Lego Man

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Lego Man

po(Posted 2005) [#1]

GIF(133KB): http://www.paulleduc.com/modelpage.html (bottom)

A Lego man made of 5 seperate models (head, body, legs, arms , hands.)

Whole Lego man: 21 objects, 1957 faces, 3547 edges and 2792 vertices.
I'm suprised that it's that high poly. :/

I think i'm gonna make "Lego Man Studio" or something like that, i've already made it so you can change the colours of each part with the click of a button. (Don't worry, I got permission from Lego :) )

I don't know why some parts are blue in the last pic. Wings just imported(.3ds) it like that. I think it has something to do with UU3D doing something with duplicate groups.

Anyways, tell me what you think.

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#2]
You should check out Leocad for these,... it's a 3d modelling app with lego pieces.

http://www.leocad.org/

I think just about every lego piece ever made is in there, and you can even export it to .3ds

Anyone want to make a lego game in 3D?

cermit(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice work po it really looks like a lego man : )

po(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks. :)

Pongo: Woah, that's cool. There are lots of 3D Lego games, I like Lego Racers 2: http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/product.asp?Title=Racers+2&Code=PC

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2005) [#5]
Remember though that Lego is fairly anal about using Lego related items in your projects. So beware the lawyers.

I tried my hand at a lego game a long time ago. I had some trouble figuring out how to make everything look like lego, while keeping a low polycount. Those little round pins on every block really tend to mess up the polycount in a scene *fast*. Perhaps now it can be done with normal mapping or shaders instead of modeling them?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#6]
You wanna talk about LEGO - ask Ruz (of Skinny Bob the Jester fame), he's worked for them in some software respect and even has a couple of piccies on his website.

IPete2.

po(Posted 2005) [#7]
Well, I asked if I could make a lego game at the website and here is what they said:

Dear Mr LeducThank you for your email from 01/18/05 and for your interest in our LEGO® products.We're flattered that you wish to use the LEGO name or a drawing or picture of one of our bricks in a video or special project. Since this project is for personal and not commercial use, we're happy to accommodate your request. Please be sure to use LEGO as an adjective (models built of LEGO bricks) and not as a noun (models built of LEGOs). Additionally, the word LEGO should always have a registered trademark "®" after it. Please note that we are unable to allow others to use the red LEGO logo.You can find a great deal of information about the LEGO Company on our website at www.LEGO.com/. Please click on "Site Index" at the top of the page and then on "About Us". You will get to a list of different types of information about our company, for example "The LEGO Brand" or "Facts & Figures". Under each heading you find more detail, for example "Fundamental Beliefs" and "History".Thank you

Mr. Leduc :)

cermit(Posted 2005) [#8]
They actuly emailed back :D im impressed

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hey!!! thats really cool :), I actually worked on a licensed lego game once about 5 years ago, that was pretty interesting. Lego actually built custom pieces that we designed specialy. They were pretty touchy about getting exact match on the colours we had to use a lego colour chart and eyedrop the colours for the bricks. Got a few renders of some of some of it.

GitTech(Posted 2005) [#10]
Very cool!!

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2005) [#11]
So non-commercial use is allowed eh? Wicked :D
I'll have to pull some stuff out of the dustpile and work on it again :) LEGO is, even after 15 years, still the #1 toy for me :) Awesome stuff to play with! :)

po(Posted 2005) [#12]
Evac: Cool, they look like the real thing!
Defiance: Yup, Lego is the best!