Anyone order a 50 piece orchestra?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Anyone order a 50 piece orchestra?

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok, I now have the ability to create complex orchestral pieces of music to your requirements.
Very cheep ;)

What was that? A sample you say? Yeah alright heres one I knocked up in 5 hours... straight.

http://www.extremecad.co.nz/WarOnTwoFronts.mp3

Again this piece "War On Two Fronts" is Copyright Ian Shephard 2005. All Rights Reserved.

It may not be used without purchasing or gaining permission from the author (me).

Other than that, let me know what you think.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#2]
Did you go and get that product I read about in Game Developer recently? It was some music software I think that was designed for writing orchestra music and had tons of quality samples.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#3]
No actually I descovered a new feature in Fruity Loops that i never knew existed. And it didnt cost me a cent.

If anyone is interested I could write a tutorial on making such music.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#4]
Just downloaded the song.

It's nicely done, but the sound is kind of muddy.

Maybe it is compressed too much... Kinda sounds that way.
But it also sounds like maybe there is too much echo/reverb so there's never really a quiet moment to provide contrast even when only snares are playing.

The musical aspect of it is very good though. It's a good song.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeah the compression makes it sound like crap, i will render out a better version and upload it...

Hang a sec.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#6]
New feature? Like the ability to play multiple copies of an instrument offset randomly in time and pitch by some small amount to simulate lots of people playing at once?

I've used fruityloops. Nice program. Bit hard to figure out, and doesn't come with enough samples, but once you do figure out the basics it's pretty painless. I dunno how you'd do the above though in it, I haven't used it too much.

danjo(Posted 2005) [#7]
i won a copy of fruityloops, and im stil scratching my head at it O_o

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well its not a new feature, more a feature i didnt even knew existed. Its called soundfonts. You can pick up quality orchestral samples in SoundFont from for the small price of $0.00. I thought it was worth buying them. ;)

But the real challenge is the actual arrangement of the songs.

PS: you will have to excuse me i am only on a 56k connection so uploading a 1.7 mb file takes longer than a couple of secs. Almost done though.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah soundfonts and fruity loops rule, I use them also. Check out my site:

sswift(Posted 2005) [#10]
If I'm not mistaken, soundfonts are just collecitons of instrument samples, but there's one sample for each octave in the better soundfonts so that you don't get as much distortion of the true sound the instrument would produce, as you would if you just modulated a single sample at middle C.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#11]
Right better quality song is now in the link at the top of the page.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#12]
Correctemundo. Give that man a cigar.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yes thats right. You simply dont get the ability to make the likes of viola sounds defaultly in Fruity Loops.

So as Caff says, soundfonts rule!

sswift(Posted 2005) [#14]
Sounds quite a bit better.

But it still takes too long for the reverb to attenuate. In my opinion. :-)

It's particularly noticeable in the last quarter where you have the snares and horns or something. When the snares are by themsevles the echo is just there muddying things, and if it's there, then it's elsewhere in the song too and the whole song might sound sharper without so much.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#15]
I know what you mean, but it just sounds no good with any less reverb on it, it sounds like it was recorded in the toliet bowl if theres no reverb.

Hence the fact that with no reverb it would sound like crap. :)

Thanks for the feedback though.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#16]
Firstly - the compression is evil! I don't know what you're using but find a different codec / convertor!

If your sample sounds crap without reverb, then it's not a good sample! That's my motto anyway. I used to endlessly tweak / apply FX to samples, but it's pointless if the underlying sample is no good, you're just kidding yourself in the long run.

Whilst the main track (strings + horns) sounds ok, the drums sound very synthetic. You can overcome this by using natural samples instead of soundfonts, and another key thing is to look at bring the drum patterns into the piano roll (right click a channel and say 'Piano Roll' - be warned - this removes the step sequencer!) - using this you can tweak the volumes / position of each of the snares to create a more natural sounding roll. The piano roll takes a bit of getting used to, but once you learn it, you can *really* master Fruity Loops.

I now use a MIDI keyboard to play the basic parts in, then tweak them. I've been using fruityloops for about 4 years now, but for most of that time I didn't have a keyboard to work with. It really does help create a more natural sound.

Good luck :)

sswift(Posted 2005) [#17]
Without a piano roll I wouldn't even consider fruityloops a decent music making program and I'm surprised anyone used it before they finally added that. I used to compose mods, but I stopped because I had a hard time getting good samples, and I was severely limited by 4 tracks of music. I couldn't upgrade to a better tracker, becuase there were none... The one I used had a piano roll and none of the others did... They all required you to type in notes by hand. What a crappy way to write music!

