weekly modeling comp: Spaceships

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/weekly modeling comp: Spaceships

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#1]
The subject for this week's modeling competition is spaceships. Any spaceship style you like, modern, future, alien, etc etc.

As for the maximum texture size, up to 1,048,576 texels are allowed (1024x1024), but less than 262,144 texels is recommended (512x512). Should be less than 2000 tris, although if you have a really cool one higher than this its ok.

The winner gets to pick an item for everyone to model next week.

The deadline is Monday, Oct 4th. Good luck!

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#2]
Oh, yay :)
Does it have to be mobile?

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#3]
*rolleyes* Ok let me be the party pooper now... I think we're a bit tired of so many compos man. Make it monthly compos eh?

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#4]
nah,... if you are not interested, sit out, but as long as there is *some* interest, lets keep this going.

EDIT: I am referring only to the weekly modeling comp,... there have been many other "model something for me" comps that are taking up space as well, and those could go away.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#5]
I agree, if you dont want to take part, no need to spoil the fun for everyone else.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thirded.

If the competitions are not your thing then don't click on the threads.. it's not hard to *not* read them is it!

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah.

Does it have to be mobile?

Dont know what you mean, but if you want to make a satellite, then go ahead.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice one bot. I will submit my models either monday if I have time(first day back at UNI) or tusday.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#9]

both from projects im working on right now.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#10]
Looks nice Yavin!
Here's my untextured (as always) concept. It's a bit huge, so I'm rather scared of texturing it, but I'll see what happens. The micro-wormhole generator is too small, but I'm working on it.
|edit| Wrong link... Image posted below

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#11]
Here is mine, from a gamespace competition I recently entered.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#12]
Wow, cool ships. Lucid's is like an ant + scorpion + spaceship.

Mr. Picklesworth - Looks like you copied the link from a website manager.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#13]
yup very bug like. I like it.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#14]
oh, right...
stupid 100webspace.
It's back up now:

For other stuff, read my post above.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
<cue shameless plug>

some shots of those models in their game's

and

</cue shameless plug>

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#16]
First the actual render...

One with wires...

From the back...

And a couple of flatshaded ones...

366 triangles. I'm happy with that.

elseano(Posted 2004) [#17]
Muzzer's is by far the most realistic =)

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#18]
I seem to be having some problems with texturing mine :)
But here it is without any textures applied.

1248 tris and 876 vertices.

Although I think if I work on it I can get fewer tris :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
I haven't finished the model yet but, I'll let you peep out the awesome concept drawing. I know it sucks but, I'm making a model not a concept drawing, anyway.

a box, a circle, some cylinders, a couple slices.

Bonus Cool Points if you can name it.
This is coincides with my new game project. Can you guess the title?? Also, if anyone has an original manual and can scan it I'd appreciate it. (1, not 2)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#20]
Cybernoid. Am I cool?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#21]
Muzzer's is by far the most realistic =)

Yes and no. Space ships don't need wings. :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#22]
Muzzer has my vote as well.

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#23]
It would look pretty stupid without them though...

Warren(Posted 2004) [#24]
I dunno, I thought the Borg Cube rocked.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#25]
Ahm. Now that I'm not in this competition i can have my own critique!! :D

Muzzer:
Man you just took the ship from 3d max tutorials and changed it MINIMALY if at all. That render is so easy to make as well, anything can be realistic if you render it like that, but the point is how it looks ingame. Try rendering it from Blitz and see how it looks, thats what counts. It's pretty unbelievable that someone could fall for what you tried to present as your own, correct me if i'm wrong.

lucid:
That looks high-poly, how many polys does it have? I'd like to see a wire ;) Otherwise it looks very cartoony, transformers-like, but cool in its own respect.

TomToad:
that model needs to be about 500 tris MAX! Those propeler looking things on top can have 10 polys each! 5 sides, 2 polys. They look like they have too many, and the benefits are invisible to me. It also happens to not look like a particular spaceship, but thats ok, most entries don't so far :D

Yavin:
Whoa your spaceships SUCK!

...juuuust kidding... loved that game ;)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#26]
MrTricks: You are uber-cool.

If anyone can do a better concept for me to model off I'd appreciate it. Mine sucks. ;)

Now, give Muzzer some credit (his looks more like a harrier anyhoo) the Max tutorial actually looks like this:

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#27]
@ Lenn, The ship is 1600 polys. As for a critique of the ship looking cartoony, well.... it is a game model. Not all games strive for uber realism.

