My first (real!) go at modelling!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My first (real!) go at modelling!

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#1]
Yes this is posted both here and at bc.com.
This is because the two communites are largely seperate, with a small few using and posting on both.

Anyway... :)

I`m just started to "get into" modelling properly (ie. actually trying ).
The tutorial I followed used NURMS to smnooth the model, so although its not gonna be usable for games, its a start.

www.ram-interactive.co.uk/Start.jpg
www.ram-interactive.co.uk/Eyes.jpg
www.ram-interactive.co.uk/Fins.jpg
www.ram-interactive.co.uk/NearlyFinal.jpg

Just a few more things to tidy up, then on to texturing :)
Lemme know what you think?

Cheers!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
It's a rubbish helicopter... It looks nothing like a one.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
nice fish, but too highpoly. how many tris? YOu should try to get a smooth look with smoothing groups, not with a high number of polygons. Probably your tool has a poly reducer built in.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah sorry, I`m using Max 6 - shoulda said.

Rob: It`s a fish shaped helicopter that doubles as a submarine for underwater secret ops - maybe! ;)

jfk: got any links to good info/tutorials on smoothing groups and how to use them for games?

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#5]
nice

Blitzed090604(Posted 2004) [#6]
http://www.snipamasta.co.uk/ms3dsmoothtut.htm

.rIKmAN. Not like it explains the details but I googled smoothing groups and got this page. Kinda gave me a visual to understand what smoothing groups are since I didn't know either.

Jfk - if you simply weld "groups" of vertices in the modeller they appear smooth, right? Unwelded verts would retain their "edge"? Or is there more to it?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#7]
Cheers Blitzed - will take a look after me tea :)

I might start entering this weekly modelling compo actually, or does anyone have any tips with me fish?

aab(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'd like u to name it. Other than that: Fine