The Mummy Contest!!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The Mummy Contest!!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, Here's the deal! Im' giving til' the end of this month
to see who can make the best egyptian mummy possible with the following animations: Idle, Walk, Attack, Pain, Die... The successful canidate will get the prize money in the amount of $300.00 Also the seccusful canidate will also
get further business from me on a regular basis for my upcoming gaming projects! Please post your screenshots here to show your progress of your work! Let's see how interesting this can get!!! ;)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#2]
How do we know you are serious ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
I love the "dead" animation. Well, that is a heavy task, and most of us will end with a mummy that none will buy. I wish you good luck, but maybe it would be better to hire one designer to make you a mummy for 200$. Or take Psoinics Ninja and paint it like a mummy, should do the job too ^^

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yea dude, hire me for 150 and i'll do it top notch. 200 is better price but im not sure what you'd like :) or that you would like mine the most although i'm sure it would be the best ;o)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
If I'm the only entrant ( who has trouble modelling a cube ) do I get the money even if you don't like the result? ;)

NTense(Posted 2004) [#6]
What kind of a polycount are you wanting? Do you want cartoonish or realistic? How many texture maps, and what's the max mapsize? Do you want the mummy to have separate fingers or wrapped hands? Exposed decayed flesh or totally wrapped. Smooth movements or stiff 'I've been dead for way too long movements...' I may be interested in this :) BTW, if you're going to hire someone out-right, feel free to email me :)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#7]
lol no dammit hire ME! i want to learn using bones finally .... :P

(im joking too much , afraid noone will get it -_- and i wont be hired)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#8]
Make it out to 'CASH' guy. No, seriously. C-A-S-H. Okay?

Seriously, though. Could you say no to those mummified doe eyes? I know I couldn't. >sniff<

BTW, your website doesn't work.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#9]
imho $200 for a model with those anims is cheap..but best of luck doctor

have you asked bloodlocust ?

puki(Posted 2004) [#10]
My entry is the Dark Matter mummy - so nobody else can take the idea.

It is animated and has 'Idle, Walk, Attack, Pain, Die, Dead', etc.

I don't need to post it as it is a known model and comes in .x and .3ds formats.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#11]
Respect to CodeD -
It has a certain 'je ne sais quoi'
Maybe you could put together a tutorial on modelling ;)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#12]
LOL. I see your MAX skills are coming along in leaps and bounds, CodeD. :P

I thought that was something out of Doom3 for a minute! :D

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#13]
See, i already dont stand a chance of winning :\

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#14]
A rigged animated model for an uncertain payment of $200 is not worthwhile.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#15]
Excellent you FOOLS!! I shall win by default!!
MU HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#16]
Is there a deadline on this comp?

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#17]
by the end of the month

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#18]
Oh yeah, I missed that in his post.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
JHocking, any attempt by you or anyone to Match My Mummy will be futile. Futile, I tell you!! Okay, seriously though. I'm sorry. I'll start taking my medicine, again.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#20]
puki - darkmatter mummy not allowed to redistribute :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#21]
ok, here's my WIP mummy:

What? Of course that's a mommy. At least that's what it says all the time: "mommy, mommy, i want this and that"
It is already conserved and highly full of dope, so it can be smoked like any mummy. I only got to add some gauze.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#22]
He said mummy not DUMMY :P

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#23]
@Lenn

How do we know you are serious ?

Well... Work on something, And post your screenshots of it here, And you'll see! Im' very serious indeed, And I do guarantee that someone here will collect the amount mentioned, if not more! It all depends upon the work!

@NTense

What kind of a polycount are you wanting? Do you want cartoonish or realistic? How many texture maps, and what's the max mapsize? Do you want the mummy to have separate fingers or wrapped hands? Exposed decayed flesh or totally wrapped. Smooth movements or stiff 'I've been dead for way too long movements...' I may be interested in this :) BTW, if you're going to hire someone out-right, feel free to email me :)

I Would like to have a serious scary-like mummy with a poly count no higher than 1500. The lower the poly count ofcourse is always better! I would perfer to have a single texture map for the model, and I would like to perferably keep the texture map size within a 512x512 size! Wraped hand will also be fine for the model. Some exposed decayed flesh showing on the model would also be ok! And Smooth movements would also be fine. Once again, Post some work samples here, And show me your serious... And based upon the work, we could talk via email.

@CodeD

Make it out to 'CASH' guy. No, seriously. C-A-S-H. Okay?

Seriously, though. Could you say no to those mummified doe eyes? I know I couldn't. >sniff<

BTW, your website doesn't work.