The inspiration for the ship came from a praying mantis ship from Sierra's Space Quest series. I would argue that if the Sierra ship looked realistic, some magic would have been lost.

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#28]
First of all, I used Cinema4D not Max.
Secondly, I'd never even seen that ship until CodeD posted, so the chances of me copying it are pretty slim.

I can assure you I would never take somebody elses model and pass it of as my own. I understand that you could have mistaken my model for the one from the max tutorial, but let's face it, most spaceships are bound to look similar in someway.

The whole point of rendering a model or scene is to present it at it's best. It doesn't say in the 'rules' that the model has to be shown in-game. I merely used the software for what it was intended.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#29]
I'd give Muzzer the benefit of the doubt. I studied the tris on the max model and there are really only a couple of places where they look similar (tris concerned) Otherwise, to turn that max model into Muzzer's Harrier wouldv'e turned into a veritable slicing frenzy. And cutting out some of those parts would have left empty spaces in the model and to close up those spaces wouldv'e left squashed, elongated, and otherwise strange looking tris. Muzzer's tris look clean and planned not cut and cleaned. Cutting the max model into Muzzer's wouldv'e left some very shoddy spots on the finished model. I don't think Muzzer copied that model.

I've been watching CSI ;)

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#30]
Good work, Sherlock. lol

It actually started life as a cube. I simply extruded and scaled from there.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#31]
I don't have any webspace to link pics from...but if you click here:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/10998753/

My little entry...far from finnished :P

Its a single surface mesh of 522 polygons, modeled in Wings 3D, U/V mapped in Ultimate Unwrap...I basicly exported the U/Vs to a 512 X 512 BMP file, draw up some cockpit windows, added some stripes, colored some sections differently - basicly its only a very temporary texturemap...also in the image the ship has a tiny experimental 8 by 8 pixel cubemap ment to give a slight metallic sheen to the surface (which accounts for some of the wierd surface tones on some areas)

appart from the temporay texture, I still have to reimport it back into Wings 3D to reset some of the polygon edge hardness and other tweeks...

Anyway, I hope that link works...but if not, would anyone be willing to host the image so it can be shown here?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#32]
Quite, Gundam-Ish.

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#33]
Yeah, I like it.

If you want somewhere to upload pics for free, try www.imageshack.us

Quick and easy... and free.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#34]
Thanks! :)

Lets see if this works:

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#35]
nice MSW.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#36]
behold! my ub3r 1337 modelling and texturing skillz!

It's a steam powered spaceship!

Caff(Posted 2004) [#37]
Perturbatio is the clear winner for ingenuity

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#38]
Perturbatio is the clear winner for ingenuity.

Unfortunately, this is a modeling contest. I think CodeD has the best one.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#39]
That's not CodeD's - it's a Max tutorial model. Do try and keep up. :)

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#40]
Can I Play?
Here is my Entry.
Please let me know if the link does not work as I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to the internet.
Thanks

PS it's a little over the tris limiate...
But only like, 2000 over. Mostly from the guns being smoothed.

Made with wings and milkshape

http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/myhomepage/profile.html

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#41]
Yeah, but thanks tho. ;)

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#42]
"Yeah, but thanks tho."

That could mean so much, or so little.
?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#43]
Wow. Some really nice ones so far.

Perturbatio's is awesome for shear creativity. :D
Yavin's are impressive because although he didnt mention it here, thats only 2 of 50.
Lucid's is cool because of the modeling and texture job
Muzzer's got a nice model but lacks a bit in texture
MSW's got a neat model but the texture lacks a bit.
RiverRatt's model is cool but no texture :p

As for my critisims of texture, believe me, I cant do much better :P

In other words, I cant decide :|

As far as I'm concerned,

Perterbatio's- most funny/creative
Lucid's- best model/texture

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#44]
Yeah, I really need to improve on the texture on mine, but I'm so busy at work I can't find the time.

I'll try and add some details later.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#45]
Well, if ya read the posts 'yeah, thanks tho' means that I was posting a max model for comparison.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#46]
i agree, stick a better texture on that and its def the best ship here.

WendellM(Posted 2004) [#47]
Here's the worn-out freighter starship that Jeff Roe created for our AstroNavis Merchant boardgame. It's just over 2,200 tris, mostly since it's unoptimized (it's just for static renders for the boardgame version, not yet tweaked for the upcoming Blitz version) with a 1,024 x 1,024 texture:

The image below is "poster" art for the boardgame expansion that we're working on right now:

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#48]
I you shoud change the texture from that woody brown to a
copper, gold color. Mor matalic.
But thats just me.

