GunVertor Lives!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/GunVertor Lives!

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#1]
The GunVertor is a firearm weapon comprised of interchangeable upgradeable components. The components can be assembled into virtually a countless assortment of weapon designs or used for specific set of static weapon designs. Each component effects the player, weapon, and ammo in a specific manner. Now introducing Gunvertor2:

Chamber
The Chamber is the Weapon Core Component. It is the mechanism loads ammunitions from the ammunition storage into the weapon, applies motivational force, directs ammunition through the barrel, and ejects ammunition byproducts. Chambers effect the amount, type and speed of loading ammunitions.

Barrel
Projects the ammunition. Barrels effect ammunition range and dispersion. Long Barrels produce long range/ narrow dispersion; Shorter Barrel produces short range/wide dispersion. Barrels also provide a ‘heat sinking’ for the weapon.

Loader
Can be attached to the barrel or magazine. Loads ammunition with Hand2.

Trigger
Control mechnism that activates Firing Unit/Mechanism. The Trigger determines how the user can fire the weapon. A weapon can posses multiple triggers.

Firing
Unit This component provides motivational force to a ammunition. High Quality Firing Units can project ammunition a great speeds long distances.

StockGrip
Absorbs Recoil. Recoil can effect weapon handling and accuracy. High Quality Stocks can absorbs greater amounts of recoil. Handgrip attaches to player.

Magazine
Magazine \ PowerCell \ Canister are storage components. These components effect Ammunition Refill/Recharge speed and Storage Quantity

AmmoMeter
A 3D Graphic Display for Ammo Count associated with the magazine.

Scope
The accessory component assist in visibility of the target (ie: Infrared, Thermovision)

Sight
This accessory component assist in targeting object.

Distorter
This accessory attaches to the barrel of the weapon to muffle sound of Solid Ammunitions or change the visual characteristics of Energy Ammunitions.

Bayonet
This accessory attaches to the barrel of the weapon and can be used as melee weapon.

Assembled Components

Caff(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wow (?)

Chad(Posted 2005) [#3]
What's this for Frank? Quite interesting though :)

GfK(Posted 2005) [#4]
The three pictures you've shown above clearly contain entirely different parts. Only a few remain the same throughout.

And since when did Fisherprice make sub machine guns?

smilertoo(Posted 2005) [#5]
You've completely missed out the gas plug and return spring.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#6]
Every kid will want one this Xmas!

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#7]
You've completely missed out the gas plug and return spring.
No actually they're located in the Firing Unit - hehe

What's this for Frank?
This is for my Tournament Blitz First Person Shooter appropiately titled 'GunVertor'. The concept was inspired from playing the Armored Core Series of Games in which you build Mechs and accessorize them with different weapons, limbs, and utilities. Instead of building a virtually endless variety cool mechs, you build a endless variety BFG's for First Person Combat.

The three pictures you've shown above clearly contain entirely different parts. Only a few remain the same throughout.
That was the point. Just a visual illustration of interconnecting and interchangeable components.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#8]
are you going to structure it with upgrades ie

chamber1=1 attachment
mountable Scope or sight

Scope1=0 attachment
Sight1=0 attachment

Scope2=1 attachment
Sight only

just an idea to give it a stable structure so everyone doesnt create the uber BFG and kill everyone on screen including themselves

:) Q3 the days of overkill Mmmmmmmm

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#9]
are you going to structure it with upgrades...to give it a stable structure so everyone doesnt create the uber BFG and kill everyone on screen including themselves
The component themselves will contain properties to enforce balance. Players will have to earn their upgrades in a progressive manner. You can unlock them, purchase them, and find secret components.

Some folks enjoy the precision and distance of a Sniper Rifle. Some enjoy the barrage of rapid fire from a Machine Gun. Some enjoy the intelligence of Heat-Seeking Mini-Missle Launcher. Others enjoy the utter destruction of Fusion Energy Cannon. No matter the weapon, creating the uber BFG tailored to your combat style is the ultimate goal.

So, I will just have to make sure that players never run out upgrades...hehe

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm intereseted in designing, animated, and texturing some cool firearm weapon models. Is there anyone here who has some experience with this and can offer advice?

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#11]
I don't understand why an artist would use this and waste his time when he can just model a fresh weapon in 3 hours that will look entirely better?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#12]
That was the point. Just a visual illustration of interconnecting and interchangeable components.
What chance would Rambo have, rummaging through a Tesco carrier bag full of various gun parts, trying to hastily manufacture something capable of firing a bullet whilst simultaneously getting shot to shit by a bloke with a pre-assembled AK47?

