elfin character

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/elfin character

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just finished painting the texture for this guy. 1466 polygons, one 512x512 image for texture

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
Not bad,jhocking. He is definitely elf like

The main thing that sticks out though is the thickness of the legs in comparison to the arms. He has big bulky arms and quite spindly legs
I feel you could squeeze a ittle more detail in to the texture map also since it's a 512.
Right now there is not much in the way of 'features' in the skin apart from the belt.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback. The blandness of the texture is mostly on purspose, but I'll have to take a look at adjusting the arms.

Anyone else?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#4]
The back of the jaw looks like it could be raised a little making it look a little less box like. Elves don't have sqaure jaws. Take it from someone named Riverratt.

By the way it looks good.
P.S could use yer opinion in the beginer section?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
What beginner section? I'd be happy to give feedback if I knew where to look. Incidentally, while I suppose this is kind of a cop out, by "elfin" I mean he's only half-elf, not fully an elf.

Don't be shy guys. If you're doing one of those "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" then stop holding back, I won't mind.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, I was just going to make the same comments as Ruz about the proportions of the arms and legs, but he beat me to it. :)

Apart from that, I think the lack of detail/expression in the face texture makes him look a bit lifeless. Otherewise, very good indead.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
"Don't be shy guys. If you're doing one of those "if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" then stop holding back, I won't mind."

Hmm...well...but I keep having in my mind that one someone criticize my errors, sounds as if all had gone bad...and I don't like to give same medicine to others...

But let's go...

arms too fat...
maybe is due to fov, that perspective camera is making look the upper side much bigger than it is, but I have a feel that arms are not only fatter than they should be, but also longer.

head is proportioned, but I'd smooth the tone difference i n that bone cheek. Do that better with geometry.

jaw. To wide, it's correct, but makes hima bit like a footballplayer...and its an elf...I mean, is not incorrect, but for an elf, other thing would be better.

Yep, legs too thin...

Do some stilyzing on the hips, torso...make him more triangular, while not a body builder, but ans slim, elegant figure....The standard concept of elf is more similar to one of those starved-like male models that u see in fassion cloth models...

That is, thinner in the area of the belt...in general, a less heavy guy.

The texture has careful touches, and they seem to be good. just what you said, is on purpose. Maybe the targeted engine does later on do an ugly contrast, or gama darkening, so I'll comment nothing there.

feet small.

I like the way the wrinkles have started.

Add some extra detail in clothes, in the green shirt, some details, specially if it's not reusing same texture space for simetrical parts.

Maybe I sound too harsh, but when I'm doing a model, I go fixing my own errors this way..is what I say my self as I go modelling/texturing, but also, I know I don not like a single bit that other person says that to me , and only admit if being paid, that's why I shouldn't open my mouth...

But anyway, i posted what i see, because in case you actually posted to spot those details , and be able to change them to get a better model :)

In general, it can end up looking very good, with some changes.

And I love all what is fantasy/tolkien/nordic mythology related... ;)