WendellM(Posted 2004) [#49]
^ Normally I'd agree with you, but we're indeed going for a "rusty" feel. It's an *old* freighter that's been through some rough times and is kinda near falling apart <g>.

Yours looks like a nicely imposing attack (or perhaps troop-landing) vehicle - good job.

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#50]
It kinda reminds me of the marines landing crafts in Halo.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#51]
Everything in Halo is a bit....blue. Everything. You won't find one thing that's not blue.

po(Posted 2004) [#52]
My crate ship thing:

I bet mine has fewer poly's: 11 objects, 117 faces, 201 edges and 106 vertices. :)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#53]
Here's my quick effort. Just made it up as I went along. :)

Currently not textured but I want to get it textured at somepoint, just as an excercise in using Ultimate Unwrap properly, etc.

I seem to have been influenced by Stars Wars somewhat - it's so hard to come up with something totally original.

S.P.A.R.C. is the manufacturer - no idea what it stands for, I just liked the acronym. :P

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#54]
http://uk.geocities.com/arxspace@...

My Contribution. A quick render of a cargo ship.

Ion-Storm

Arxspace Development
www.arxspace.com

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#55]
sweet!
Looks like a nice target for my fs Rat Hunter.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#56]
Nice ION, Id rather see some basic shaded renders though so we can see the model better.

It does look nice but makes it hard to really get a feel for the ship.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#57]
Ok. Will Do.
try this:- http://uk.geocities.com/arxspace@...

A refinery Ship.

Ion.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#58]
eek!

I'm texturing my jump gate now...

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#59]
A couple of spaceships that I have done in the past.
img
2000 polys

img
591 polys

One qustion though, where do I send the models to for judging

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#60]
Well, here is mine again. I ended up demolishing my hull texture because I haven't yet applied it correctly (it actually looks somewhat artistic this way, but I spent an hour on the texture so I want it seen). I'm posting this because I like my particle effect.

As for the model, it's done. I was thinking of adding more edges to the long base there where all the molecular processing things are, but I decided that it didn't go with my style. The ship docking bay isn't shown in this render because the textures don't go with it at all and make the door invisible. It has four nice glowing rods though :)
Came out to 518 polygons when triangulated, which leaves me room for some little details if I want.

|edit| Too lazy to rewrite my post, but please disregard all self-hatred regarding textures.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#61]
Sorry mate,
I dont actually like it.

The particles dont appear to have any depth, but the model indicates it, maybe u should make the blue bit look deeper. You have done a bevel on the opening and it dosnt work, u need to do step. The UV mapping is awful, by your own admission. the tower bit on top look Okish, but you need more surface detail to make the whole model scale look bigger. Imagine if it was a working Stargate, there would be machinery rooms and such, therefore i would expect buildings and off shoots and such. The lighting is bad. The whole object in my mind should be symetrical.
Its all about creating a believable object.
Please dont take it the wrong way, im trying to encourage not flame.
Keep trying its promising..

Ion-Storm
ArxSpace Development Team

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#62]
Don't worry, I agree with every bit of your critique. I'm right now working on a surface bump map for nice chunks of hull plating, and I'm puttering with a UV map.
As for detail to express scale: My concept sketch is back up (near the top of this thread) as of 2 seconds from this post, and what I'm basically aiming for is a massive hyperspace gate.
Thanks for the critique :)

Edit: Oh, I just figured out the wings 3d UV mapper, after a year of pondering :) Texturing done, look above. Moving on to bump mapping... That will just need some clever use of photoshop to do.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#63]
No worries.

Can I suggest if yourve got 3d Studio, get a plugin called
Greeble, it creates a nice surface detail. Though it does introduce extra polys.

Ta.
Ion.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#64]
No, I'm using C4d

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#65]
They all look good.

Regards
Ion

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#66]
I vote for Pertubio. Steam Ship.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#67]
Hm... I'm getting carried away, but I'm so darned excited :)
Here is my final renders. I've actually gone really too far and I'm doing a video (this is my first 3d scene with proper texturing, so I'm quite happy). Will put that in a different thread if it gets done.

Full Render:

Docking Bay for Repairs (Ship not included):

Uhh... woops. Forgot the engines on the ship. Meh :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#68]
Pickles, just add a bump map to your material. Easy.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#69]
Okay, here is my spaceship. I didn't have time to finish my Cybernoid so, here is the proxy, a super secret project known only as The AWESOME SHIP.

