Just wondering if there was a market....

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Just wondering if there was a market....

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been working on a set of black and white pattern for textures. These textures can be used for embossing, bumpmapping, painting, and you can even combine different tiles together to create a new pattern. (granted not all of them will fit together nicely). Mostly to make super low poly walls look good. Or use them as an alpha mask to create the grill/lace effect.I have attached a sample render of a small portion of the tiles I had made below. I just wanted to find out if there would be a market for stuff like that ?

(edited:swapped image out and added another new image)

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#2]
updated the pics

GfK(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't see a use for them to be honest. There might be a market - somewhere - but not here.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#4]
it could be if Mark implemeted Steep Parallax Mapping. Check this to see what I mean:

http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/index.html

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcarticles.cgi?show=65327

Those things you made could look good with Paralax effect ;)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
well you could emboss and light them in texturesusing photoshop layer FX and do quite a lot with some of them actually. Not sure how big a market there would be in games though.

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#6]
Well, I wasn't sure about the market part either thats why I thought I would ask. Was not sure if people doing Blitz was just looking for texture packs they could just slap on for their models, not enough tools to stir the creative mind, or probably just have no time to make walls look better then just having cracks and dirt on them.(not to say that cracks and dirt are not nice to have on the walls of models.)

I kinda stumbled on them when I was doing trying to come up with a design for those artsy looking window grilles. Had so much fun creating the designs that I decided to make a few more tiles to combine them to see what I can come up with. Then I used one of the designs as an emboss on the elven castle wall model I was making and loved it. Of course that got me wondering if there was a market for it.

mag.(Posted 2005) [#7]
don't know about the market. internet is big. some people might found it usefull. you can try...

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#8]
have you tried somewhere like turbosquid.com ?

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#9]
I was basically just doing a little market survey to see how the market was like. But it seems there isn't a market for such things. I reckon most people are looking for finished final textures, not stuff you can use to make more textures with.