weekly modeling comp: Train

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/weekly modeling comp: Train

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
It seems that last weeks winner has some net issues and cant get online.

So in the intrest of keeping this going I have posted what was suggested to be his idea for this week.

A Train or Train related model, texture of 512*512 in size and a polly count of 1000 for use in a game.

This winner will be chosen next monday, and he will then set the following weeks challenge..

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think 1000 is a typo right? Surely 3000 poly as previously - for game useable.

Or we could have a Thomas the Tank Engine modelling compo ! hehe

poopla(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah go with 3000. If you want any detail on a train, it's gonna be more then 1000 I do think.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#4]
ya know,... these comps should have parameters set by the contest starter, not by what everyone else wants.

If someone wants to go outside the bounds, that's their option, but the challenge of meeting the specs should be a part of these as well. It's far easier to work with more polys, since you don't need to budget as much, and low poly models force you to cut corners and make sacrifices,... it is very interesting to see how different people handle that.

my $.02

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#5]
PUBLISH SOME RULES and stick to em.

Then the goal posts dont move like a jelly on an escalator.

Ion.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#6]
no,... they should change week to week,... the CHALLENGE POSTER decides.

One week could be,... " model a house for a GTA style game,... maximum 100 polys"

the next could be " model a car for the same game,... maximum 2000 polys"

and the following could be " model a cutscene environment that will be pre-rendered,... no limit on poly's or textures."

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#7]
the rules are in my post, or is that not clear.

IIRC all other challenges have had a budget of approx 1000 pollygons, I think it was only that last one that went over it.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#8]
[edit] good, the post was moderated :)

Specis(Posted 2004) [#9]
actually there's still a lot of diesel engines on british rails to this day :)

but you dont use diesel on a steam engine so yer points still valid :D

GfK(Posted 2004) [#10]
actually there's still a lot of diesel engines on british rails to this day :)
Yes but they aren't what you'd call "modern", are they? :P

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#11]

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#12]
if the winners were based solely on pity for lack of modelling skills...
I WOULD RULE!!

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#13]
if the winners were based solely on pity for lack of modelling skills...
I WOULD RULE!!

Lol, I think maybe I would win.

Anyway heres my effort at a train. Feel free to laugh at the noobness of it. :D

I'm gonna do the texture for it tomorrow. It was modelled in truespace 6.6 and sits at 2068 polygons.

[edit] I also agree with Yavin. We dont need a dictator in this thread.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#14]

Oh, and "modern trains" are powered by electricity, not diesel. Now excuse me, I'm off to make a pylon.

erm...no, not exactly...technicaly it's both...a diesel engine powers a generator, which in turn provides electricity for the wheels to turn...additionaly the diesel engine is used to drive both nuematic and hydrolic pumps...you don't have those, and you don't have the brakes to stop the train.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#15]
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/415f77ddz457343c4/20a6/__sr_/7195.jpg?phbl0dBB8uJGMkvI

My meagre entry...

2 hours work..

around 2k polys.

Ion.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#16]
So... the polycount etc stated in the first post are the "official" ones?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#17]
Notice he did say 1000 poly not tris.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#18]
A tri IS a poly RiverRat.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#19]
Not in Max it isn't - a poly is a quad (or larger) and only a tri is truly a tri. Max's inbuilt face counter can therefore be very misleading (note that this only happens in Edit Poly mode, not in edit mesh mode).

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#20]
Now I'm confused again. In wings it does not show triangles.
It shows Polygons. Acording to the wings manual glosery, a tris is short for triangle. So this model in wings is 1628 polygons total. But in milkshape it shows as 2524 Triangles. This trains disqualified either way, but I thought "polygon" is a face made up of 2 triangles.

http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/index2.html

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#21]
A polygon is a 2D figure made up of 3 or more sides. So a triangle, square, octagon, hexagon, etc... are all polygons. In DirectX7 and in Blitz, the only polygon acceptable is triangles, so anything more complex than that must be made of more than one triangle. I'd assume that since these models are suppose to be used in a Blitz game that polygon is being used synonymous with triangle.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#22]
Well I am not sure which rules were going by but here's a couple of trains I made originally for MS Train Sim. So they are game compatible models :)

British Rail Class04 Shunter 3198 triangles ;)

Great Western Class F 0-6-0 saddletank. 4096 triangles (yes I know it's over the comp. limits but I had the pic available)

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#23]
yeah lets make trains.. Joncom's look good. Thomas the tank engine!!

LOL

Ion.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#24]
I love the top one, joncom's that is. nice work m8.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#25]
I thought it would be hard to exceed the polygon limit with milkshape. Anyway here is my entry.

The texture size is 512*256 and mesh is 3014 tris.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#26]
"these comps should have parameters set by the contest starter"
Yeah, that was the problem - his internet is down... ! :) He'd have wanted a game model and therefore chosen to go with 3000, I guess this week we'll just have to have 2 categories ?

I like Cermit's best so far. Excellent concept.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#27]
Hehe hippy train! Very cute.

SoggyP(Posted 2004) [#28]
Greetings Puppies,

I like Cermits train, you can see it being used in a spooky ghost train ride.

Peace,

Jes

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
joncom2000 - looks nice , but no way do you need that many polys for a model that simple. I bet you could get that down to about 500 no probs

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#30]
"joncom2000 - looks nice , but no way do you need that many polys for a model that simple. I bet you could get that down to about 500 no probs"

Well the handrails could have been on the texture, the lights don't actually need round glass lens and in that shot you can't see the cab interior, rear lights and hand rails which could be done on a texture if you wanted a boxey looking model. But it was made originally as I said for MS Train sim and most comments from that community were about not making the engine covers 3d and using to few poly's ;)

Oh and I had only modelled a few basic startrek models before, so I was pleased :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#31]
go hippie train

podperson(Posted 2004) [#32]
Oh well. It's about time I stopped kibbitzing and modelled something...

I envisaged this being used for a kids' game, so it's a cheerfully colored model. For some reason I thought I had a budget of 500 polys, so this one comes in slightly over 500 (it could easily be optimized down to under 500, but once I reread the rules I decided not to bother).

542 polys. The textures (I haven't merged them) easily fit inside a 512x512 area.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#33]
Yay! Another hippie train!

skn3(Posted 2004) [#34]
My fav is Joncom's British Rail Class04 Shunter. The solid colors are nice, and the model is well made.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#35]
Time to say whos won.

I think all of the train's look really cool, BUT not all of them have been able to fit with the challenge paramaters.

Had Cermits train been under the polly count limit He would have won, I love the style and look hes went with that model.

The Winner is "PodPerson" as he was able to keep within the limits of the challenege.

PodPerson its your turn to make the thread and give us a challenge, just bare in mind to keep with the challege paramaters that have been used from the start.