A couple of tunes...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/A couple of tunes...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
After seeing Caffs post and realising of got a load of untapped webspace I thought I'd upload a couple of tracks I did that have been kicking around on my computer for some time now...

A couple of remakes:
Megablast : Remake of the bomb the bass classic, totally destroying it by going mental with an overdrive pedal.

Sanxion Loader : I first heard this on the Big Demo on the Atari ST, loved it, worked out how to play it, and put cheesy woos on it! It hammers along though.

Not a remake:
Dreamy : Little tune I wrote ages ago, came up with a nice piano riff and built on that, very soundtrack like.

Regret : I wrote this ages ago and have never got round to doing a decent mix of it, apologies for the crap singing, it's just a rough cut!

These aren't freeware by the way!

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#2]
Downloading now. Thanks for sharing :) I`ll let you know what I think...

Jason.

(EDIT) Cool tunes! I liked the Dreamy one best but all were decent in their own ways. Megablast bought back some great memories....

Caff(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice to see some more music in the showcase, it's good too :)

Think I like the megablast remake most, followed by Dreamy.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
Pleased you guys liked them... Obviously limited appeal! :)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ack, no-one listens to music, they all like staring at eye candy :)

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nice tunes... makes a change to all the screenshots you see floating round here.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks... Although, clearly this isn't the place for music!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#8]
"Dreamy". This song really doesnt go anywhere, its so basic im not even sure it would pass as menu music. "Piano riff" ? It sounds like a piano practice tune or something. I suggest you make it 1 minute long and put it on repeat. Or even better make the sounds mix in at random so it sounds "nearly different" cos that way you will cut down file size and make it more loopable. This is a loop, right? The noise in the background also sounds plastic, was that a MIDI sound patched in some soundediting app or something?

"Regret" sounded better at the beginning. Putting vocals in a game rarely works. Especially this kind of awfuly cheesy love song, oh my god. Better put Justin Timberlake if you want to put this in Alien Breed. He can at least sing better than that singer. His voice is so wobbly he wouldnt even pass as american idol lol! This song is trying TOO hard to sound like a generic tune, its incredible. It sounds like i heard it so many times before, maybe on a pregenerated synth tune, you know one of those? Then just vocals on top. And at the end "Time to move on" oh far out, someone needs singing lessons. Hire a normal singer, ey? The production itself is ok, considering how you probably did it. But again that plastic sound is squeezed in, that 90s techno-dance spice... heheh...

"Sanxion". A remake, ok. Cheese and more cheese. This is the 80s now, right? They had different cheese in 80s i think. Yea. This tune is all over the place, no shape or form, too much even for a synth dance tune like that. What is the song trying to achieve? Nothing? Or just piss people off. And then it repeats of course. The scratching sound in the rear is very "Amiga" tho, and it nearly makes me remember my GameBoy days. Theres also a sound in it that makes me think of Mario popping out of a tube at one point. "Electric strings" are all over the middle of the song again using one or two basic shapes and trying to combine into something specific but the lack of musical knowledge is audible. The end of the song sounds like a news bulletin just ended.

Megablast is pretty good, well done that one.

Thats ok, i never ever heard any game music that was anywhere near great quality, maybe rarely some ambiental stuff works... But maybe this isnt for a game?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
Dreamy, I think the plastic sound is due to the low quality ogg, I've got some nice synths that do sound good when heard at a decent quality, if memory serves it's an oboe in the background. I totally accept that it doesn't really go anyway, there are loads of subtle layers that you can't hear at this quality though which is a shame cos there are some nice little filter sweeps and stuff. The clean sounds (piano, oboe, strings) were from my Korg sound module that has superb clarity and quality. The drums I think were from the Yammy DJX.

Regret, Never intended for a game, just a track I wrote, I sang it (badly) as I mentioned above and I'm not a singer (as mentioned above). This I actually did on a multitrack just playing all the bits live. As soon as I've got a singer it'll be redone, as I said, it was a demo.

Sanxion, It's a remake, I didn't write it, and yes it was supposed to be cheesey! I'm guessing you've not heard the original as I've not changed the structure much at all. Most of the strings and melody sounds were from my Akai vintage sound module, it's jam packed full of 80's synths sounds, this was done so it sounds more like the SID and have a retro feel, the whoos and yeahs are maybe a little over cheesey, but it was supposed to be fun.

Megablast, was also supposed to be cheesey! Well, cheesey in a grow a mullet and shoe-horn yourself into tight jeans kinda way. I found my overdrive pedal and had fun! All played live into Acid then arranged.

Anyway Lenn, I thought you were going to ignore me after you said "I can't imagine Rob now as anything other than a sad pathetic small creature in a dark room, angry at the whole world."

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#10]
If everyone ignored people like you, we would still be in stoneage. And yea i still imagine you like that, but i just cant help myself from not hating the world, unlike yourself. If i dont hate the world, i must do something to make it nicer and ignoring you would only deepen your pain, so then effectivelly the world would become an even worse place, and so on and on forever. What else should have i said to someone who insults me so badly just after me posting a very radical point of view when my only goal was to stirr up conversations? Far out man...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
Lenn, clearly you've one up on me again because I have no idea what you're talking about. Sounds very clever though.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#12]
I must say "lol"

Edit: Oh yea and my usual "Peace."