The make a 'Raygun' compo!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The make a 'Raygun' compo!

Tom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

The new subject for this weeks modeling competition will be...

1930's to 1960's Rayguns!

Yes!, go back to a period in time, where the actual design of the gun had no relation at all to it's function. A time of lightning bolts, antennas, hot-rod paint jobs & 'swirly things' :)

The model should be 1000 tris max, with a texture map no bigger than 1024x1024 and suitable for use by any alien invader with no sense of taste! (although, if it comes in a vanilla flavour, they'll probably take it anyway!)

Here's a little inspiration for you:
http://www.toyraygun.com

Previous compo threads:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=37844
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/topics.php?forum=92

Winner will be announced next Monday evening (Sept 13th), so get modeling, have fun & good luck!

Tom

p.s please, no rayguns called Ronald! :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
This contest I'll want to enter. Crates and chairs just aren't terribly interesting to model.

EDIT: Alright, I picked a gun from that site and modeled it. Now to do the texture and I'll post.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#3]
Okay, here is my crappy raygun.
For those of you who don't know.
It's a Sub-Atomic Particle Obliterator.

Yeah, I know it's 'Low-Poly'. ;) I'm a total Max noob.

Check out my portfolio online and make fun of it, too!
Cheers.

and here is another bad attempt. I think it makes the first one look good. At any rate it's a good arguement for not using 'blob meshes' when you're modeling guns.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Here's my gun
www.3darteest.com/downloads/raygun.zip

The mesh came out great, but I spent like zero time on the texture. I rather like the low-rent cartoony look however. It fits with the whole scifi B-movie theme.

ADDITION: Thanks to Richard Colletta, here's a screenshot

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#5]
Im a bit exhausted from all the competition :P and guns arent my favourite (i'm one of those peace protestors) and i believe we can have peace with Aliens too. So instead, i will design a nice landing pad with and ice-cream stand for any aliens that might use any of your guns ^^

cermit(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nice one Joseph the light grey texture looks like its painted on paper and scanned into the computer (not that its a bad thing) and it fits the raygun perfectly.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#7]
jhocking - can you post a picture here?

NTense(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice Joe... I like the environment mapping. It adds that nice new plastic feel to it :)

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#9]
C'mon guys,... we need more rayguns!

Here's mine,... not done yet, but don't know if I'll get to the itty bitty details. 876 tris.

And here is the blitz mesh and scene if anyone wants to play. (free to use as you wish)
http://www.redgreenbob.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/pongo_raygun.zip

gpete(Posted 2004) [#10]
Here one I made in Rhinocerous, textured in Gamespace:

WendellM(Posted 2004) [#11]
C'mon guys,... we need more rayguns!

OK - here's an oldie! I dug out one that I did in DesignCad 3D back in 1992: an early attempt at a Matsumoto-style pistol from Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato).

It's 4,600 polys with *no* texture map (not an option back then), just materials, and it's pretty crude in other ways as well, so this isn't a real contest entry. It's just so that anime-style rayguns won't be completely unrepresented ^_^ :

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
This is as far as I got with this, the rifle is still too complex, and I'm no good at texturing.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#13]
And the winner is......

JHocking! I have to say I pondered between Js and Pongos, but the silver sherrifs star on Js done it for me :)

A special mention to Wendelms model, it looks scarily like something Arnold Schwartzenegger would use to pull Bush out of his ass......erm.....I mean, tracking devices from his nose! :)

Hopefully a better turn out for the next compo!

Cheers
Tom

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#14]
Ah crap, now I gotta think up the subject matter for the next comp.