Bow you mere mortals before my undeniable 3d max skillage.
Mu ha ha ha ha!!

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#70]
Ok this is my first use of lithunwrap. I don,t have a very good art program (painter clasic), or I'm sure I could do better but here is mine with texture.

http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/myhomepage/profile.html
sugestions?

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#71]
CodeD: Sorry to say thast prob the worst model ive EVER seen out side the Tate Modern.

Lol
Ion.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#72]
RiverRatt:
I like the general ship shape/design it looks like it could be a real ship, the only criticism I can think of with this is that I don't see how it would land without damaging that missile rack underneath it. (presumably landing legs would come down or something, but there is no indication of that).

(I realise that mine doesn't have that, but it's so obviously not intended to be a realistic design).

Dislikes (it looks long, but it's all really just addressing the same issue):
The texture (I suck at texturing too, but I can tell when something has been textured nicely).
You could add a lot of detail with the texture (for instance, simple rectangles with a bit of depth to them at the base to infer landing struts).
A ship designation, i.e. a logo representing the owner of the ship (i.e. corporate ship, military, pirate, etc). or even just the name of the owner and a ship number would add to the design.
A bit of damage to the hull, energy blasts, make it look like it's been used. This is one of the things ILM got right in the original star wars, they made the spaceships look like they've been used, making them more realistic.

Something I understand (but seem to be unable to implement very often) is that simple details can make a simple model look so much better. A door for instance, or hinges at the rear of the window if it lifts up, perhaps some metal struts along the edges of the window to hold the glass in position.

Apologies for the long posts, but I think your ship could be made to look really good. (I hate reading long posts, so I'll forgive you if you just skip this).

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#73]
Perturbatio: Thank you for your input. Its the first space ship I ever made so ya there is lots to work out. I have several other skins made but not finished yet.
<You could add a lot of detail with the texture (for instance, simple rectangles with a bit of depth to them at the base to infer landing struts).>

I started to do that but the rects and lines get pulled out of propotion and all messed up when aplied. I need to remap it but I think i,ll just make another ship.

Tada! All done
Here It is.
http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/index2.html

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#74]
Very cool entrys.

Lets get some votes from people though. So many to choose from :P

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#75]
I vote for Inner.

Inner once said on MIRC, "God is my vehicle."

Thou shalt not beat Inner!

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#76]
>Wow, cool ships. Lucid's is like an ant + scorpion + spaceship<

Ya and you forgot transformer.

Lucids is the coolest because....
That cool alien scull
sweet texture
and its like a robot and a space ship
very original.

I also like Ions 1st one becouse it could also be a leval.
Good texture.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2004) [#77]
Hoo !

Here is my old spaceship:

Its a bit oldskool :)

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#78]
Ok final version of my sf Rat Hunter (well at least that I'll post. Shortend up the back and aplied a new texture
just using milkshape.

http://hometown.aol.com/djerrymcclure/index2.html

big10p(Posted 2004) [#79]
OK, I guess I vote for Lucid because it's the most striking and unusual.

I vote for Inner.

Inner once said on MIRC, "God is my vehicle."

Thou shalt not beat Inner!

Um, where is Inner's ship - I can't see it here. :/

Glad to see my effort went down like a lead balloon! lol. :P

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#80]
I vote for Ion-Storms refinery ship, has a B5 look to it :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#81]
Since I can't vote for myself :( I vote for Ion's refinery ship. Very interesting shape. 2nd choice would be Nick's ships.

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#82]
I would vote for Perturbatio`s spaceship. I like the cartoon aspect

Paul Murray(Posted 2004) [#83]
I couldn't be bothered to finish mine. I've been too busy playing Halo multiplayer, so I think this one's going to be an ongoing project.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#84]
Polls so far:

Perturbatio's Steam Ship: 2
Ion's Refinary Ship: 2
Lucid's Antish Ship: 2 (assuming RiverRatts last post is a vote)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#85]
Might as well end it up. I vote for lucids because its original, well modeled, well textured.

IMO nick igoes are a close second.

Perturbatio's Steam Ship: 2
Ion's Refinary Ship: 2
Lucid's Antish Ship: 3

So basically, lucid's won.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#86]
Congrats Lucid :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#87]
Yay lucid! Choose the next topic.

If I could choose, I would do "BlitzBasic-related." Stuff like a computer made ONLY for BlitzBasic. Ok, nevermind. That idea sucks.