My first half decent render

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My first half decent render

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
Finally I've rendered a nice image :D

It was for the title page for a short book report on the book Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. The labels on the bottles are a bit misplaced in parts, and I didn't get a great camera angle to demonstrate the different labels (although I quite like how it shows off my bottles which I'm extremely pleased with). All in all I'm very pleased with it because it only took 2 hours :D
I'm not saying it's great, but I'm pleased.
Amazingly too, the printout was nicer looking than the image on a computer screen, which I find is a very rare occurence.

The reddish wall being too short was an accident, but it turned out to be a useful border for the title and information to go inside of.

So... What do you think? The bottles are my favourite part :D

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
It looks bad and you should feel bad.

Dunno, actually. Not my style- looks like the thingy on the back of a toilet.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#3]
image no work :(

sswift(Posted 2005) [#4]
I like how it appears to be some kind of tech art from the 1960's.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you flipped it and made it into a Book cover it could look pretty cool, so the left side is on the right, Then the front woudln't be to cluttered to add a nice title block.

I'm not that familiar with huxley, only read the doors of perception (think thats what it was called anyway). Writing about experiences when under the influence of some drug or other.

I like the render anyway, has a certain something about it, despite not being the kind of thing I normaly like.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#6]
I like it, it has a nice style to it.

skn3(Posted 2005) [#7]
They don't really look like bottles, and the bottles are too low poly. You can see the edges in a supposedly glass/plastic object. Could do with some lighting aswell.

Crit aside, it does have a certain style which fits your description.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Noel R. Cower (Posted 2005-02-08 17:55:28)
It looks bad and you should feel bad.
I haven't seen you do anywhere near as good in 3D.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#9]
I actually should have put up the title page version. Not going to bother resizing it and changing it from cmyk to rgb mode now though, but with text it looks as though all of the problems with the wall and conveyor belt and stuff being too short were completely purposeful, and for artistic purposes as opposed to realism. It looks like you guys got that anyway though :D Thanks for the feedback!

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#10]
I think it has an almost 'pulp' art feel. Very good and inspired I think, artistically.

As a render, well, my only real criticism is it seems to lack depth - light/shadows, but this would ruin the art anyway - so - well done!

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#11]
I dig it! It does strike me as "60's style", I keep thinking of Peter Sellers in "The Party". :) Lookin good!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#12]
Looks fine, just poor lighting. Don't feel bad, my first lighting blew chunks, and I'm considered a professional now! I eventually got good enough to do CG lighting on the show Roughnecks, and the movie Jimmy Neutron.

Here's a link to a charactor, of which I didn't model, that I lit for this promotion image for my buddies animation school. I taught lighting and fx there for a year. http://www.daveschool.com/main_gallery2.htm. I've been in the CG business for 14 years now. I'm currently working at DNA productions on film for Warmer Brothers.

Your lighting is just too flat. Use a key light from the left with a warmer color like redish pink. This should be your brightest light, for it is used to define the subject in the shot. Make in very faint color, should be mostly white. Then have a second cooler light on the right coming from behind. This is your fill light. I would make that a little blue. Then for extra kick, Use a white light in back and on top to highlite only the outline of the bottles. This is calle the hair light.

The use of colors is a little tricky. Warmer colors draw the eye in, cool colors pull the eye away. Well, at least in theory, I just know what looks pretty. If you look at your pic now, there are no cool colors at all. Almost makes it look like it's in a steam heated area. Having a cooler apposing color would nullify that effect.

Mess with the lights a little. They make all the difference in the world!

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#13]
Very cool. Thanks for the advice :D
I would have never thought about all that myself!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#14]
Really like it.

@Craig: Jimmy Neutron?!?! Man, you sure are professional! Someone like you could be like...building Mars or something like that. :)

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#15]
Mars, nah. They did that in the mid 80s with photos of the mars surface itself. It was one of the first 3d elevation map animations ever made, next to the Las Angeles flyby. Holy crap I'm old.

Yeah, funny that I have all this 3d experience and I primarily focus on making 2d games, lol. Guess I don't like feeling like I'm at work.

Ask any question you want about 3D stuff, I've use just about everything. Although I do mostly specialize in Lighting and FX. I used to do a lot of hardware animation, but I'm getting away from that. If you ever saw the Movie Jimmy Neutron, I did the shot with 133 (I think) Chichen spaceships flying toward earth. That shot had somewhere near 70 composite layers. That's 70 seperate renders on top of each other.

Now if I could only do Blitz stuff as good at the 3d stuff.