My website has been down awhile! I'll have it up within a couple of weeks! Sorry!! :(

@halo

A rigged animated model for an uncertain payment of $200 is not worthwhile.

Uncertain payment?!? I keep my word halo!!! :o
I asure you that I most certainly have the payment of $200.00 mentioned above! This also could be more depending upon the work involved! Plus anyways, I don't happen to have modellers already working for me like you do halo, And I would appreciate if you would not mention such post-replies as this one, as this is nothing more than a deterant towards others on here that might actually assist me here on a project that I need such media as this!

With all due respect towards others on here that has previously posted to this thread, I would appreciate serious inquiries only please!! :)

I do like jfk's Bush-Mummy though ;)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#24]
I will give it a shot, but If you don't see me posting again, it just mean that I didn't make it good enough ^^

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#25]
Can I just have my $200 now, please??

(See first post by CodeD)

cermit(Posted 2004) [#26]
CodeD: Your mummy is cool even if its made out of spheres, cubes (and one stretched sphere for mouth?). I was just wondering if it is animated too, couse that would be cool :D

Jfk your mummy gives me nightmares!

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#27]
Mmm...actually I used a Torus for his lip. Mu Ha ha Ha!
Yes, there are animations albet they suck. ;)

cermit(Posted 2004) [#28]
Hehehe that's great :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#29]
That was a joke by the way. I don't suck that bad at max. I could probably make something passable and marginally less crappy in say a couple hours. Not pro material though.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#30]
then let's see whatcha' got then!! :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#31]
That's if I didn't have 2 kids, and a wife. My last project which was just a scenic view took a day to refine. I'm working on a large RPGish city right now, god knows how long that will take. You can see the current progress on my 3d models page on my online portfolio.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#32]
I real quick doctored up a model I have sitting on my harddrive to look like a mummy:

cermit(Posted 2004) [#33]
Yeah i know you're joking CodeD, your mummy could even have been done in Blitz3D :) i think

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#34]
@jhocking

Hey joe, that mummy isn't to bad! But could you make him a little thinner & more scary-looking! Maybe also refine the texture map to be a little bit more detailed! like part of his badages being torn and withered, maybe part of his bones showing through! Most mummies are decayed away a little bit and they show thier age also.. ;)

But other than that, he's nice looking!! :)

P.S. Keeping working on him and make him better, And you very well could be the winner here! Unless ofcourse bloodlocust comes in with a masterpiece that brings the house down so to speak!! But this is starting to become more interesting! That's why I opened this up to the community to see who all might want to join in and try their hand at it! This gives a more better selection to determine which one would win this competition.. ;)

Keep'em coming guys!!

Akat(Posted 2004) [#35]
doctorwho... gimme one day to finish it - i'll give tomorrow for an evaluation

skn3(Posted 2004) [#36]

(can you make this out ?)

Just finished a concept SKETCH. I'll see if I can get a model done.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#37]
By uncertain, I mean that someone might make a good quality model, but still not receive payment because you liked someone else's work better.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#38]
very nice sketch, skn!

And yes, halo has a point there. Tho probably you can sell a good mummy anyway the sooner or the later. Otherwise just dig it :)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#39]
@halo

By uncertain, I mean that someone might make a good quality model, but still not receive payment because you liked someone else's work better.

Well... If you read my post, It says the following:

Ok, Here's the deal! Im' giving til' the end of this month
to see who can make the best egyptian mummy possible with the following animations: Idle, Walk, Attack, Pain, Die, Dead... The successful canidate will get the prize money in the amount of $200.00 Also the seccusful canidate will also
get further business from me on a regular basis for my upcoming gaming projects! Please post your screenshots here to show your progress of your work! Let's see how interesting this can get!!! ;)

So basically here, It's a contest to see who can make the best mummy and recieve the prize money! This is at least a little better than offering a contest such as The sci-fi crate contest where you get only the following if you're selected as the winner:

I am interested to see who can make the best sci-fi crate, mesh and texture. Anyone else want to participate?

Polycount limit ia 2000. 1,048,576 texels are allowed, either as one 1024x1024 texture, or as several smaller textures.

The deadline is Monday, August 30th. (So post it Sunday night.)

The winner gets to pick an item for everyone to model next week.

