IM no 3d artist but i have to show this off!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/IM no 3d artist but i have to show this off!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#1]
From a single picture, and almost no previous knowledge of 3d modeling:

Some people have taken the piss out of me for this, why eh? WHY? :P

Lemme know what y'all think.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#2]
Its not bad, but does sort of look like you did a 2d spline in the shape of the car body, then extrude. The texture job could do with some work (around the wheels).

But for a first time model it is "not bad" :)

granada(Posted 2004) [#3]
(From a single picture, and almost no previous knowledge of 3d modeling:)

Good start :D

dave

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#4]
"but does sort of look like you did a 2d spline in the shape of the car body, then extrude"

Hehe, yes, i kinda had to, i only had one picture of the car :)

im glad i got it textured, and the texture problem around the wheel keeps returning for some odd reason!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
nice one. looks like a lamborghini countache. Now go and find some topdown pictures for the textures, the web is big :)

aab(Posted 2004) [#6]
its a prism,though. Brilliant prism at that.
The textures are applied really well i think

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#7]
Good start man, i suggest you mess around with that model until you make it perfect. Thats how i learned a lot, you will too. Just mess around and read tutorials.

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#8]
try not extruding just once, but maybe 5 or 6 times - that way you can change the shape of the car towards the center, making the front stick out more, the roof slightly higher, etc... looks good though!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#9]
It reminds me of that car Homer designed in an episode of The Simpsons (the one that sent his brother's car company bankrupt). :)

In fact:

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#10]
"try not extruding just once, but maybe 5 or 6 times - that way you can change the shape of the car towards the center, making the front stick out more, the roof slightly higher, etc... looks good though! "

hmmm! didnt even think of that, extrude.. ya know, i think im gona go redo this one! or at least, mod it a bit more....

@GfK: yes, yes it does.... D'OH!

ive also got a horrid problem with some zordering and a plane i threw in to make the in car view realistic >.<

@aab: Thanks, im realy chuffed with my texturing, even more chuffed at my transparent windows! ^.^

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#11]
yeah m8 keep at this.

these two were my first cars as well. and I used the same method, I splined the outline of the middle of the car, then extruded a few times to the left and right to give me something to work with.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#12]
How can you not extrude? I guess all my accomplishments were pathetic compared to these. The only way I can create a car is to draw a 2D poly and extrude. Is there anyone that can help me with my problem?

And I can't figure out at all how to create those weird texture maps. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE GET THIS ALL ALIGNED?!?!?!

You 3D artists are weird, man.....

aab(Posted 2004) [#13]
hmm. im a 'texture?' person myself

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#14]

And I can't figure out at all how to create those weird texture maps. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE GET THIS ALL ALIGNED?!?!?!

In truespace, I use U/V Cow U/V Cow tutorial

Mikel(Posted 2004) [#15]
Give yourself time and keep at it. You got a good start and that counts for a lot.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#16]
im going back into it later on and designing a car i have multiple views of!
i need to, i have a car engine to model for (save myself £100s)

Cheers for your comments :D

Nick Igoe(Posted 2004) [#17]
A whole new world awaits you. I now spend my time looking at stuff and working out how I could model it. My girlfriend regualrly asks why I`m looking at here stangly. I now see polygons everywhere.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#18]
lol @ nick.

Damn my servers down atm, so the pics arent working (werent working) as of this post...

Il post back when im done with car v2.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#19]
why not make it from a box, (much easierIMHO)
Define the form roughly with a box, cut in to it to get the shapes you want

But yeah, nice work yavin

Henrik(Posted 2004) [#20]
I think it is a good start:)

This is my very first model,i am also total new to modeling,i made it in GameSpace Light(this week),
from 3 digital shots of my old Mazda 323F(Astina)
Hehe it allmost looks like a car
Henrik

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#21]
@Cygenus:
I would add more detail to the texture.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#22]
o.O i would, only i didnt make the texture- its the same pic i built the car from :P

@ruz

Box modeling didnt do good for me- i have to have something there to start with- ie a background picture. If i dont have that, i cant work, cuz i dont have a good mind for images and stuff :(