Weekly modeling competition: A Cartoony building

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Weekly modeling competition: A Cartoony building

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#1]
I wasn't expecting to be picked and then have to choose the next competition. But still don't want the weeklies to die so here goes.

Anyway, thought it might be fun to see some stylized Low poly cartoony buildings. Here's one I made earlier.

It's made up of 793 triangles and not an official submission to the competition.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
looks good Evak

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
What's the poly limit?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#4]
Oh, sounds cool.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#5]
there isn't one, but it's always nice to see cool looking stuff that still looks cool.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
cute little house - can't wait to see the rest.....

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
very nice one, Evak :)

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#8]
Does the week start from the date of evaks post?
Wonder if Noel wants to enter this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39149

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#9]
Because I don't have time, and am partially lazy I'll submit this rpg-ish observatory I made a week and a half ago or so.

I hope it's cartoony enuff.

@ Noel: Back Demon!!!!

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
Can I submit previous work?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#11]
yeah, Don't see why not and the observatory is certainly cartoony enough :)

N(Posted 2004) [#12]
>:)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#13]
Im going to enter this one :)

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#14]
Looks like I'll have no time for textures so I'll just post this progress so far.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#15]
www.redgreenbob.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/house1.jpg

You need to use forward slashes in the URL, not back slashes

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#16]
Fixed,... although it works either way here,... (must be IE)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#17]
Freakin' awesome Pongo. Your house that is.
That's a compliment.
I wasn't referring to Perturbatio's grasp of the obvious.
Drinks on me!!
;)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#18]
1200 polys

Guess who the house belongs too ;)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
Simpsons.
and...make it out to CASH.
;)

You can't use MS Paint for a 3D Modelling Compo!!!
Just kiddin...

nice texture work.
Can we see a flat shaded version?
and can you make the windows transparent and add some Simpsons scenery inside them?
and some lighting and shadows?

I just ask because, it looks so cool and would be that much cooler.

Maybe you should submit it to Fox and see if you can get a job.

N(Posted 2004) [#20]
My entry:

Too lazy to do texturing/coloring/whatever. And I wasn't really planning on entering any of these weekly competitions beyond the first one anyway.

I like Pongo's most.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#21]

N(Posted 2004) [#22]
ICE9: Any chance you could possibly cut down on the number of pics? It's killing my connection. Looks good, by the way.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#23]
Noel - It's called the Nuke Anything firefox plugin. Just right-click a website object(nearly anything) and hit "Remove this object".

Nice simpsons house

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#24]
or just right click and block any images from that provider.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#25]
Ok Done

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#26]
I think perhaps one pic (maybe two) is enough to show off the house

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#27]
wow, this is pretty tough heh. Noels model is really nice and organic feel to it, not too many perfectly straight edges (straight edges aren't natural and in most situations to be avoided).

Ice 9's looks great in its environment and the house and scenery have a very distinctive coherent look about them. Was tempted to choose these as they are great and look like a nice game in the works.

Pongo made a great start and his cottage I like the squat curvy walls. Look forward to seeing it with textures. (Might want to add a few polys to the roof so it's not quite so angular, as the bulding looks like it's suppoed to be pretty old).

Skn3's fits the criteria well, and I like the 2D in 3D look. As he said, its very simpsons.

Coded was asking for suggestions on another thread and I meant to post but forgot. I thought it could do with a slight orange backlight ( reflection from the sky) to put the observatory more solidly in its environment. And some kind of lense texture at the end of the telescope would really bring it to life.

It's a pretty tought choice for me, I don't enter these things as I don't like judging other peoples work lol.

I think I'll pick Pongo's as his submission looks like it was started within the time, and it reminds me a bit of home.

During the week I was thinking about this, I won last weeks by submitting examples of the theme that were created prior to the competiting. Which I didn't feel was entirely fair.

Anyway, perhaps in future we should have a regular competition, and a seperate thread where people can show off existing creations on the same theme, or discuss the thread in more detail (examples/techniques etc).

It was tough ... But pogo's the winner this week and gets to choose the next competition :)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#28]
Pongo's is cool, I would probably choose that to best fit the compo topic. Just so you know, my entry was started within the compo time.

Bring on next weeks compo, I might enter again, depends if I have spare time.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#29]
yeah Skn3[ac}, wasn't certain but you would have come in front of the others. It's one thing doing something in your own time without any time restrictions, and another fitting something in within a deadline.

Thats why I suggested having 2 seperate threads on the competition topic. It's really hard to find the time to enter the competitions if your working on other things, those that make the effort should be rewarded.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#30]
Yay! *pongo does a small victory dance

Aww crap! now I gotta think of next weeks comp!

It'll be up in a sec.