What kind of reward is that?!? Im' going to reward the best entry with the prize money of $200.00 and futher business from me in the near future! So I would think my contest offer is a bit more rewarding than that of the sci-fi crate contest is! And also this will give me a good idea of other blitzer's modeling skills for the near future as well. never hurts to have a good list of artist that you can contact and see if they want to help out on future projects. ;)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#40]
Yeah, but a mummy is a LOT more work than a crate. Oh, and responding to your, er, response, I will happily do the work to refine the model if it looks like I'll be getting the prize money. Until then, I'm really not able to invest a significant amount of time on this model or texture, or even get around to animating. I just banged out this rough model to give you a sense.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#41]
I think $200 is alot more than many 3d artist get from stuff they make. Alot of people make stuff just to make stuff, and here you can do it AND get some cash while you're at it.

Please stop whining if you don't like it and let the rest of us have a go at it.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#42]
Who's whining? I DID have a go at it. In fact, thus far I'm the only one to "have a go at it."

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#43]
@jhocking

Yeah, but a mummy is a LOT more work than a crate.

This is true! But there is a purpose for all of this though.

Oh, and responding to your, er, response, I will happily do the work to refine the model if it looks like I'll be getting the prize money.

Now joe, That wouldn't be fair to everybody else on here participating in this contest if I was to just hand over the prize money to you to get you to refine & finish your entry into this contest now would it? This contest is for anybody wanting to participate in for the chance to win the prize money mentioned above! Everybody that participates in this contest stands an equal chance of winning the prize money. Why can't you be a good sport like everybody else on here, and work on & submit your entry along with everybody else that wants to participate in this? This contest will be very fair to everyone entering in it!

Until then, I'm really not able to invest a significant amount of time on this model or texture, or even get around to animating.

Well, Then your chances of being selected as the winner of this contest will be less than everybody else's then! :(

I just banged out this rough model to give you a sense.

I do appreciate your effort & participation though. ;)
I wish you would reconsider though your above mentioned post.

@AshMantle

I think $200 is alot more than many 3d artist get from stuff they make. Alot of people make stuff just to make stuff, and here you can do it AND get some cash while you're at it.

Please stop whining if you don't like it and let the rest of us have a go at it.

I agree with you on that one AshMantle. And I look forward to seeing your entry soon!

Good Luck to everybody on their submissions to this contest!
:)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#44]
So far joe is currently in the lead at the moment! :0

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#45]
@skn3[ac]

(can you make this out ?)

Just finished a concept SKETCH. I'll see if I can get a model done.

Yes I can make it out just fine! :) If you can make a mummy like that of your sketch, You'll have a very compeitive entry in this contest skn3. ;)

I look forward to seeing the model soon! Keep it up!

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#46]
Mmmmm...I am also refining my entry. The finished version will be even boxier and roundier than the first!!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#47]
@CodeD

Mmmmm...I am also refining my entry. The finished version will be even boxier and roundier than the first!!

Out of all due respect here!

Then why even bother to submit it to this contest? There is a good reason why this contest was started CodeD! I can understand at first making some wise cracks about it. That's perfectly normal here in this community to kid around & joke a little with the rest of us here. But!! If your not intending to be serious with this contest, Could you please refrain from these jokes here as there is others on here that are taking this serious, and would like to have a fair shot at winning the prize money mentioned! Im' not meaning to sound like im' coming down on you here! I just would appreciate it if your not taking this contest serioiusly, To please not post such replies when your intentions on this contest aren't serious in the first place!! The first time was a joke! It was funny, Now can we start being a little more serious now? Id' appreciate it if you would! Thank's... :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#48]
Ah, I am working on something serious, seriously though.
I'll post it when it's looking wipish enough or done.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#49]
Why not just hire someone? You'll probably get the model done cheaper. And the person you hire will have the certainty that their efforts won't be a waste of time :o)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#50]
i've done already - without texture and animation yet, i'll send through email for preview

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#51]
Ross C

Why not just hire someone? You'll probably get the model done cheaper. And the person you hire will have the certainty that their efforts won't be a waste of time :o)

Ok, Duely noted!! Let me give you an example here.
It's not uncommon for certain companies and/or individuals to start a gaming compeition to see who can make the best game now is it? And normally the gaming compeition normally has prizes that they award to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, runner ups! So why would this be any different in nature?!?

Take a look at this!

That's one example!

Here's another one here.

These are clear examples of a company and/or companies. That have started such competitions and offered prizes to the individuals who submit their entries into them! This competition here isn't no different than thoes are. Once again, This is a competition to see who can make the best looking & animated mummy here! Everybody here that participates in this contest stands an equal chance of winning the prize money & further business with me & my company!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#52]
I'm not getting on at you :o) Just pointing out it might be cheaper, if your looking for a model :o)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#53]
I realize that Ross, But I thought that this approch would be more interesting and fun for everybody here. ;)

Not to mention that it also helps to support other talented Blitzer's on here as well! We all should really try to support each other anyways in this regard. But I due value your concerns for me though. Thank's a bunch man!

