Fireworks

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Fireworks

po(Posted 2004) [#1]

Firecrackers: Standard, M-90, M-200
Roman Candles: 10-shot, 70-shot, 140-shot
Tubes: Small, Medium, Large
Bottle Rockets: Small, Medium, Large

I like firecrackers. :)

I'm thinking of making a game where you sell fireworks, kinda like that lemonade tycoon game.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Fireworks should be banned. Or at least, they should only be available to buy for the first week in November, and even then only to people with a licence to buy and use them.

Bloody nuisance, they are.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#3]
There are a lot more wide open spaces in the US than there
are in UK. Nothing wrong with popping off a few. I just
wonder about the lables on those things. If you scanned
them in then there may be copyright issues. If you made
the textures then it looks like a nice pro job.

po(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ya, I made sure not to use any real labels.
Gfk: who doesn't like blowing stuff up?? :)
Firecrackers and bottle rockets are illigal here, so you have to get them from some peeps at school.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
Didn't they outlaw bottlerockets?

po(Posted 2004) [#6]
Not in Mexico and China and some states, I don't think.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
did you watch 'grumpy old men' on the weekend GFK?

BlackTower(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yes fireworks should definately be banned. In my city there was a fireworks disaster in 2001. 150 tonnes of fireworks exploded and it left a crater. 500m2 of a populated area gone and 22 people were killed. I'd say away with fireworks.

BlackTower(Posted 2004) [#9]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Then they should first ban nuclear energy. I could post a pic of tschernobyl, but I guess you get it anyway.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#11]
Fireworks are mostly unsafe when handled improperly, and used by idiots. I'd agree that a liscense of sorts to purchase them would be a good idea. But you will never see them outlawed in the US, it's far to patriotic! :P

po(Posted 2004) [#12]
it's far to patriotic

You got that right, all the US fireworks websites I see have the background as the US flag or have thec word patriot in the title(such as Patriot Fireworks).
I shouldn't have used up all my money before halloween, now I only have 90 cents to buy firecrackers, maybe I can get 1 or 2. :)
Anyone got $100 for 16000 firecrackers: :)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#13]
"You got that right, all the US fireworks websites I see have the background as the US flag or have thec word patriot in the title(such as Patriot Fireworks)."

Well of course they do... The only time people really buy fireworks in the US is to celebrate The 4th of July... Independence Day.

"Fireworks should be banned. Or at least, they should only be available to buy for the first week in November, and even then only to people with a licence to buy and use them."

First week in November? You crazy? What are ya goona do light off fireworks for Thanksgiving? Not to mention everyhting is at it's most flammable then... Nay, if you're going to limit fireworks sales to one month only, and we discount July, then surely January is the best choice, when everything is frozen solid and in it's least flammable state.

And require a license? Jesus man! It's folks like that that got lawn darts banned, and made rules where you can't drive straight at one another in bumper cars. You're sucking all the fun out of life! Life's not supposed to be safe for sissies. That's boring!

Speaking of patriotism and fireworks, here in the US, one of those forest rangers went to a fireworks store and made them take down their giant inflatable eagle (the eagle being a symbol of the US) with the US flag emblazoned across it, that they had attached to their roof.

His reasoning?

It's illegal to erect statues of predatory birds that are larger than a certain size, because it scares away smaller birds.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#14]
Btw, if you want a fireworks game, check this out:
http://www.popcap.com/launchpage.php?theGame=rocketmania&src=findagame

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#15]
sswift, the reason for first week of November is a British thing - Guy Fawkes night on Nov 5. (Celebration of the day Guy Fawkes was prevented from blowing up English parliament in (17th?) Century. He was hung, drawn and quartered, then burned on a big bonfire. We celebrate it by making an effigy of a man and burning it. Lots of fun for the kids.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#16]
So in celebration of stopping a guy from blowing up part of England, the British celebrate every year by blowing up a bit of their own country?

"He was hung, drawn and quartered, then burned on a big bonfire."

I bet being set on fire was really painful!

poopla(Posted 2004) [#17]
We celebrate it by making an effigy of a man and burning it. Lots of fun for the kids.

LMAO! And you're banning Bambi!? /me falls over in a hysterical state.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#18]
tsk tsk
Fireworks smelllll...

GfK(Posted 2004) [#19]
did you watch 'grumpy old men' on the weekend GFK?
I got hit by a firework at an organised display many years ago, so excuse me for not wanting anything to do with them and getting sick of hearing them go off every night between August and November.

They're dangerous, in ANYONE'S hands. When the day comes that you've had pieces of burning magnesium searing into your flesh, perhaps you'll understand.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#20]
Fireworks rule.

{quote]When the day comes that you've had pieces of burning magnesium searing into your flesh, perhaps you'll understand.
[/quote]

Did it leave a scar?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#21]
Did it leave a scar?
Only mental ones. ;)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#22]
Just because you were unlucky, doesn't mean you should spoil everyone else's fun. There are lots of much more dangerous activities out there than lighting fireworks.

Like driving for example.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#23]
Just because you were unlucky, doesn't mean you should spoil everyone else's fun.
How am I 'spoiling everyone else's fun' simply by voicing my opinion?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#24]
You want them to be banned. If you got what you wanted, the end result would be the spoilation of everyone else's fun. :-)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#25]
Like driving for example.

Ban driving!!

P.S.
Can anyone hop over to Blitz3D forum and help me out in my thread :D ?? You smart brave men!

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#26]
So in celebration of stopping a guy from blowing up part of England, the British celebrate every year by blowing up a bit of their own country?

That we do. Never let it be said there was any logic behind it.

Reminds me of a Bill Hicks piece about Jesus coming back to earth and seeing everyone wearing pendants shaped like the means of his execution. It IS a bit weird, isn't it?

And in one fell swoop he angers millions of devout Christians...

po(Posted 2004) [#27]
Me and a friend put a firecracker in some dog poo today, it was funny. :)

It is also cool seeing them go in water, it drives like a boat then blows.
How do firecracker fuses not go out when they are put in water?