Artist Help (a bit off topic)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Artist Help (a bit off topic)

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is a bit off topic, sorry for that but its art related at least!

I am good at drawing with my hand but I cannot do so well on computer and im wondering is drawing on a piece of paper and then scanning it then what would I do to help make it pixel perfect and good for games?

sorry if this is confusing i gotta go right now badly

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you use photoshop, open the image and then create a new layer, then use the pencil tool to trace the outlines (for pixel perfection without anti-aliasing).

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#3]
MrSak I would highly recommend you learn to use PhotoShop. The latest version is PhotoShop CS but, I use 7.0 and it's just as good. By use of multiple layers and filtering you can make your scannings pixel perfect.

Below is an image I drew pencil and paper and scanned into computer, then adjusted. The easiest way to convert a scan to a good image is by simply adjusting the brightness and contrast. This will bring out your lines and remove the paper look.

To use the trace method that Pertb. recommended I would use a line tool to trace over and make as many lines as you need to get the same depth, this will be easier than tracing over with the simple paintbrush tool which is a bit harder using a mouse and often makes for unsteady lines.

At least, use an optical mouse.

And, if you're super get a Wacom tablet or something similar.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
Another PS tip: Learn to use the paths tool correctly, you can use it to trace outlines and turn them into perfect curves. It is a little tricky to get the hang of at first.

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have photoshop :) lucky me
and i happen to have a hand written document i scanned a while ago to practice on :)

thanks

MSW(Posted 2004) [#6]
You might also try a graphics tablet, they can really help...especialy in coloring.

this drawing was for a friends Transformers P-n-P RPG he was playing, I did it entirely with my Watcom in PSP...only took about 20 minutes..

erm...I mean the robotic female on the left :P

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
looks nice, perhaps its worth doing a more finished version