New music + website

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New music + website

Caff(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all!

I am trying to launch myself as a musician - I am interested in composing for games, films, animations, anything! I am cheap to hire whilst I try to get some initial tracks done!

Please have a look at my website:
http://www.roastpork.co.uk

Also some of the tunes from the showcase here:
http://www.roastpork.co.uk/music/mindstorm.mp3 - (1.3Mb, 192khz mp3)
http://www.roastpork.co.uk/music/inspire.mp3 - (1.3Mb, 192khz mp3)
http://www.roastpork.co.uk/music/turkishbosh.mp3 - (1.8Mb, 192khz mp3)
http://www.roastpork.co.uk/music/zoomy.mp3 - (2.8Mb, 192khz mp3)

E-mail:
chris@...

I use tools such as FL Studio and Sound Forge, along with a royalty-free sample bank of nearly 10,000 samples and instruments. Any compositions I do for you will be original, tailored specifically to your requirements / production, and completely yours to do with as you wish.

Cheers!
Chris

po(Posted 2004) [#2]
I like them. Although I think the last one(zoomy.mp3) could do without the wierd laugh. What did you use to make them?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#3]
they're pretty good. Although, I'm not personally a fan of minimalistic composition. I need something with a hard thumping beat. Nice stuff, tho. But, what the heck is Roast PorK????

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks!

I use composition software called FL Studio (also known as Fruityloops). The instruments themselves I pick from a sample bank of nearly 10,000 royalty-free samples and electronic instruments. That's nearly 6Gb of individual instrument .wav files. These I've collected over a period of about 5 years.

Agreed the laugh is a bit out of place in Zoomy, I was playing around with a track and chucked it up on the website. :)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#5]
Game music is easy to make. Just keep in mind that if a player is going to listen to a few tunes all the times, at least make them either longer or make many of them. Caff, you have great sounds. I am a musician and i tried making my own stuff that i compose for real (rock songs for my band) to simulate them (before i wrote them) in FL and SoundForge with a great number of samples and i get so frustrated. It is so tedious and it is very hard to let your imagination run fluently in such an environment. Other than that making game music is easy.

A note: in Inspire you can hear how you pitched down the same beat effect a few times. Also the drum you have there is pretty low quality, and in general its hardest to sample drums like that. Consider getting a drum machine.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yes, bear in mind these are 'snippets' of completed or WIP tracks - I don't want to bombard listeners / customers with 5 minute long, large download epics. A smaller download is listened to more. I won't compromise on sound quality by lowering the bitrate either. :)

I am aiming to get more of a 'live' sound into my tracks in future. It's all to easy to drift into a synthetic sound with computer composition, hopefully if I can get a couple of contracts I can save up to get some guitars and drums etc.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#7]
You can have guitars and drums easily, but you need a studio. You could try recording straight to your PC but that would either be without the amps and any effects it might have, or through an amp where you must verrry careful adjust the gains and have good connections so you dont hear too much crackle - since a PC has its static charge as well. Drums are much harder because you need a superb microphone and soundproof room. A studio is what i'm saving for :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
If you play it out some good speakers, and record it through a live microphone in an ambient setting it will add more of a 'live' feel to it. That's a trick a lot of mixers use.

And, this question I pose again.

What is Roast Pork? Can you tell us the joke? Any history behind it? Or did it just happen to roll off your tongue??

Caff(Posted 2004) [#9]
If I won the lottery, the first thing I'd do is get a house with a massive room for a recording studio :)

Roast pork is just a name, nothing more... dunno why I thought of it, probably just because of something I ate :-) It was only later pointed out to me it might be seen as anti-semetic :/ not the intention at all though. :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#10]
it sounds right for some reason.
;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
YOu can record a guitar easily when you have some hiq AmpSim + MultiFX. It will never sound like the real one, but the diffrence is marginal.
Todays Soft-Drummachines sound pretty perfect, not so long ago I fooled a Studio Engineer, he didn't realize it was a Drummachine :)

I like the examples, they fit well in a game theme, reminds me a bit of the hitman 2 soundtrack. First I was a kind of confused by it's synth-ish sound, but after a while i found it pretty nice. Tho, don't forget the player is probably gonna hear it for many hours, so the games designer should at least use completely diffrent tunes in every level.

Personally I prevere soundtrack that was recorded with a classical orchestra, but currently I don't have the cash for those tunes although there are some websites dedicated for cheap classical soundtracks.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'm cheap :)

I will aim to help you sell as much as possible by making your game sound GREAT, not just average, and of course it will be original!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
Would you also work on a base of participation?

Caff(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well -

1. No money up front
2. Pay on completion of the track, and only if you are happy with the end result.

I will put my rates up on the website this weekend, until now please e-mail me at chris@... for prices :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#15]
About guitars: theres alot to read up there so im unsure if its already been said

IN flstudio theres a plugin you can get called Slayer 2. I plugged my guitar into my computer and put it through that for some quite nice sounds :)