Morrowind Sequal... Oblivion

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Morrowind Sequal... Oblivion

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, i cant take credit for making these screenshots but they were just sooooo well done i had to post them here. These are apparently taken straight from the realtime engine (not staticly rendered).

I would love to know what computers they are running.

:)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Given the fact that this forum is intended for use to "show off YOUR art skills", this should probably be in off-topic.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would love to know what computers they are running.

Xbox 2 and high-end PCs.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, a link would be enough. The Trees are pretty impressive, or let's say they would be implressive if this was Blitz3D.

Some screenies that are real exiting IMHO are from the upcoming Unreal Engine 3:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#5]
What's sad is the resolution you get on a
television screen. It seems almost pointless
to use the high resolution textures if it's
going on a console.

N(Posted 2004) [#6]
Wouldn't HDTV sortof fix that?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
Or rather, completely fix that.

soja(Posted 2004) [#8]
Since Xenon (Xbox 2) will be HDTV-only, it's not that big of an issue. Sure, there will still be some people with Xenons and an old TV, but I imagine most people who will spring for the XBox v.2 will also have HDTVs, especially after it comes out, since all TV manufactured MUST be HDTV TVs soon thereafter...

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#9]
Seen these a while back, They do look good.
It will probably be 480 or 600p on Xbox2 at that res the Ati r500 will have fillrate to burn.
Pc users will get a R525 not long after and will probbaly be needed,,or the Nvidia Eq

Does anyone know if this is still NDL? (gamebyro) engine , modified?
I can see they are using speed tree like most other companys now.

Course Bethesda probbaly doesnt care about the Frame rate that much, above 20 or so they seem to think is just fine..heh

They also picked up and are making Fallout 3, probably in first person perspective..Lets hope it retains what made fallout Good.

Zmatrix

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
I think high res textures are good an low res screens too, the most significat reason for Hires Textures is when something is close up to the camera IMHO, especially when the user is sitting a few meters away from the TV screen (unlike PC Users). And what usually ruins Hires Textures of more distant objects anyway is mipmapping. But of course, once again i could be completely wrong here :)

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sorry guys.
Probably should have put it in the "Off Topic" forum. :)
At least it gives us something to aspire to... or me anyway.

Gabor(Posted 2004) [#12]
Amazing screenshots!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
Hm thay re ok, but not exactlty anything hugely impressive
The shadows in general look a bit dirty

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hey I played the first game... almost finished i too. Would love to play this 1.. i hope they add multiplayer... (non subscription of course).

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#15]
Surprisingly, I believe the Xenon uses a mac processor.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#16]
No, it uses an IBM processor.

Tracer

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#17]
@ICECAP
Amazing art. just amazing.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#18]
@Coffeedotbean

I have heard that there is not going to be any multiplayer functionality in it. :(
They would sell so many copies.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#19]
'Hm thay re ok, but not exactlty anything hugely impressive
The shadows in general look a bit dirty '

I love it when someone posts screenshots that are effectively cutting edge (for realtime gameplay), and someone says something like the above LOL.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#20]
If "dirty shadows" are all the game has as a downside for the graphics then it's going to be a winner on that front. The gameplay is the next one.

I have heard that there is not going to be any multiplayer functionality in it. :(

Maybe someone will write a multiplayer mod for it?

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#21]
Quite possibly, but i have tried searching for a mod for the previous version Morrowind and for the version before that Daggerfall (now thats going back a way).

Apparently there are too many factors to think about like how will time be handled, when one person rests does the whole server?

Apparently Bethesda (or how ever you spell the creators) have left no loop holes in their previous versions and dont plan to leave any in their next.

Apparently they want to be the worlds best at creating single player RPGs. Well, i can definatly say that they have done that.

Note the overuse of apparently in the above text.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#22]
While the detail is amazing, I am still much more tempted to choose World of Warcraft with it's lowpoly, cartoonish look, over this one. A game can look nice, but if it lacks a certain atmosphere than no amount of detail will make up for that. Specially in an RPG.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#23]
I love it when someone posts screenshots that are effectively cutting edge (for realtime gameplay), and someone says something like the above LOL.

well sorry but I don't find them that impressive.

There is better stuff in UT2003 and 04 . seems its easy to please people just by posting shots of 'shiny' things like armour. The last one is the best in 'my opinion', but the rest are so so.

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#24]
I only really like the 2nd one.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#25]
Um shadows are dirty?... what shadows?

There seems to be an amazing lack of shadows, despite the beautiful light effects and excellent surfaces of all the objects.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#26]
Everything in those shots is amazing. Look at the grass. Look at the texture transitions (see any seams?). Look at that last shot of the forest - that is, hands down, the best looking forest I've ever seen in a live action game.

How anyone can put those shots down is beyond me.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#27]
My question: will this game still have an incredibly boring combat system? Frankly, Bethesda's gameplay peaked in Daggerfall.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#28]
@podperson
You mean swing at random people and they dissapear in a very small splash of blood. lol.

I'm not actually sure what they are doing with their combat system, but they must be altering it slightly in order to accomodate the console system.

As for the lack of shadows, they are no way near finished the game, they reckon its going to be released around 2007 so they just havnt got round to programming them in yet... *fingers crossed*

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#29]
There is a lack of shadows, well not really a lack of shadows but I guess this isnt really shadowland, there are none!

It seems like the perfect world, so bright, so peaceful, but... once I enter it, BOOM! Everyones dead. :P

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#30]
then probably I'm a bad artist, Ruz, as I like it a lot...

dunno, maybe is that my medieval stuff passion is to big, but the fact is I happen to like those shots more than ingame Ut2k4 ones...

I guess I'll have to se the game to check in what is so wrong..

Tyler(Posted 2004) [#31]
LOL, better things in UT? Unreal 3 maybe. Seriously, though, shiny things impress the hell out of me since that's all that's in those shots. Nothing but shiny boxes, that rotate...

Morrowind: Elder Scroll was one of the best games I've ever played in my entirety. The depth of the story, the amount of things to do, hidden fun things in the game, and illegal spices are just the top of it's "just-to-muchery"

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#32]
Great screenshots.

I wonder if my Amiga 1200 with AGA can handle that.

LT(Posted 2004) [#33]
Warren: It's quite simple. Most people have absolutely no clue what it takes to make stuff at this level and compare it to reality. It's too bad really.

Now, where did I put them rose-colored spectacles?

Tyler(Posted 2004) [#34]
@Jeroen - You'll need at least a 386 processor ... :D ... 8 MB ram? :P Anyone else remember when someone (big in the business) said you'd never need more than 640K of memory?