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#54]
Hey team!

I think that Doctor Who's comp idea is really good! I know Halo started it but the Dr. is offering a great prize for those interested. I wish I could model I could do with $200 right now... in fact I might even give it a try.

Dr. Who - when does the comp end plz?

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#55]
Doc, you still can order the DarkMatter CD 1 for about 30$, it has a Mummy, as we already mentioned somwhere else. amazon.co.uk delivers international.

You know, it's a little sideproject to make a crate, but to model and animate a character may take several days. and the first price should be more than it's market value. Now you can calculate it. This way you'll maybe get beginner work only. If you hire a talented guy for 200$, it may be better.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#56]
IPete2

Dr. Who - when does the comp end plz?

The end of this month Pete! ;)

jfk

Doc, you still can order the DarkMatter CD 1 for about 30$, it has a Mummy, as we already mentioned somwhere else. amazon.co.uk delivers international.

Yes I realize that the DarkMatter CD 1 has the mummy we both talked about before. However though, I would like to have my own custom mummy character for my game to make my game original in design.

You know, it's a little sideproject to make a crate, but to model and animate a character may take several days.

I know this! That's why Im' giving a whole month for this competition here! this way there's enough time to accomplish this task! ;)

and the first price should be more than it's market value. Now you can calculate it. This way you'll maybe get beginner work only. If you hire a talented guy for 200$, it may be better.

You very well could be right here jfk, But it's a little to late now to withdraw this competition, And if I did at this point. It wouldn't be very fair to the others on here that are already working on their entries for this contest! So im' going to continue this contest and see what the other guys will have to submit to this competition. :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#57]
DarkMatter is crap. Unless you're using it for DarkBasic I guess. There are a lot of conversion issues into other programs due to the format, anim sequences, etc.
There have already been posts concerning the (non) compatibility of DarkBasic. Also, there is some sort of agreement too I believe that it can only be used as is for DB, and you're not legally allowed to convert it.
Crapppy.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#58]
Here is my crummy submission:

i know it sux, i'm still learning how to model/texture...

Tools Used:
Milkshape 3D
Lithunwrap (freeware version)
GIMP 2.0.4

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#59]
Hey, At least your trying though! Just keep working at it! ;)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#60]
it's rather sinister actually

skn3(Posted 2004) [#61]
I made a start on my model

Don't hold me to finishing though X(

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#62]
But you have such a good start though!! I encourage you to please finish what you started skn3[ac]. ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#63]
Hey guys, Here's an example of what im' wanting the mummy to look like! Maybe a little bit more bandages though! I also realize that I could use this model since it's free to use. However though, I can't use him in any commercial product though! But he's an example of what im' after though. ;)

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#64]
can we submit more than one model?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#65]
Your free to make as many mummy models as you like. However though, You can only submit one entry to this contest! So if you make sevral mummy models, I would suggest that you pick your best one to submit to this contest. ;)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#66]
i send u already... where is my mummy???

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#67]
I never got no mummy!! :0 Post your mummy here so I can see it first! ;)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#68]
here it is:

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#69]
WOWOWOWOW looking brilliant Akat!

IPete2.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#70]
Like I said in the email to you Akat..

Keep up the good work!! This mummy of your's is starting to turn out nicely! ;)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#71]
wow very nice :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#72]
CodeD - you are confusing Darkmatter 1 and 2. Since you don't seem to know the CD, it seems highly unqualified to say it "is crap". Indeed it is very professional and you probably won't find something better for that price. The only problem is that a lot of people are using it. But personally I don't care since most of them never release more than a walktrough scene demo.

DrWho - of course, this Contest Idea isn't a bad idea, although I really miss a clear statement in your first post that should say you are planing to use the winner mesh exclusively. To win a price for the best model doesn't automaticly mean to give away the copyright. Maybe it was this sneaky bit that confused some people. Anyway.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#73]
Ok jfk, I should of re-worded that post a bit! Let's raise the stakes a little higher then... The best looking mummy with thoes animations mentioned previously in my post above plus owning also the exclusive rights to that mummy afterwards. I will pay the sum of $300.00 to the winner now!

Will this be more appealing to everyone here?!? This also will follow further business relations with me & my company as well! I hope that this is more satisfactory now to everyone participating in this contest! :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#74]
@JFK,

'Maybe it was this sneaky bit that confused some people'

Nah I'm sure Dr. Who had the best of intentions, he's not trying to trick anyone. The exclusivity notice is useful though. I'm sure Dr. Who is not a sneaky chap!

