BlueScreen Test

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/BlueScreen Test

Reda Borchardt(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello Everybody,

In case some of you are interested in making a bluescreen setup on a budget, I have posted a test video on http://www.bendali.com

Kind regards
Reda Borchardt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
Right now I cannot watch it :..(. can't wait for the tutorial. I have made some greenscreening tests lately too, with more or less satisfying results. I bought some textil color for a big towel, but in the end it wasn't a proper green, more like a blue/green camoflage... So I had a lot of difficulties to mask it correctly. I have added a Turqoise Screening Mode in my blitz composting app, and this one is really good. It can mask even "difficult" shots easily. Tho the foreground colors are somewhat limited. The Red part of it must be at least equal the blue or green part. For people in black clothes it's perfect. Unlike many other chroma key apps it doesn't work on a yes/no base, but is capable of blending the contours of the forground. So the antialiased contour pixels will become partially transparent, depending on their amount of green. Unfortunalely the app is dead slow.

I already experienced you need a big room for good bluescreening, so you can light the towel from behind the actor, so there are no shadows on the towel.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
An other thing: Right now I installed DivX 5.21 on this machine. Now tell me since when is DivX trying to install "Google Toolbar" during the installation of DivX?!? Isn't this Google Toolbar some kind of spyware or even a legal trojan thing?
http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

The google toolbar will be installed automaicly. It will be an integrated part of the MSIE Browser, so you won't notice when it accesses the web if you use MSIE to surf the Net, even with a Firewall like Zonealarm.
Well, it failed to install on my machine, this is why I noticed it at all.

However, back on topic, finally I was able to watch your movie on this machine.

It looks pretty good. Obviously a blue background scene fits best with bluescreening, while a forest scene would require to use greenscreening.
One thing confused me: did you deinterlace the movie because it's a web movie? Is the contour blured? Because if it is, you couldn't use it when you play it back to an interlaced media, for Television. I think true 50 Hz PAL (or 60Hz NTSC) is still a lot better than 25 HZ full frame movies on a PC Screen. And not to forget: as soon as you deinterlace it, it will become pretty unsharp. That's why I always work with interlaced material, never deinterlace. So if I use a contour blur function at all, I use it on the x-axis only, so it wont mess up the interlaced fields.

yeah, just bought a 3CCD camera today. Maybe the cheapest one can buy that has 3CCD and DVin: Panasonic NV-GS75. Picture quality is excellent, I am very surprised. Low Noise, even with in low light enviroment. It also has a mountable Lense adapter thingy, so I can add a wideangle lense. Combined with the Tele-Macro function this gives me the possibility to use a low depth of focus, that looks kind of Movie-like. (you know, dialogs etc.)

Sorry for talking so much about me. You know how it feels when you have a new camera :)

EDIT:
>>>...so I can add a wideangle lense. Combined with the Tele-Macro function this gives me the possibility to use a low depth of focus...<<<

Uh, my mistake: unfortunately (I shouda have known) the useage of a wideangle converter that is mounted on the tele will neutralize the effect of "low depth of focus" that I was after.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hey, that's pretty cool :o)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
Reda, I've just released a first version of my little Greenscreening App "DrGreen". :) You may have a look on the gloom filter. (power of 3D GFX, muahaha). yes I know most commercial apps can do it better (and I bet Chromanator can do so too), but hey - it's Freeware and at least I have learned a lot about the DV format. I agree, MiniDV is very hard for Keying since it's using 4:1:1 (NTSC) and even worse 4:2:0 (PAL)... I am still trying to find a way to resample this format in a way that will remove the matte line artifacts that are a result of this (lossy) compression method.
You may have seen the screenie on the news page, this one has a better compression quality:

Now I only hope Mark will give us exact Frame Access in the Movie Command Set. this would allow me to drop the entire MCI Sendstring desaster (that forces me to use Fullscreen BTW) and make a nice App in windowed mode.