I'm not sure you've really thought this through....

Gnu(Posted 2005) [#13]
You will see this feature in many multiplayer military sims comming out in the near future. This is one of the most asked for features on many forums. People are tired of always getting the same setup on their favorite guns. They want to spec them out with appropriate parts for each mission. Like to door breach? mod your gun with a masterkey system(shot gun option) or maybe you like blowing stuff up then go for the grenade launcher. Think the 4X zoom scope is a little much for room clearing? Trade it in for trijicon or iron sites. You could go crazy and even allow them to choose the bullet type, magazine size(C-Mags) and add laser and or flashlights. You could build 5 of your favorite setups and allow them to choose depending on their map or position.
I think this is a great idea.

Regards
Gnu

Uhfgood(Posted 2005) [#14]
I don't think the idea is the person is assembling it while in combat, I think the idea is configuring it before hand and getting to use it in combat.

Interesting idea, if you can make it look decent.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#15]
Wasnt this originally conceived within Project Plasma?
I remember reading the idea then and thought it was kinda intersting.

Looking good so far! The best thing is that the principal can be transposed so easily.

With Galactic ALlegiance, we are currently looking at a kind of 'Modular sapcecraft' design, where sapceships are comprised of 'bits' in a similar fashion, player customisation goes a long way in terms of appeal and longevity I believe!

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#16]
Looking good so far!

What, that diagram? Or those colored block concept images? Is this even in the right forum? This isn't showcasing graphics, it's an idea.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#17]
hey... you guys better not mess with Frank...

he sees things... concepts, ideas, in the same way that geniuses see things...

no kidding... i noticed this in a few of his past posts... he has a unique insight...

if you don't completely understand what is being presented, give it a while...

--Mike

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#18]
I don't think the idea is the person is assembling it while in combat, I think the idea is configuring it before hand and getting to use it in combat...Interesting idea, if you can make it look decent.
Preassembled weapons would be correct. Making weapons look decent will be the goal, but, expected to be most difficult part. Hiqh Quality Textures and Animation are desired, not the traditional static meshes.

Unreal Tournament's weapons are very lavish compared to Quakes and many other FPS games. IMO its due to the high quality texturing and animation. When you consider that the weapon(s) could take up 25% of the screen in a FPS, they should be eye-candy.

With Galactic ALlegiance, we are currently looking at a kind of 'Modular sapcecraft' design, where sapceships are comprised of 'bits' in a similar fashion, player customisation goes a long way in terms of appeal and longevity I believe!
The GunVertor concept was inspired by the Armored Core Series for PlayStation developed by FromSoftware. I really enjoyed customizing the Mechs in the attempt to create the Uber-Mech. I love First Person Shooters and thought to myself "what if you could customize your weapon(s)?"

This isn't showcasing graphics, it's an idea.
Actually, its my attempt to show off my design skills and illustrate the idea/concept simultaneously.

he sees things... concepts, ideas, in the same way that geniuses see things...
Wow. Thanks Red October! In my minds eye I see no limits. We are Programmers - the Deities of the Cyber Realm.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#19]
Frank, this is a good concept. It allows you to create weapons that behave differently without the need to buy a whole new weapon. This is very economic and would be fun to toy with in a game.

The only problem is that the interchangable parts concept means large heavy weapons, so pre-built guns (like M16 or Mk 23 SOCOM) should also be available for a less versatile but more tactical firearm, like for special ops that are in for a quick sweep of a small area where they won't really have the time or the need to reconfigure their weapon on the field.

A game design concept I propose is that the player has money to spend on parts for his weapon(s). In the beginning, though, he starts with no money and only entry-level modules required to piece together a complete weapon. If you're thinking an arena game like Unreal Tournament, then every arena game you finish earns you more money for parts. Or if you're thinking an adventure FPS game like Half-Life or Call of Duty then I guess you find modules on the go.

The player is allowed to have as many weapons as he or she wants but a maximum of 2 complete guns can be chosen to take into a deathmatch fight (whether this be single player or multiplayer) and cannot be reconfigured during the game. I love this concept and I hope it goes from concept to actual game.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#20]
Frank, this is a good concept. It allows you to create weapons that behave differently without the need to buy a whole new weapon. This is very economic and would be fun to toy with in a game.
Yes. Imagine a weapon that evolved differently dependent on the components that assembled it. It would be like Digimon or DigiGun should I say - hehe.

