Racing Game WIP

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Racing Game WIP

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here are some WIP models of my racing game. things are further along than this, but I'm not ready to show more yet.

and an early screengrab from within Blitz

Looking for thoughts on the style of the models, and suggestions for further models. Also, if anyone is currently programming a race game or would be interested in working together on this or other projects please contact me. (email address in profile)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#2]
nice models - I'd love to see them when they're skinned!

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks good to me. You aiming for a fun knockabout racer?

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#4]
The game is an RC racer, so you drive as if controlling an RC car instead of behind/in the car. I'm going for -semi- realistic physics, with a bit of sliding thrown in to up the fun factor. Also the main thing I am building in is the ability to make your own tracks and cars easily.

Unfortunately, progress has been really slow lately due to a couple of kids, but at least it's some progress. That's also why I'm looking for help,... I'm a better artist than programmer, so things take me longer than they should. I had shelved this project for about a year, and now I've decided to go full ahead.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#5]
Best Buy SUCKS!!

I can't believe the suckers who pay the guys upwards of 50 bucks to install memory, graphix cards, or other inane crap like re-installing windows.

I mean just because people are stupid is no reason to completely rip them off.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
Radio Shack is worse.

I called there, and asked if they had MIDI cables., and they said they did. I got there, they said they didn't, so they told me to go across the street. Across the street was a Subway. And I never got my MIDI cable. :(

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well,... erm,... the Best Buy logo is there because that is what my Race car sponsor was last year. My wife works at the Corporate headquarters so I get really nice discounts there too. :D

As for what a company charges for services,... if customers are willing to pay for something instead of doing it themselves, then more power to them.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#8]
Pongo,

Looking cool dude and lots of fun.

I like the Best Buy logo - it is bright and 'racey'. It makes it look like a Hot Wheels style raceing game.

I would take the cars into Gile[s] and lightmap them with a top light to give a feel of depth to the models. I thnk the models would look much better - the wheel arches would be darkened underneath.

IPete2.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#9]
I agree with pongo. Besides an electrician here makes $60 - $80 an hour and doesnt do part hours. So 15 minutes to change a couple of light switches on the wall will cost you $80 even though it just requires a screwdriver and access to the fuse box lol.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
The screengrab makes the car look a bit....warped.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#11]
It's not the screengrab,.... the cars are designed to be cartoonish rather than realistic so they are shorter and wider than a normal car, and certain features are exaggerated.