Vertex painting

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Vertex painting

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#1]
just playing about, first time ive ever used vertex paint

question: does a vertex map count as a surface, since its part of the object ?

1597 polys (tris)

Matty(Posted 2005) [#2]
Surfaces are not just textures. All vertices must belong to 1 surface. If you have a look the command reference on createmesh(), createsurface() and the addvertex() commands you will see that the vertices always belong to a particular surface. I think it looks good what you've done but obviously because you are just changing vertex colors you need it to be reasonably high poly I would have thought to get any detail looking okay.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#3]
it was just one of those weird ideas, where i thought for disposable bad guys of say 1k polys, i could vert paint them instead of an image map, this way i could cut down on surfaces, so instead of having mesh+image map (2 surfaces)
i would have mesh vert painted (1) surface

ive got to stop having these wierd ideas and get out more

LAB[au](Posted 2005) [#4]
mesh+image map = 1 surface, a surface is a continuous list of faces/vertices (with X,Y,Z,U,V,W coordinates), a mapping will not create a surface of its own...AT least that's what I believe!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'd use a regular texture and vertex colours to add variety and cheaply adjust the model for different environments and lighting.But I think you should always use textures initialy. Textures are a bit of a drag, particularly the mapping side of things, but its usualy worth it and doesn't have to be expensive.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#6]
#Lab[au] your quite right mesh+image map = 1 surface

i just did a countsurfaces , with/without image
just goes to show i know even less than i thought i knew

well i live and learn

#evak textures are a drag
i second that, give me rigging any day