some old stuff I did at work long ago

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/some old stuff I did at work long ago

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#1]
in game company.

kindda really rushed stuff, and with a lot of pressure...crazy speed. the better stuff I haven't been able to recover...weird cd errors..

it's all crappy..was angry about me not doing characters there..hehe

I sometimes wasted stupidly time in modelling small details that could have been done with texture..(ie: in the coke(hehe grabbed a coke free font in the net) machine, there's more modelled than it seems and than it should..And I was a freak of bevelling corners while often not needed.)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice gate.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
I like the reddish cast lighting of the fire extinguisher. Is that part of the texture or did you render with a red light in the scene?

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#4]
a soft red light as you probably guessed...stuff you do at the end of the day to make it look cool for portfolio or something, heh. BTW, sometimes I rendered to texture this stuff...and environment maps was something that luckily our engine -actually my friend cowrokers were making the stuff as we asked for it, was a joy in that aspect- supported, though it never looked exactly like in the engine later on.

This stuff is all rushed, anyway...usually based on reference found in google..they called me "Yahoo" in first job, and near to call me "Google" in that second -there was a 2d based games in the middle of these two jobs- for I use to find good ref images/blueprints easily, hehe.

For real life objects is a need, though I never get too accurate, not needed, and no time usually, anyway :)
So i could work with Wings in a very similar way than with characters that I also made, but for characters, as I was also the only one concept guy, with a single main player(the boss wanted me to do so), all the rest I could avoid having to use the ref image method.

IE, for the extinguisher, I used just a front ref image plane. Built the tube/pipe(extrude-free, lift, etc) and all the stuff.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#5]
some others I had around here....all is done with real life references... barriers, gate are textured, all the rest no. And it(walls, etc) really looked cool...heh, the lamps I also modelled them.My friend co worker was in charge of level building and integration, rendering radiosity lightmaps and a load more of things...I made objects, props, characters...
He had an special ability for wall textures...

I made some wall/floor textures, not only objects/characters...I liked a lot a complex one I made for a corridor, but as I said, practically all my work is lost, I have not been able to keep it.
BTW, I think the game was cancelled, as all people were ...said goodbye... at a sad day.

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nice. I really like the phone.

What software did you use?

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]
Some very good stuff, Bob3D. I especially like the brushed steel texture on those security gate thingies.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#8]

A pitty a simply don't retain any kind of render or screenshot or something from the characters I made there... :(

Muzzer. I modelled with Wings3d (it brought serious fights with boesses there, ;)) every 3d thing there. The uv mapping, with Ultimate Unwrap.

For textures, all which fit me at the moment...dp3d, Ps, gimp...like in anothe rcompany, even used Pixia.

I have no kind of embarrasment to use totally free textures found in vaults, if they were very hi res (1600 and the like) -As my methods use to be mixing a load of textures in layers in multiply mode, bumps, etc...

In last stage, for a game project I don't preserve sadly any shot, we could use a digital camera in the studio, so, several texturing works relied strongly in wel retouched photos we made near the studio. Kindda funny :)

The brushed tetxure in the gate...curiously, you are the second person to mentionm the gate...while it was a too rushed work I made really quick..:)

I was not fond of putting it double, the gate, but was imposed.Kindda bad for performance, also. U see, for then, the levels intotal got a bit hi poly for then... I remember one room-level...heck, was like 100k tris...! But the cheap atis could handle it -not for an unreal game, but wasn't the aim- in the engine...I think we did count with really good coders...such a pitty.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#9]
I cant see the pics,

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#10]
yeah... neither can i... cut and paste in the address bar gives a 404... your provider not happy with mucho traffico or something similar maybe???

--Mike

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#11]
oops

excuse me...it's totally my fault. The server is quite good indeed -I pay it actually, is not free-

Is just that...I'm a bit lost with not seing number of views in this forums; when in other forums I see zero or few views, then I know I can safely remove the images to make more space...I use my space as a kind of virtual personal storage, too.And it becomes full of things and allways with some ks free only.

As I saw few replies, I thought nobody would notice, oops.

But actually, I am not in need of free ks now, so I can upload again and leave them there for a while...I think I am not breaking NDAs (as I was one of the few to not sign any, hehe , also, I think the game is definitelly stalled, and for portfolio, no nda existing, I think i can show...as I thought there were no views, I preferd not to forget them there...;)
But I'll leave then there, wont delete em in a time :))

I mean, try now refreshing the page ;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
ahhh, yes... verrrrry nice renderings B...

are these ingame shots or from the modeller?

--Mike

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#13]
From the modeller, they're renders, but no subdivison, is in its game polygon count.

bTW, these days the ingame shots with today's shaders and all, sometimes look nicer than the renders...mostly when the one rendering is one like me, that does not know anything good bout rendering, lol.

the two textures are just as they are, in jpg loss. Just done from scratch, with a load of layers slightly varying each the effect wanted. And many more stuff done for it.