The only problem is that the interchangable parts concept means large heavy weapons
Maybe...Maybe not. If every aspect of the weapon can be upgraded it will not matter.

For example, in a Sci-Fi setting, lets say you upgrade to the "Utopia" Chamber that features a Triple Chamber design with 3 barrel/Magazine/FireUnit slots. With the "Utopia" your "Devatron" weapon can be assembled into a Machine Gun/Bazooka Launcher/ Sniper Beam Weapon.

Of course, the "Utopia" is compact, and so are the "Grittle" Machine Gun Fire Unit, the "Z-Range" Sniper Barrel/Fire Unit/Magazine Assembly, the "Hercules Spitter" Magazine and "Gorge" Heavy Barrel that construct your "Devatron".

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#21]
I will point out that with most guns you can, with a bit of time, slap on a laser sight or a scope or other such things so this idea isn't far from reality - it's just made a lot more fun too :D

Sounds really awesome Frank. It will be really great if you can beat the commercial games to it!

By the way, you've probably just pounded the release date for Ferion forward by another year, because now you have increased my craving for more customizable ships and vehicles...

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#22]
deus ex 2 did something "similar" as in same ammo for all things, and it sucked, gunvertor... ? eh nay i say!

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#23]
same ammo for all things
I have yet to play deus ex 2. Although, I've mentioned very little to zelch on Ammo, can you please elaborate on the 'same ammo for all things". I don't want GunVertor to "suck".

thanx.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#24]
I don't like same ammo for all things either actually...
Maybe the different chambers and such should only have compatibility with certain kinds of bullets...

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#25]
The only problem is that the interchangable parts concept means large heavy weapons, so pre-built guns (like M16 or Mk 23 SOCOM) should also be available for a less versatile but more tactical firearm, like for special ops that are in for a quick sweep of a small area where they won't really have the time or the need to reconfigure their weapon on the field.

Yeah, or it could be in a fun game and not yet another in the long line of pseudo-sim military dreck strangling the shelves.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#26]
OMG, Just played Need for Speed Underground 2 for PS. The customizing options are ridiculous! Its about time for FPS game with Weapon customizing features!

N(Posted 2005) [#27]
What exactly does 'Vertor' mean?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#28]
What exactly does 'Vertor' mean?

I'd imagine it comes from conVertor.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#29]
I'd imagine it comes from conVertor.
Thats correct! Wow, I didn't expect someone to figure it out so easily.

N(Posted 2005) [#30]
Don't capitalize the V, makes it sound like Vertor is a whole 'nother word in the title. Just my 2 cents.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#31]
Anyone knows some good books on modelling and animating Sci-Fi FPS weapons?

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#32]
I suppose its not so much find a book on modelling sci fi wepaons, but applying general modelling techniques to whatever you are building. I suggest looking on polycount for good examples

N(Posted 2005) [#33]
Frank: Was your response before you edited it at all defensive? 0_o Weird fellow you are. Not to say I'm not.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#34]
Noel, I retracted that statement because it was irrelavant. Technically, the title isnt a official word, so its spelling doesnt matter. Sorry to have confused you.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#35]
Wow. I'm suprised...
I thought the GunVertor name was extremely
obvious about coming from convertor. Heh.

But anyway, can't wait to play this! Seems cool
about converting a gun in the game. Very original
idea! :D

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#36]
But anyway, can't wait to play this!
Neither can I. Unfortunately, I don't have a good background story for GunVertor FPS. In fact, I dont have a story at all.

I was thinking along the lines of a Sci-Fi Zombie Shooter in which normally good human-like servant Robots are infected with the ZombiX Virus. The virus destroys their AI Brains and Alloy exoskeletons transforming them into relentless 'Flesh Eating' decayed machines. The protagonist must find the source of the ZombiX Virus to annilihate it and restore order. Along the way, they must dismember and decapitate hordes of 'ZomBotz'.

I need a good story to fuel the game design:(

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#37]
It takes place in the middle of a major war (maybe somewhere in the United States, indicating it's more like an international backlash towards America) and you're a civilian on the run after his house was the setting of a fightfire. He managed to escape with one of the soldiers convertable rifles with only standard-issue parts.

