The best music I ever wrote... but it needs a name

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The best music I ever wrote... but it needs a name

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok, last night i may just have written the best piece of music i have ever written. It is an orchestral piece made to loop, great for menu music and the like.

It is copyright to me, blah blah blah... but i cant stop you using it for your personal listening pleasure. :)

So here it is:
http://www.extremecad.co.nz/IanShephard-81-low.mp3

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if you think of a good name for it too. I just couldnt think of one.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'd lose the human voice. Not too bad, sounds very Vangelis Conquest in Paradise like.

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#3]
yea, as rob says. replace it with some brass instuments, or use better samples.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
I love it - especially the chorus.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#5]
MY FERKIN GAWD!

Dude, this rules... Nice work :D

I like the voices but you could do with better quality ones, (get some real singers if you can?)

[edit]

Dude, I dont doubt you can get places with music like that. Heres luck to you!!!

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#6]
Very nice. I like it as is. :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#7]
(these comments are comments that don't depend the soundsystem used)

.the choirs are messing-up the background a bit
.little dynamics
.the melody is a bit masked by all the counterlines

-imho-

$0.02 :)

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#8]
Cheers guys.
I might consider making some public domain songs if i have enough people interested.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#9]
It sounds really good.
I recall you saying you would consider writing a tutorial that explains how to make music like that. I would be very interested in that, because I have no clue how you do it.
I myself used to produce hiphop beats, but I don't know how to write something in this style (and hiphop beats wouldn't fit in with my game).
I've tried it a few times, but all my attempts are too poppy in structure (two or four bars of piano/whatever chords that are looping, a melody on top of that, some strings and bass that more-or-less follow the chords, ...). So I would be very gratefull if you could explain how you do it.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yeah sure fall_x,
I am currently writing a tutorial to teach people how to create such pieces in FruityLoops.
Now i'm not sure how "musically accurate" they will be, because i have never had any musical training. I taught myself to play the piano and subsiquently cant read music. But i cant give explanations on how to compose stuff like in this post.

I will warn you though, it takes quite alot of effort and time. The piece in this post took me just over six hours to perfect. But once its done, you wont regret loosing a few hours over it.

I am trying to write the tutorial so it can be applied to other programs like reason, but because i have never used reason and neither do i have a copy, i cant write it reason speciffic.

I will post the tutorial when it is finished in this section of the forum, so keep an eyeout.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#11]
Now i'm not sure how "musically accurate" they will be, because i have never had any musical training. I taught myself to play the piano and subsiquently cant read music.
Neither can I... But I do now some theory. If you ever want to learn a bit about scales and chords, I recommend this : http://harmony-central.com/Bass/Lessons/
Then check out "Lessons on Bass Line Construction" - it's obviously for learning how to play the bass, but it can be applied to other things as well, and it is all pretty straight-forward. It got me started a few years ago.
I will warn you though, it takes quite alot of effort and time. The piece in this post took me just over six hours to perfect. But once its done, you wont regret loosing a few hours over it.

What, do you think creating a hiphop beat or any other type of music doesn't take that long? :)

Looking forward to that tutorial!

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ummm *whisles* I create hiphop stuff in an hour or so. Nowhere near as coplex.
The hardest part i find is the drum beat not the actual tune.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#13]
Wow! Nice work!

Suggestions for Names:

"Triumphant Ascent"
"Battle for Freedom"
"Final Ascent"
"Defiant Return"
"Proud Moments"
"Defiance"
"Ascension"
"One Moment In Life"
"Defiant Victory"
"Victorious Defiance"
"The Victorius Return"
"One Last Battle"
"Battle for Life"
"Final Battle"

Just a few thoughts, it's what this 'says' to me when I lesten to it.

IPete2.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#14]
Ahaa!
Excelent! Cheers IPete2!!
I like "Victorious Defiance" and "One last battle"
Hmmmmmm, now to choose...

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#15]
I can create a loop in an hour as well, but making the structure and being sure it fits perfectly with your lyrics, and mixing it all down will take longer than that.
Not to mention digging trough your crates of vinyl for the samples (if you're using downloaded samples or soundfonts for a hiphop beat, then you're plain cheating). Sometimes it can take hours just finding the right snare :)

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#16]
@fall_x you do all you music from vinyl samples you are the Jack of all trades cd samples easy to do from vinyl means you the king :)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'm the king? Is that supposed to be sarcastic? :)

In hiphop, you just can't sample cd's or download your samples, because sampling is part of making a hiphop beat, and if you use someone else's samples, it's just not your beat. And that takes time.
But for a soundtrack for a game, I would have no problem using a GM soundset or whatever.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#18]
Very, very nice.

Sampled human voices always sound pretty cheezy... Boomboom's right, brass would sound nice. The voices are particularly bad on particularly high or low notes far away from where it was sampled. A sample per octave would help with this kind of thing, since as you go through various octaves the quality and basic structure of the sound waves are going to change. In a real human voice atleast. Same with instruments obviously. Maybe you already have this going on, if so then your samples really arent that good XD.

.the choirs are messing-up the background a bit
.little dynamics
.the melody is a bit masked by all the counterlines
Dunno about the melody masking stuff, I'll agree sometimes its a bit hard to discern a specific melody at a time and say "this is the melody", but that doesnt really matter. Choir doesnt really belong, i'll agree. Dynamics could use work, generally you will find that when you play higher (I play trombone myself), on most insturments, especially brass, you will play louder higher and quieter lower. Also, have general buildup and falldown on top of this. So, look for "peak" spots in feelings attributed to the piece, and start it up quiter than it is now and build up to a louder volume than it is now, fall down again, buildup, etc. In this particular piece the peak spots are pretty obvious. Dont make the dynamics too big though. You dont want to start clipping the waveforms, effectivly making square waves.

Just offering some construfctive crit - I'd be very happy if I could make something like this myself

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#19]
Cheers,
It was only ment for a background for a menu, so i really wasnt THAT bothered on the actual shape of the music.
If you guys want some of this for yourself for FREE then check this out:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43238

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#20]
Very nice, I like it a lot!

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#21]
the schtarrrrrrrrr of teh fairy tail... oh wrong song, oi i like it !

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#22]
Wow! I like it a lot!
Sounds like music for a menu of
a war game like Full Spectrum Warrrior.

Nice job!

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#23]
Cool
I would just call it:
Ascension

I've been using fruity loops for 4 + years and still learning it's nuances. I used to dj in hawaii and I just finished my
18th album in Iraq. Started selling em too.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#24]

The hardest part i find is the drum beat not the actual tune.

i can create soemthing in an hour or so, HipHop realy isnt that difficult.. Get a simple beat, Add a tad of distortion; mix it up (beatslicer "roxxxxorrrrrrrreeezzz". No. i cant be bothered to do numbers.)

Of course, it takes a while to learn fruityloops as in depth as some do. I can throw out a track in an hour, yes, but to do that, no matter what you use to create it, you lose quality and heart. Spend a few horus a day for a few weeks on a track to finish it. Thats what I do.

I've been using fruity loops for 4 + years and still learning it's nuances.

4 years ago it was barely a music sequencer. I been around that long with it too. Got my free copy from college. Pretty much know it all now :/ got to use the new automation clips yet though.

weebo(Posted 2005) [#25]
Lose the voice definately. Call it:

"My Ex from 4 years ago called me yesterday"
"she is playing with my mind"
"I hate women, I hate you all"
or
"Call of the fluted monkey"