animation practice

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/animation practice

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#1]
just getting some practice in on animation cycles
the timings abit slow on the slide but thats handled by blitz later, just for positioning honest ;)

> slide avi/zip 1.92mb < #edit a little faster

> run anim 1.85mb avi <

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
Awesome! I wish I could do that!... But I suck at computer art... Looks cool!

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#3]
getting there slowly, alot better than my first attempt

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#4]
Most beginner animators make the same mistake (same with physics programmers....strange) of making it too slow. play that double speed and it will look much more realistic.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#5]
well if it was full speed we would be able to spot the mistakes more easily. These are actually not bad.
run cycles are very hard to do as are walk cycles, but its obvious you are on the right track. its just the extra refinement that makes it look spot on.
if I was you I would do it at around 30 fps in your 3d program.
you can probably get away with doing around 18 frames for a
walk cycle .

Another important thing to look for is the animation curves at the end of your cycle. Do they go from a nice curve to a straight line or do they meet up as it were. This can help make the cycle smoother.
This problem is particularly noticeable if you are using biped in max.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#6]
curves at the end of your cycle. Do they go from a nice curve to a straight line or do they meet up as it were

by this do you mean jerky bits on cycle loop...making sure it loops in a decent fashion

when im doing any type of cycle i copy start frame to end frame+1, say i had a cycle for 30 frames set up the 1st key frame, then copy this frame to frame 31, this way after i have done the deed i simply extract 1 to 30 it loops very nice, this lets the software worry about spline curves and looping the anim

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#7]
Looks great. What are you modelling/animating with?

I agree with boomboom --needs to be faster. (Refering to the edited slide avi/zip) ...Even faster.

...And yes, it is funny that nearly *every* physics demo I've ever seen is about half the speed it should be at. It's easy to be caught up in the beauty of natural movement whether you've slaved over it in an animation program or generated it automatically with a physics library---and it's made even more beautiful in slow motion.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#8]
all done in lightwave

the speed of the anim does need some work, i tend to over do the frames, im reading up on dope sheets which might help me there

but when its ingame blitz will take care of the speed