weekly modeling comp: Airplane

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/weekly modeling comp: Airplane

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#1]
This week is about airplanes. It does not have to be a war plane, and it does not have to be a real plane, but it does have to be believable. Sorry no dilithium crystal power plants. Also it can be a jetplane or a future plane. I have never made one so I guess it should be under 3000 tris, but
quality is most important.
Texture size 512/512 and under.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#2]
what texture size ?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sopwith Pup

If memory serves it's about 500 triangles (including the pilot), single 256x256 surface.

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#4]

A fokker tri plane to shoot down the sopwith pup

859 polys texture 512x512

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#5]
Rob: Looks good just needs a prop and mabye some ribs on the wings to make it look a little more real.

Nick: That plane looks very good. How do you do such great textures? The only improvements I think it needs is to put a twist on the prop and mabye some more detail on the front
where the engine is.

I can't believe those are at such low tris counts mine is already around 500 polys.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#6]
This is turning into a good thing, its not only getting those of us who already do some models to model, but its also getting new people to try it out as well.

@ Blitzsupport Any chance of having a month round up of the months 4 compos, along with the winners and their models ??

in fact I'll make a new post about that to get their attention.

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#7]
RiverRatt. I find that if I can find an image over the net and then draw over it I can get quite good results and I can keep all the detail in the right place.I quickly knocked this up in an hour or two for a bit of fun, Hence the lack of detail around the engine and cockpit area. Im currntly modelling something a bit more challenging.Hopefully I will have time to get all the airlerons done properly and some working undercarridge etc.
As for the polycount its just habit to reduce everything to minimum where I can.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#8]
This ends friday? what day did the "modelling week" officially begin?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#9]
Sunday. Therefore the competition should end sunday.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks blood.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#11]
My entry, Messerschmitt 109...

Polygons:

-2645 triangles total (including the pilot etc)

Maps:

-256*256 map for pilot
-8*8 map for glass color
-8*8 map for glass alpha
-256*256 map for propeller color
-256*256 map for propeller alpha
-1024*1024 map for fuselage etc color

All maps were handpainted by me from scratch in PhotoShop using UV-maps and plane blueprints as a guide... it has separate ailerons, flaps and rudder, tires are not separate, just painted on the lower wing surface.

[edit] Duh... since the last viewing of this thread I now see that there is a max 512 texture size limit... guess I'm disqualified from this compo then :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#12]
I think we should exercise a little more freedom with compo's as this is clearly THE best entry.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#13]
four words for that one Mustang

Bee yooo teee full!

Anyways,... I always looked at these as comps with basic guidelines that can be broken. (They are just for fun, after all)

I also think the contest starter should be able to pick the parameters each week, and they can decide to deduct points from something that is outside the bounds.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#14]
I really like mustangs plane, but I have to say the painted on wheels really spoil it for me. All it needs are a few extra triangles to give them some shape and it'll look fine.

Mo(Posted 2004) [#15]
Mustang, isn't that the one you did for 3DMark03?

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#16]
very nice ones, Mustangs.

I like those type of games.

Gotta reinstall my Il2 sturmovik at some point...

poopla(Posted 2004) [#17]
oOOOOoo :)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#18]
Mustang, isn't that the one you did for 3DMark03?

Yup! Two years old or something... BTW, if my images disappear from time to time it's because I'm in the middle of switching hosts and all that crap...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#19]
that 109 kicks ass.

Im wondering if anyone has ever played the game AirAttack that was on wireplay(UK) ..

It was a huge WW2 combat sim, and although the gfx are dated now its still the best online flight exp i have ever had.

Iv been planning to remake it with models like above for a long time now and seeing that just makes me want to do it even more.

the game could handle 200 players at a time, just think of the chaos.

thanks for that blast from the past m8. and damn nice model.

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#20]
<<[edit] Duh... since the last viewing of this thread I now see that there is a max 512 texture size limit... guess I'm disqualified from this compo then :)>>
Thats why I put the "quality is more important" clause in there. And the texture size was added in late anyhow.
That plane is a sweet entry.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#21]
hey, i found an old pic of a modeling project i started for MicroFlight... a C-141 Starlifter, not textured, partial construction...

just for show... not quite up to competing with the nice lookin' 109 up there :)

--Mike

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#22]
Mustang: Would you please show a picture of your UV map.
I am having a hard time figuring out just how to map mine.
Or mabye the trouble is how I group things but my texture is coming out all funky.

