Hey... Do You Guys Split...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Hey... Do You Guys Split...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#1]
... up your models symetrically and only make one half... then clone and mirror the other half, and combine it to make the final...

--Mike

JKP(Posted 2005) [#2]
It obviously depends on the object you are modelling. A lot of objects have at least on line of symmetry. I found the method particularly useful for modelling a human with subdivision surfaces in Maya.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#3]
I often start off that way and then seperate the torso and other parts that I want to have seperate or have non mitrored mapping and finish off the modeling before mapping. But I try to mirror quite a bit to save texture space.

I usually combine the modeling and mapping into one process as it's often best to consider how your going to map the thing whilst modeling it, and that usually means either the arms or legs will often be symetrical, or can share the same map for the most part, but other areas that want to look a bit less generic like the torso would get some extra attention, afterall if your going to go to the trouble of mapping the entire torso or whatever without mirroring, there's not much point wasting the opportunity to make the character more interesting.

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#4]
If it's a symetrical object then yes. Parts that aren't
symetrical are added or deleted after I put the two halves
together. It makes UV map skinning easier and cheaper

polygoon(Posted 2005) [#5]
What is it Mike? And what modelling software is it? Some are easier than others to split and mirror, and sometimes that can depend on your modeller too.

Your probably doing a plane or a sub I'd guess? (assuming you are the same Mike, Red/Oct I think you must be! ;O)

Good candidates in the right modeller.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
yeah... it's basic symetrical shapes you'd find in structures like boat hulls, autos, planes... stuff like that...

i use truespace primarily... and also do a lil bit with milkshape...

... just wanted to get some input from different modellers on their techniques and why they go that route...

--Mike

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
Um... I just don't model the other half.

Then when I've finished I duplicate, flip, flattern the points down the middle and weld them.

I tend to do the above a few times throughout the modelling process to make sure it looks right, then delete the duplicated group.

Of course it's usually best to UV map before duplicating as then all the UVs get duplicated too so it saves you time, then you can uv map bits of it again to add special bits and pieces in specific areas.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
I always use a virtual mirror when modelling symetrical stuff in Wings3D. That's what it's for. :)