I also haven't gotten into doing any music in fuityloops on the piano roll because it's not a mod format, and if I'm gonna be forced to put MP3 music in my game I might as well have a real musician write it, or go with the cheap solution which is use the music loops I bought for Acid to make techno music.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#18]
On a non-spiteful note: That sounds pretty decent :D
I definietly am incapable of composing that sort of stuff myself, so I'm impressed by your ability *glance at sswift* to use fruityloops since it sounds like a rather crazy program. (though also powerful, I presume).

sswift(Posted 2005) [#19]
I wasn't being spiteful, I was offering constructive criticism so he can improve upon it.

And if I thought it was sucky I wouldn't have said anything at all. I just thought it could use a little improvement. I'm not going to take insult if someone tells me that my photos are a bit red and need adjustment.

I said the music was good. I don't praise things unless I mean it. :-)

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#20]
Thanks for that guys, I am currently trying to get better samples of snare drums, but they are so hard to find good ones.

If anyone knows of anywhere that has decent (preferably free :) samples let me know.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#21]
http://www.sf2midi.com - great soundfonts
http://www.hammersound.net/ - again awesome soundfonts
http://www.samplenet.co.uk/ - WAV format instruments

Also there are hundreds of stores on the web selling sample CD's and so on - very high quality, but can be expensive. Better to make your own loops anyway!

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#22]
Ahhhhh www.hammersound.net is where i got my other soundfonts from but i havnt tried the others.

Cheers for that.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#23]
I love fruity loops, especially with milk (YUM!)

cermit(Posted 2005) [#24]
Fruity loops sounds really tasty :) i'll have some too :D

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#25]
I couldn't connect to your server, tho I really wonder how it sounds since I found it real hard to make pro-like soundtrack. You know something like the real big hollywood movies, star wars and so on. Anyway, I found sounddogs.com may be a cheap resource for professional royalty free classical movie soundtrack, tho the demos are in a painfull low sound quality, to prevent theft.

So help me to DL yours, so I can compare.

BTW did anyone of you ever realize how extremly good the soundtrack of the toon series "kids next door KND" is? :o)

GfK(Posted 2005) [#26]
Sounds good.

Soundfonts are nothing new at all. The Awe32/64 soundcards from 6 or 7 years ago had their own memory which could be used to store soundfonts on the card itself.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#27]
jfk:
Give me your email address and i will send it to you.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#28]
EDIT: removed adress.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#29]
Thanks for sending me the file. Very impressive, and a perfect soundtrack for an intro- or endsequence! Great work. Congrats!

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#30]
Personally I'm a Cubase man, never got on with anything else really, but then I've had cubase so long my version doesn't support long filenames! I do very little on the computer, all of my sounds are created from 'real' instruments as in external lumps of electronics rather than VST instruments or samples. And before anyone starts getting pedantic yes I know they're samples on external devices too. I'll download your track tonight and have a listen.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#31]
Hey, this wasn't bad at all! Definately one of the best Blitzer made musical piece I have heard so far. It has potential... very nice work! How cheap is cheap?

Physt(Posted 2005) [#32]
That were good!

Pricelist?

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#33]
where is a good place to get orchestral sound fonts?

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#34]
www.hammersound.net
Thats where i got all mine for the song on this page.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#35]

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#36]
For making orchestral sounding strings here's a handy hint:
If you're playing an A minor for example, play the A and E and play the C an octave higher, it sounds great.

I think the sounds you're using are very poor, the music is a little cheesy, but it's ok. I really think if you're going to do this sort of stuff you've got to get a Korg or Roland synth, these brands tend to have very clean and pure orchestral sounds that sound great for doing this sort of thing. Steer clear of Yamaha unless you're doing techno!

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#37]
Rob:
I didnt find them cheesy at all. I think when people are used to listening to very clear ultra high quality orchestral songs they will pick up what you have. But the layman who plays the likes of COD will not.

Besides if people want ultra clean songs they would have to pay for them, and to be honest, i dont know many game developers (in the lower end market) that would fork out the likes of $3000 a song.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#38]
Ice,

You misunderstand me. I'm suggesting if you get yourself a bit of equipment you'll be able to create much nicer sounding tunes.

Here's a round up of the 3 main bits I use for my tunes:

You can pick up a Korg sound module that has superb samples on board for under £100. I've got an Korg 05r/w and it's brilliant for your clean sounds. Get one of these and use in conjuntion with your soundcard and you'll have a wealth of warm and rich sounds, as well as some nice dirty stuff from soundfonts.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Korg/05R-W-01.html
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/korg05rw.cfm

Get yourself a Yamaha DJX for under £100 for phat drums, basses and filter effects, it's got a couple of expression knobs on it for making your sounds squelch into weirdness, fantastic for special fx and techno sweepy stuff. On top of this it's got a full size velocity sensitive keyboard that makes a great controller. Also the expression wheels all send midi signals that you can map to different controllers.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/DJX-01.html
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/yamaha_djxpsr-d1.cfm

The Akai SG01v is a vintage sound module, it contains about 300 sounds from 80s synths, although limited use there are some great nasty 80s sounding bass sounds and string pads that are handy for filling in gaps. Again you can pick them up for under £100.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Akai/SG01v-01.html
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/akai_sg01v.cfm

None of this is expensive, but you can create some damn good stuff with this.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#39]
Oh yeah... sure.