Basically, the idea is that you're a civilian, and because it's hard to tell the difference between civilians and terrorists, you try to escape the country with both U.S. troops and troops belonging to European nations taking part in the U.S. invasion. Needless to say, on the way you'll run into a lot of soldiers so you'll find yourself picking up a lot of convertables with different parts you can use.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#38]
I could build a massive story on your X Virus theme..
:) No problemas..

/Alienforce

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#39]
Uber Lieutenant

Thats sounds like a really interesting plot, although I would like avoid using real world politics. Can we push the war into the future or on another planet so we can use cool futuristic weapons? I love cool futuristic weapons - hehe.

Alienforce

I would be very interested in a massive story. I like blasting hordes of Zombies. The plot meets the blast-hordes-of-zombies need, but, doesnt really explain the the origin and purpose of GunVertor weapon.

Can you find a way to bring the ideas together?

PS: Looking for Blitz3D Mesh Morph Algo or lib.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#40]
Sure thing, I will put together a massive story based on these ideas..

/Alienforce

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#41]
The Best FPS Guns of All Time. Can GunVertor make the list too?

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#42]
It could, except I don't think it's realistic to think any of us can produce a game and get it marketed as high as Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, or Half-Life 2.

As for story, here's another concept (it may be better to propose concepts rather than full-blown stuff up front). An organization (corperation or cult group, I dunno) is in the prototype phase of developing a way to re-animate dead organisms. In testing this method in a controlled environment, they had no success in directing the re-animated bodies, so the project is put away until they can rework their method into something that can be put to practical use.

An accident occurs and the 'method' (a virus maybe, but it would throw the whole story into a rip-off of Resident Evil) is released into an uncontroled environment and has become difficult to control or quarentine, so there's tons of 'undead' creatures everywhere (in a research center?) and a few scientists who were in an air-tight room during the outbreak have not been affected (yet). Mix that around, maybe it'll work.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#43]
except I don't think it's realistic to think any of us can produce a game and get it marketed as high as Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, or Half-Life 2.

... self fullfilling prophecy, maybe

doomed not to succeed because he thinks he will never succedd...

hey, how many of you think this way... (sorry for the temporary hijack Frank, we'll get back on topic asap)

--Mike

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#44]
I don't think that way.
I intend to start off my unique single player game with an immersive open-ended multiplayer experience with attractive graphics and a big feel, and that is exactly what I will try as hard as I can to do.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#45]
Frank:
FYI

I´m of to do a little work/holliday trip to US now so
i will write the basicscript and storyboard as promised
but i dont think iam going to be able to post anything until i get back to the office.

/Alienforce

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#46]
Alienforce,

No problem. Take your time. The PW3D team and I are, working out details of the PW3D Game Editor GUI.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#47]
And I'm the PW3D team :D

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#48]
;)

/Alienforce

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#49]
Alienforce,

Any luck with the massive story on the X Virus theme for GunVertor? After playing Halo, my ideas are gravitating towards a full-scale War which takes place in a Alien Universe in which 3 'Alien Races' compete for galactic dominance.

The Alien Races are stealing and experimenting with one anothers technology to create the ultimate weapons to lead their Race to victory and dominate the galaxy. This gives a general background story of how the different components exist, supports mission elements, and highlights the feature of weapon assembling.

The game will have the typical military mission elements like: infiltrate, rescue, spy, capture, etc in which you seek out other Alien technology, protect your own, etc. Work your way through the missions. Enhance your weapon and take on Level Bosses with BFAGs. Earn component upgrades by completing missions and kickn Boss Ass.

New Alien Races will invade as the story progresses. Introducing new and more powerful components for the taking. Perahaps one of the Alien Races will be Zombots who weapon components are decayed and rusty but pack a punch.

Uber Lieutenant

Has work on BrodyGUI ceased. After a six month pause, I've started work on the MAUI System. You can check out the PersistentWorld3D Thread for details if your interested.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#50]
Frank,

I started on the story.. Then it seemed like the thread died and i moved on to other projects. BUT!! I would be glad to getstarted with story line again.
I will supply the "brainstorm" plot doc asap.

/Alienforce

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#51]
Alienforce,

Well, I'm really in favor of the Galactic War /tech stealing Story. Its fitting the concept of what I visioned GunVertor to be. Can you expand upon that story? I'm sure each Alien Empire will have a political heirarchy that drives the war, which in turn drive the missions. A Politcal Back Story could sow together each level/mission into one cohesive story.