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#23]
2100 polygons
512x512 texture

Just finishing touches to go. As we all know the Typhoon was more than a match for Me109. :)

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#24]
Would anyone pleese show a picture of there uv maps? I meen are you using a box map, planer map, how do you get those results? I,m not asking for your artwork just the flat wireframe uv style you use. I need to know how you group it.
Are the wings grouped seperate from the chasi?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#25]
RiverRat: The computer I was working on my model with is in the shop, so I won't be able to show anything more then what I posted above. The trick is to devide the mesh inot workable chunks, ones that works with specific mapping types. I use every type of mapping UU3d offers, it just comes down to the form of the geoemtry I'm messing with at the time.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#26]
Would anyone pleese show a picture of there uv maps? I meen are you using a box map, planer map, how do you get those results? I,m not asking for your artwork just the flat wireframe uv style you use. I need to know how you group it.
Are the wings grouped seperate from the chasi?

Ooops, missed your previous post about UVs... well I don't have the model here at home, but there is nothing strange about it: wings are planar mapped (y-axis) and fuselage planar mapped from the side... nose / cowling top is planar mapped along the wings like the bottom of the fuselage. After mapping I have just moved the bits on the UV-map so that top and bottom wing polys don't overlap. Only "tough" part in my me-109 was to get the fuselage side/top/bottom seam painted nicely, but that's just PhotoShopping. Also I kept the resulution 100% even so that I don't have for example more accurate (more pixels per meter) cowling top that the fuselage side is - because it would impossible then to paint the seam right, you'd always see the resolution change. I didn't had it then but today I would use TeraBits Tattoo to paint over the camouflage lines where the UV-map is discontinuos... that would make the actual PhotoShopping less trial-and-error.

Just finishing touches to go. As we all know the Typhoon was more than a match for Me109. :)

Well me-109 was designed 1934, and Typhoon 1938... four years was a lifetime then. I'm soon starting to model me-262, let's see then who wins... :P

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#27]
I'm posting in this thread on behalf of my brother Nick who's internet is down, and I dont have a copy of the UV maps here to show you either.

What I can say is that the software you use to flatten your object is the largest determining factor in how you go about texturing.

Personally I use Max's unwrap UV feature which has several options of texture unwrapping. A combination of breaking the model into limbs and different unwrap options gets me the flattened model - I then reattach the limbs afterwards and dissassemble again for the animation phase of the model.

Nick should be back online himself next week if you want to ask him.

-Andy

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#28]
some great models in this thread. mustangs is looking very 'spiffy'

poopla(Posted 2004) [#29]
I'm really bummed out :(. My airplane was starting to look very nice, but I won't get the PC with it/screenshots on it back unti monday/tuesday. *sigh*. Guess I'll try again next week!

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#30]
The pictures above are updated for the Typhoon. I have only wheels to add now, all of the ailerons and rudder are rigged for animation.

Here's another picture showing the underside.

I'm soon starting to model me-262, let's see then who wins

I might just have to set about modelling a Meteor then ;).

peer porte

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#31]
Well I did not have time to finish mine this week but here is some more shots anyhow.

http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/index2.html

poopla(Posted 2004) [#32]
So who won this one?

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#33]
Well all these planes are awsome. I'm confused though. Am I suposed to pick a winner? I think we should vote.
I think Mustangs 109 and Nicks are about dead even, but the 109 has more tris and a larger texture while Nicks Typhoon has about the same detail with fewer tris and a 512/512 texture so it will be faster in a game. Dev yours is great also but the nose is not a round enough, the window seams to be the wrong color, and the tail wings are missing the details in the texture. Ya I'm one to talk about textures.Ha Ha
So my vote goes to Nicks Typhoon. Its the best for the least.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#34]
I vote for Nick's Typhoon. As good as Mustang's is, it was produced some time ago for a well known 3d benchmark, and I think the fact the Typhoon was done in the space of a week deserves credit.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#35]
I vote the typhoon by nick, aswell. I was going to enter this week, but I were busy, maybe next week :).

poopla(Posted 2004) [#36]
I wasn't going for accuracy tbh :). I missread the opening statement and thought it said there was a 500 tri limit, so my bad on polygon counts. I never got to finish/upload the latest screenies either(That was about 10% complete, and my computer had to go into the shop becuase of some issue I wasn't able to resolve myself
:[) :). I'll try next week.

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#37]
Wow I did not notice it was only 480 tris. Thats good for for that count. Sure beets mine at around 3400 tris.
I feal so... disqualified
Good luck with yer computer issues.

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#38]
Nick's internet is still down (he's getting a new provider). He did ask me to say he would like this weeks challenge to be a train if he won.

I would guess with the same poly / texture limits for game usage.

-Andy

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#39]
In the intrest of keeping this going, I will post a new one with the train idea. if that is indeed what the winner wanted.