Mining Ship

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Mining Ship

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here is my latest attempt at sci-fi space ship modelling. I can safely say that this one is my best 3d model yet! It's a small, moderately armed, mining ship. I was inspired to make something with a bit more shape to it by Stephen Norling's article on greebling (Here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/tutorials/norling/greeble/greeble.html).
I also was trying to make a ship that did not have wings, (for added agility in a large asteroid field, for example), and instead give it a bit of curvature to make it still look nice (just to say, I have decided that having ships like that rather than with wings gives a lot more freedom, and I think I'll use that style from now on with my game, except for in certain circumstances).
It is obviously not yet finished as I have not yet textured it, it needs to look better when smoothed out (hey, can you actually give me a few pointers on making 3d models still continue to look decent when they're smooth?), and I intend to add a few final touches (such as doing something with those higher up opennings at the front (the bottom ones are headlights)). So, what do you think? What more do you think I should do to this?

All that, including the little roundish (purposefully not cylindrical) rocket launcher thingy, is only a bit over 1660 polygons :D

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
Mining ships should not have rocket launchers (unless the rockets serve some kind of mining purpose...).

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#3]
why couldnt they? It should totally depend on the setting of the game.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
The game is set in a very unstable time during a very large war, so it is necessary that mining operations protect themselves. I could also easily claim that the rockets are to knock chunks off of rocks too :) Depends on my mood. I just told you both, so you can tell it's the morning.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
As I mentioned on another post... I would suggest working out how this ship works and what parts are needed. If it lands it needs landing gear. If not it needs the ability for things to dock with it. Where is the bridge? Where is it's fuel held etc etc.

You think about these things and the model becomes logical and not just shapes for show.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#6]
Rob, you're right. I should grab some all terrain landing gear. I'll put up my new mesh in a while.
Fuel is held magically (actually, somewhere inside), and materials picked up by the arm are harvested in a way which I will not bother to describe - it just looks cool.

samhall(Posted 2005) [#7]
it does indeed look cool!

- SamHall