It's All In The Textures...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/It's All In The Textures...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#1]
... that's what one of the guys said over at the 3DRAD board where i first posted this.

and i couldn't agree more.

what was first a plain untextured insides of a cylinder, now becomes something entirely believeable by just applying this rip of a few textures from Doom3 to the insides of said cylinder...

... and if you look at the Doom3 textures, they aren't that hi resolution either.

ya know, it just makes me that more humbled when not even my 1024 x 1024 sized attempts at skinning a pig even come close...

... someone direct me to a good layer texturing tut :(

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
these texturs are using a classical color set: steel+woodish. Of course there is no wood, but the greytones and browntones combination makes it look sexy. (compare eg. alien breed).
Additionally decent relief usage gives good depth. You should not use reliefs that are deeper/higher than 4 cm (in the world).

Plus if you can add a certain amount of dirt, this will also help to give the scene some live feeling.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yep. Texturing also takes far longer than modeling, and fewer people can do it right. Unfortunately, you won't find layered textures like that anywhere on the net. Everything is these crappy procedural surfaces.

aab(Posted 2004) [#4]
Texturings What i cant do. MS paitn has its capabilities, but still....im stuck with that for now.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#5]
You should check out Texture Maker. It creates some great looking textures that you can use as a base for your own with a bit of imagination.

Jason.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#6]
Photoshop it baby. I believe Psionic has some good tuts at http://www.psionic3d.co.uk

Dreday(Posted 2004) [#7]
There is a book called "The Dark Side of Texturing" which is really good. It shows you how to make textures like you see in Doom step-by-step (using photoshop). It also has chapters on doing textures for medieval games and things like that. Very easy to follow and comes w/ a CD with some cool textures to get you started.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
I can second the recommendation for that book. It's a great read if you can't get your head around getting from the crappy procedural surfaces Halo refers to through to the layered textures you find in Doom, Quake, Unreal et al. It broadly covers all the bases, medieval, industrial, scifi and make sures it explains everything you need to do and why you're doing it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
neat!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]
That sounds like a good book, even for a non-artist.