But i'm currently slightly broke so they are out of the question for the moment ;)

Sorry i did misunderstand you.

Thats the problem with forums, you cant read peoples facial expressions or voice tone.

Sorry bout that.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#40]
Keep a bookmark to those links though, I would strongly recomend the Korg 05r/w as it's just packed full of clean quality sounds. Just checked ebay and there's one on for $75. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64385&item=3775404179&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Save your pennies, it'll be well worth it!

Caff(Posted 2005) [#41]
Personally, I can't see the point in these expensive bits of hardware when you can download samples and use a low-latency soundcard with MIDI input to use with the thousands of sample banks - including copies of the above Korg, Yamaha, Akai, etc etc. modules.

But I totally understand that some people love playing with real knobs rather than dragging a slider up and down :D There are subtle accoustic differences too.

I do believe a good quality, weighted-key keyboard is important though. Real instruments mixed in really help liven the mix too - for instance Rob's bomb-the-bass tune was much better due to his use of a real bass.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#42]
"expensive bits of hardware" < £100 ?

I think there's something very nice about using actual hardware and running it through a mixing desk, it also gives you further flexibility if you use your mixing desk fx sends. And allows you to add real stuff in the mix too.

Also the Piano sample on the Korg for example is not just a single sample, there are at least 8 samples as you go up through the keys.

gpete(Posted 2005) [#43]
I just got Reason 2.5 at a very reasonable $199 (US).
Version 3 is coming out soon so the price is discounted. In the week I've had it, I'm very impressed with the quality of the sounds and the "devices" within the program. The program has 2 synthesizers, 2 sample machines, an excellent mixer, a loop device, a drum module, pattern sequencer, and effects such as reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, distortion, and many others. It can output songs,sounds as Wav or AIFF files. Many new samples are available for free on the Propellerhead website to users.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#44]
I used to be a real hardware junkie, but I recently sold everything except for my MPC2000 sampler and my E-mu Proteus2000 (keyboard version, pk-6), my bass guitar and my Rodes microphone. I used to have electribes, a waldorf pulse, an alpha juno, two multitrack harddisk recorders, a bunch of effect boxes (cheap ones, zoom and behringer stuff), etc.
But in the end, I found myself a lot more productive music-wise when I just made music with fruity loops and cool edit :)
I think I might sell my MPC as well, because I don't use it anymore. But I still love it though, so it would be hard.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2005) [#45]
Hi.
THE Pro way is Cakewalk Sonar, with a Roland Keyboard, a yamaha SW1000G, Reason 2.5. This is what Attics uses to compose music for Arxspace.
Regards
Ion.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#46]
The song wasn't that bad concerning instrument sound quality. There was one single moment when I realized the strings where syntetic. But in a Game or Movie with additional enviroment soundtrack this wouldn't be obvious. When I said it's great, my opinion was based on all aspects, including the instrument quality. But I agree, if you really wanna go pro (surely won't be easy), you need better instruments.

Nevertheless I would buy this current soundtrack without to hesitate for any of my projects, be it a game or movie thing. I guess you still didn't tell us prices?

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#47]
Lol as i have said in other posts it all depends on the style and complexity of the piece.

That piece took me around 4 to 5 hours to perfect.

So I would sell something like that for around NZ$300 maby if someone offered $200 or even $175 i might consider. But basicly i sell a licence to use the piece for YOUR project, i retain the right to on sell it if the likes of EA or something ask for it.

Of course i could part for it for good but it would be quite costly (maby a couple of hundred more).

I'm really not sure. Let me know what you think, if you feel the prices are too steep then i'm sure we can sort something out.

:) I am always open to negotiation.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#48]

I totally understand that some people love playing with real knobs

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

/Immaturity

. Sorry!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#49]
maybe it's too expensive for royalty free non-exclusive usage, and too cheap for an exclusive license (that is defacto selling the copyright). I don't think it's a big lot of money, tho at the moment the only project I am working on is a zero-budget thing. All I can offer is a profit participation contract. I know, most people doubt that this thing works.

To compare prices you may go to a page like dounddogs.com and compare their prices. You know, the problem is: non-exclusive stuff may be very cheap because some distributers have a lot of customers (hundreds or thousands). So for you it's maybe easier to sell it exclusively at a higher price, than to try to competite the big companies concerning the price for non-exclusive royaltyfree media.

You see, you do not only need good music, you also need to know a lot about guerila-marketing.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#50]
The PRO way is whatever way lets you make the best music ;)
Nice work. im surprised you only just fonud soundfonts!!!! (okay, so it was weeks ago now...)