Media Subscription Service?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Media Subscription Service?

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Who would be interested in a media subscription service? Users would pay something like $19.95 a month, and get access to all produced textures and models, as well as all existing media (in our high-res 1024x1024 versions). We could put out new texture and model packs every month, and post our plans a couple months in advance. Users could vote for the media they want the most. I could get a ton of quality art made for independent developers to use. Textures, models, sound, everything. I have three really good artists that are just sitting around with nothing to do right now.

Sample of our textures (1024x1024 each):

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#2]
I've got about five people who are interested, I will proceed with it if we get a total of ten subscribers.

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#3]
I would be. I assume they are useable in commercial projects.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#4]
What amount and quality are we talking about ?
How big will the lib be ?

/Alienforce

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#5]
I would be interested in that.
Not that I'll be using it (no point for me right now) any time soon, but if I did need lots of media that kind of service would probably be the first thing I do.

Of course, that's assuming that it's a good service, which I trust it will be judging by your stuff so far.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm thinking like $19.95/month, three month minimum. The more people sign up, the more stuff I can afford to have done. I'm not asking for credit card numbers right now, just trying to see if enough people are interested. Right off the bat, you would have access to all our textures, as well as our WWII weapons collection. Then we would add texture and model packs every month.

We've been getting a lot of requests for urban and medieval texture packs. The difference between our textures and a lot of free stuff is that we use a definite color scheme and have consistent saturation and color levels, instead of just making a bunch of photos seamless. That's one reason why real games always look so much better than randomly textured maps.

Our artists' work is really awesome, and I would really like to their skills being put to good use.

At a minimum, I'd say we could put out one large texture pack like the sci-fi one, one smaller one like the terrain, and a model pack of map-type meshes, like sci-fi architecture, or medieval items or buildings. Skinned models always take more time, so I would probably want to avoid those to begin with.

If more people joined, I could get four texture packs and two model packs out each month, plus a new music album each month.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#7]
I´m in.... Put me on the list.

/Alienforce

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#8]
That's the right thing to do. If we get a few more people, I will write up a definite plan, let you guys decide what kind of stuff you want made the first month, and do it.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#9]
Definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in. I assume you're going to open this up and draw in customers from other places than just Blitz and TGC? I'm sure this would appeal to the 3dGS, 3dRad and other communities.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#10]
With the money I make on my salary, monthly fees are hard to handle (when good games come out on the mainstream market, they're mine) so I suggest you consider annual charging (and that may be a bit pricey for monthly charges).

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yeah , i think 60.00 quarterly for textures is pricey to me for type of service you are trying to set up.

Magazines like 3D ARTIST that often come with media, and software are the same price. and you get the CD gems and a great magazine to read.

If you made texure packs and sold them for the 20.00 like your asking for above. I would buy a pack if it was to my liking and fit my needs just right. Just dedicating money for work unseen feels wrong :)

An artist can make great textures, but how many from each pack would i need or want even ? I have been searching for a company that sold packs that users can put together from a massive quality texture library. I think that would be successfull.

For example if you sold your textures for $1.00 each and let users create a pack of 20.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#12]
This can be discussed further on the forums at www.leadwerks.com

As long as people just sit by on the sidelines, we can't do anything. I've spent money out of my own pocket getting our most recent texture packs done, but I can't keep spending and not making anything back.

You know our stuff is the best.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#13]
if its not profitable-dont do it

or find a way of making it profitable
reduce the price,

some good apps cost less than 20$ a month

maximo(Posted 2005) [#14]
Make a game!

And now he is going by the name Unknown...

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#15]
"As long as people just sit by on the sidelines, we can't do anything."

translation.
As long as you dont buy my stuff, i cant make money!

my guess is that the people on the sidelines could care less if you succeed, fail, or do anything at all.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#16]
yeah saying this: "As long as people just sit by on the sidelines, we can't do anything" is really lame. it's you who are sitting on the sidelines doing nothing waiting for someone else to order the products you dont have...

there are so many things you can do and you are sitting right now doing nothing, you're pretty stupid to say that. you got 3 guys with great talent, you your self got coding tallent and you come here and accusse people to be sitting on sidelindes doing nothing, what a dick :D

sswift(Posted 2005) [#17]
Hey Maximo, "Unknown" means he was banned. That's not his new alias.

He was banned for swearing in another thread.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#18]
you are so cute swift :) I like your personality, allways helpfull, good worded and talented :)

btw I know that Unknown means banned :)

sswift(Posted 2005) [#19]
You use more smileys than I do! And that's not easy!

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#20]
now what did he do to get banned? Halo I mean

sswift(Posted 2005) [#21]
Faelorn:
I said, three posts up. :-)

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#22]
oh I need to read the entire thread more often :D

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#23]
Surprise, surprise.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#24]
Media Subscription Service?

A subscription service always looks good on paper. You can basically sell the same product over and over, and generate profit over a longer period of time vs a one time sell. Yes this sounds very good.

However, I'm not sure if a "Media Subscription Service" fits the model that well. Not to say it cannot be done, but, artwork usually meets specific needs...a specific vision. I'm not sure if folks are willing to pay for art on monthly basis that doesnt meet their needs, no matter the quality.

Now I would be very interested in a subscription service that gave my company with little or no budget, access to artist who could guarantee the production of some custom artwork. I have seen this marketing model used for Lawyers, in which you paid a small monthly subscription to SAVE on large retainer fees in the event legal issues popped up. The company: Prepaid Legal Services.

hmm? Prepaid Freelance Artist...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#25]
Very good idea Frank. excelent. Where have you been?

Personally ive got something nice going on at the mo. I'm quite happy with it too. I dnot have alot of time free these days to be honest because of it. You have givem me an idea though.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#26]
good then I am gonna start prepaid freelance artist service. You can all pay me 20$ month, and when/if the need arrises i will make some custom stuff for you ;) How many people do we have? Do I hear 10 voices from the crowd already? here sign up here, pay 20$ now come back few months later ;)

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#27]
Haha, I love this :D This community rocks out loud. I saw the stuff that's being sold and the price. Overall, my opinion, that's steep. A small pack of textures 1024x1024 for 30 bucks? [hijack] I got my 100+ pack coming out eventually that's all 1024x1024 and seamless for less! [/hijack]

Disregard that last sentence ... ::slaps hand:: bad Tyler :D

Anyhow they do appear to be very high quality, but I'm not sure you're offering enough for the price you're laying down. You might try building a database of a thousand or so seamless 1024's before offering a subscription service for them. And hold onto to your bandwith, cause those will eat em' up.