New Model: Observatory

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New Model: Observatory

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's a new model I just did up I'm offering for free. It's an observatory done in sort of an rpg-ish style.

Pretty simple. No accolades here. If anyone wants the .max file I'll be happy to send it, just specify if you want the whole scene or just the observatory itself. All the parts are seperate so if you want it as one piece then let me know as well and I'll attach it together before I send it. The lens on the scope is a reflection mapped material.

Edit: this is latest render 1st render forgot to save model.

Edit: original render, forgot to save model.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#2]
you know... that looks pretty interesting... as does the terrain upon which it is sitting...

a lil wierd (sorta like some techno eye thing)... but interesting none the less...

can we see more of the landscape...

--Mike

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's really just a pretty small 'quad patch'. That's most of the terrain piece right there in the pic. It's really easy to do.

All you do is create a quad patch. Then use a 'displace' modifier. Then assign a displace map to it. Like you do for terrain maps. Then set a displace value (how much to use the displace map) The material I used for the terrain was a Smoke type (3d max)

The observatory was made with:
bottom sphere (halved) and with a squish modifier. Then a sphere was placed on top of it. Then a torus ring was placed around the middle of the two. Then the scope was made with two cylinders. The only thing I forgot was to curve the top scope of the lens upward a bit, with a bend modifier.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
A new render of the observatory. Turns out I accidentally didn't save it the first time around so all I had was the render pic. So, I had to redo it. Looks a bit more refined this time. Cooler background.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#5]
Much better use of lighting in the last couple shots, however it doesn't match the background at all :).

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
what did you use for lightmapping?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
looks like a 3d studio max render, with raytraced shadows.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
Its 3d studio max 6, with omni lights placed in the scene.