be confused, but i really loved it because carbon fibers are light and tough. Or kevlar, whatever. So the electronics are coated with thick regular, damage deflecting angles of the material! :))

Here you can see how it has all the weapons that the guys listed in the BAIT project, the glue and mines are undeneath so you cant see them.

And of course it looks nicer when rendered:

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#53]
Now you've posted that...it's gonna be close! Who's won Tiler?

Ryan

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#54]
Thanks skn3[ac]
Thanks Lenn

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#55]
ok this was actually harder than i thought, very close call

Lenn a very very nice effort there, weapon rack as well. This will fit into the Bait project very well and im sure the guys will appreciate it :)

but for pure style and the ooooooo factor

the winner is............... skn3(ac)

back to you ;)

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#56]
Well done skn3[ac]! And thanks for your efforts too Lenn!

Ryan

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#57]
I was gonna make some 3d stuff for the BAIT project anyhow. Hope you finish BAIT and that it finds some sort of use!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#58]
Here's another entry by me:

texture:

if you catch my drift :P

it didnt take as much time tho

skn3(Posted 2005) [#59]
Nice thanks :D I'll start another compo tommorow, blitzbasic was down all day and really tired now!!!

I personally think skn3[AC] deserves to win, his bot looks trés snazzy and he made it within the deadline. My only concern is that it sports a British flag - I doubt an overseas competitor would be happy choosing a bot representing a different nationality to theirs! Would it be possible to provide a range of textures for that bot?

yup...
Oh and once the compo is over I'll make some variatons on the texture then send it to whoever needs the file.

The texture has a layer speciffically for the flag, with other layers that do all the ahding and nice bits. I'll slap some other designs then upload the mesh tommorow.

Btw the model looks like that rendered.. (aside from antialias). Here is non rendered version

(Texture isnt just birt flagged btw :P)

The texture has one of its layers as a rendered lightmap. So the "rendered" look is part of the texture. The render shown simply has a spot light which I could have added to the texture.

Anyway I really like your entry Lenn, personally I would have choosen yours!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#60]
lol

No, i cant texture and thats it. :) Its visible, isnt it? And if i ever did try to do something that looks nice it would take me about 10 times as long as you or anyone who knows to texture well. Thats just too long for me. But i still do think that nice renders influence the judge to make him think the model looks better, AND it should be stated in the rules that screenshots must be from within blitz. Not only would that be fair, but it would also point that it 'works' in blitz3d and there are no faults on it. Would anyone agree? I dont know about you, but i do get different impressions looking at unrendered and rendered screenshot of your entry.

I think yours is very original, slick and looks tough. Mine looks average as a 3d model, but the texture is horrible and makes it look 'fake' somehow.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#61]
Well, I'm back from vacation, and I'm hoping to find some time to get back to working on the BAIT project.

It would be nice to replace my crappy bot model with some quality ones ... So, if the two competitors in this competition would kindly provide a download link to their models, that would be great.

Or, if you guys so choose, you can email me the files instead.

Would hate to see these models go to waste....

skn3(Posted 2005) [#62]
I emailed the model to you, but i'll do it again

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#63]
Thanks skn3[ac]. I got yours. (Darn Hotmail dumped it into the junk email folder, which is most likely why I didn't see the last email.)

How about yours Lenn?

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#64]
Hey Lenn, did you ever email me the model for your bot? Or put it up somewhere where I can download it?