New Kid X model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New Kid X model

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#1]
just been updating my old kid model thought i would show and tell;)

2592 polys (tris) with weapon

____new version______________________________________________________ old version____

cermit(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks awesome! Keep the work up! :D

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#3]
thanks cermit..ive been at this for ages...still learning

texturing now theres an artform..give me rigging anytime
thank god for deep paint 3d

cermit(Posted 2005) [#4]
The texture looks awesome. Is everything painted in deep paint?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#5]
I like the cartoony shininess of the kid.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#6]
yeh all painted in deep paint as seperate UVs then baked out
in lightwave as a 1024 image map...on conversion the shininess will be a blitz thing as i didnt bake the Illumination..i did try but it looked terrible

mean..but still cartoony

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
I really like the look of it. Has it been in a game yet?

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#8]
no not yet this was my attempt at coding....with the old version..but since then a better man than me as taken over the coding..thank god;)

> old rough demo <

the model has been totaly re-done..modeled/rigged and Textured,which has taken ages since im not realy into texturing..but hay i will try anything once

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#9]
much better tiler. the thing I would improve are the shape of the shoes. the instep looks really flat at the moment.

watch out for the knees,because you may find the deformation hard to control the way you have it

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#10]
Now that I see the old model, it looks so much better.

cermit(Posted 2005) [#11]
The old one had a really good-looking animation though :)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#12]
The new one will be better :D

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#13]
the thing I would improve are the shape of the shoes. the instep looks really flat at the moment.

well spotted Ruz..easy to fix as for the deformation on the knees,its virtually the same rigg set up as the old version and i got some half descent anims out of that rigg

i look at the old version now and think..wtf is that,but i learnt a hell of lot with that model

i did like the run cycle on the old one..but as Ross said this is going to be better.... me hopes;)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#14]
just thought i post a wire and the gun image map..ppl like to see wires..the main texture map is still WIP

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#15]
I think you are wasting a lot of texture space at the moment.
Parts of the gun that are the same on either side should be shared .
No point using the same image twice in the layout, unless one side of the gun is slightly different.

You should cram that uv space so its 90 pecent full, then you will get much better res in game.
I never use autounwrap features. Best way is to apply a series of planar maps and arrange it yourself

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ruz im fairly new to UV maps and texturing in general

i think i understand what your saying:
move things around on the image map to save space
also things like the ammo magazine get rid of one side
then unweld and manually move the UV around so, say the ammo mag uses the same image for both sides

thanks for the input;)

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#17]
yeah thats about right tiler.
Also I try and keep the proportions in the uv layout the same as the object, or if you were doing a fps weapon, you would give more uv space to the bits that you see the most of/are closest to the camera.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#18]
just playing with IK
zip very short anim..but for a newbi in IK and a afternoon..im happy

the model is split in 2 parts upper and lower so i can have different anims for both. The upper is parented to a lower body bone...so it will move within the main object handle
lower body IK upper FK

> Kneel before Zod <two little anims 4.58mb zip

edit(or am i just over excited)

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#19]
Lookin' very good. Personally I don't like the shine.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#20]
Looks pretty good, With the shine you might be better off using 2 Brushes, and 2 textures, seperating shiny things from matte and putting them on seperate textures.

It uses up a little extra in the resource department, but on the other hand it is your main character, and he has to look interesting, especially when you are probably going to be seeing him from behind 90% of the time.

For the gun like Ruz said, judging by your texture you shoudl be able to find some areas that are symetrical, like the magazine and the side of the gun. If they are symetrical I'd consider deleting those faces, mapping the ones you have and then mirroring the symetrical polys for the missing side. Might need to change the bitmap slightly but not much and you would save a lot of space.

Depending on the game, you could then do several things. like add the shiny parts from the characters to the gun texture, or if you have another shiny accessory put that on the same texture as the gun. Thats assuming your goig to have some shiny stuff.

But anyway, its looking really nice :)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#21]
the shine..is like marmite you either love it or hate it....i love shiny things its a personality fault ;)

textures ummm i dont think me and texturing/UVs get along, i know theres a lot missing on my part in that area, but thanks for the tips

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#22]
Was talking to RossC earlier about your game, looks really nice. With the shinyness, it' one of those things that enables a lot of really cool effects that make blitz stand out above the competition, if you use it right. I think if you tried combining both a mat and shiny brush to give it a less uniform shinyness it would look MUCH cooler.

I think the model itself is great, has a really cool, stylized look that I like a lot, and animates really well, look forward to seeing more of your work :)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#23]
looks funky, the poly count seems maybe quite high for the detail of the character.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#24]
cheers Evak im learning..but im getting there ;)

skn3[ac] im faily happy with poly count, if i did it again from scratch ..yep i could loose some polys

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#25]
whadja do it in? what prog?

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#26]
its done in lightwave converted to blitz using TeraBits converter :)

Blitz Render

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#27]
Looking good Tiler! :)

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#28]
i think you have already seen all the body parts doing the RecordPivot (widgets be gone)..1st time you`ve seen it put together ;)

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#29]
re the shinines thing, the blitz shininess deosnt seem to look too nice. if your character is fairly low poly , it shows up all the faults in the mesh.
the highlight seems to be pure white and looks too harsh IMHO
It kind of bleaches out your colours too much.