A model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/A model

Caff(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here is my latest version of my character model:

Let me know what you think, I think I need to do some work on the crotch area.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
Jeeze!! That's awesome....
I wish I could model like that! Also, nice design! He
looks cool!

Yeah, the "wee-wee" needs a bit of work...

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice one! Be nice to see him moving.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#4]
funky :)

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nice! Been watching The Wrong Trousers?

Caff(Posted 2005) [#6]
Heh - people keep saying that! The glove-on-head idea came from cartoon sketches I used to draw as a wee nipper, about 15 years ago - way before Wallace and Gromit came along! I was quite surprised when I first saw the penguin with the glove on his head.

Thanks for your comments

GfK(Posted 2005) [#7]
That character would work really well in my new game which is full of bizarre stuff...

Yan(Posted 2005) [#8]
A (red) rubber glove on the head is the classic Looney Tunes chicken disguise!

mag.(Posted 2005) [#9]
he he he .. good idea. I also like the rubber glove on the head. I think the game must be fun.

skn3(Posted 2005) [#10]
Cute character, kinda reminds me a bit when I have done some plastercine modelling. Something happens after a while of moving the legs/arms in animation for ages. They start to move all around on the body.

On your model, kinda looks like the arms are way down a bit, as if they have been tweaked and rotated for several hours. I'd suggest moving the arms up alot and you will notice the character looks more complete.

Also your arms "funnel" out from the body. Might look nicer if the body is more of a vstraight ertical line, and remove the webbing effect in the underarm.

Last suggestion, the thumb on the hands/hat are a tad large.

Btw, Im not meaning to sound really critical here, I like the character. Just offering some advice :D

cya

skn3(Posted 2005) [#11]
To illustrate what I meant, a quick photo edit.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#12]
looks good, but you should post the wireframe view as its equally important how you constructed it as to how it looks in a still shot
looking at it , there are a few problems with smoothing groups on the arm and crotch area

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#13]
funny character. One people would recognize.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#14]
Thanks for the feedback, it's all been useful. I've been working on it sporadically, ideally I need a few hours spare just for tweaking it.

skn3 - I've not adjusted the arms - I see what you mean, and from an animation point of view it makes sense to raise the shoulders and soften the joint area with loads of polys, but I prefer the lowered shoulders as it seems to suit the character more (I did try it out though - it just didn't seem right if that makes any sense).

ruz - The wireframe totals 3.5k polys at the moment - a bit too high really. I will try to reduce it down a bit before animating. Previously it was about 2k and I was happy with the shape, but I got carried away particularly with refining the glove hat and the hands.

Here's a latest shot, he's almost fully rigged now:

Hopefully after some poly reduction and tweaking I'll post some videos of him in action. :)