If you have read his other posts you know he is basically an honest, down to earth bloke.

IPete2.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#75]
I didn't start this thread with the intention of tricking anybody! I assure everybody here that my words are quite honest & genuin. Actually.. I started this thread because I was in dire need of models for my upcoming game called Buck McCoy in the Tomb of Ra. I thought that this would be a good idea to start a contest because it would show to me the skills of the very talented people on this forum. Not to mention as well, I could of easily went else where and offered this contest to others, But I chosen to offer it here to support the other blitzer's on here, and to give the winner the future oppertunity to do further business with me & my company! I think also that this would be a good idea for other developers on here that may be needing media for thier projects. This way we are supporting eachother in our struggle to complete our projects! :)

P.S. And also earn a little money while we do it too! ;)

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#76]
giving it a go, the idea of $300 is very tempting. my animation and modelling skills suck a fair amount, but its not going too bad!

Akat(Posted 2004) [#77]
for me.... even u give $200 bucks as the winner it'll convince me enough to pass my model to you totally including the rights - because im model, texture and animate it for fun and when fun thing can make a money, why not spend on it even for only $200... since it became $300... it is even better ;) - at least now im eager enough to make it done

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#78]
One of my team's 3d artists is thinking of entering, him being a pro, the results will be interesting to see. I'll post an image once he does something :)

Tracer

cermit(Posted 2004) [#79]
DrWho: Will the winner have to be hired by you, or can the winner pass but still get the prize money?
It seems like this contest is about hiring someone, but im unsure after reading the posts below the first.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#80]
DarkEagle

giving it a go, the idea of $300 is very tempting. my animation and modelling skills suck a fair amount, but its not going too bad!

The way I look at it is, If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything! So I would say to you, Don't underestimate yourself. Keep working at it until it all comes together.

Akat

for me.... even u give $200 bucks as the winner it'll convince me enough to pass my model to you totally including the rights - because im model, texture and animate it for fun and when fun thing can make a money, why not spend on it even for only $200... since it became $300... it is even better ;) - at least now im eager enough to make it done

GREAT! That's the spirit.. ;)

Tracer

One of my team's 3d artists is thinking of entering, him being a pro, the results will be interesting to see. I'll post an image once he does something :)

Sounds great Tracer. :) I would most certainly encourage him to enter the contest! I would love to see his work.

Cermit

DrWho: Will the winner have to be hired by you, or can the winner pass but still get the prize money?

Im' not entirely sure I understand this question here?!?
If it's what im' precieving from you, Your actually asking
if the winner has an option if he/she wants to do further business with me & my company! The answer to that question would be no then, Because that part is completely up to the winner if he/she wants to do further business down the road. They are not confined to have to do further business with me or my company if they choose not to! However though, They most certainly would get further seccuessfull business from me & my company if they would choose to do so!

It seems like this contest is about hiring someone, but im unsure after reading the posts below the first.

Actually!! There's an option to the winner if he/she would want to do further business with our company. Thier not confined to however though! But it would be nice if they did! ;)

And yes they still get the prize money even if they opt not
to want to do anymore business with me & my company! I hope though that this doesn't happen at any rate! ;)
I hope this helped answer your question Cermit.;)

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#81]
well if i did i mummy i woulde never have that mutch mussel mass like if he has smaller mussel and bigger knees he looks like he have bin dead a long time

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#82]
what format do you want the model in? mine wont win the $300 prize, but its been a fun experience doing it and if i give it to you now, you can use it as a placeholder till the compo ends :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#83]
Sorry, DocWho, I didn't meant to say you are tricking anybody. Maybe "sneaky bit" was a bad choice of words, my english is not so good. Of course I know DocWho is a nice chap.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#84]
@DarkEagle

what format do you want the model in?

Either .B3D or .MDL2 format would work fine! The perferable choice ofcourse would be .B3D though.

mine wont win the $300 prize, but its been a fun experience doing it and if i give it to you now, you can use it as a placeholder till the compo ends :)

Well.. You stand just as good a chance of winning the prize money as anybody else here does. I would encourage you to keep working on it and keep improving upon it til' it's of your satisfaction. ;) If you decide to give your model away, I would suggest that you post a link here for everybody to benefit from! I do appreciate the tender offer you just made, But I don't want this model given to me exclusively!! That wouldn't look right, Nor would it be fair to the others on here that are working hard to complete their entries into this contest! If you want to give your model away, Please share with everybody else here to! ;)

@jfk

Sorry, DocWho, I didn't meant to say you are tricking anybody. Maybe "sneaky bit" was a bad choice of words, my english is not so good. Of course I know DocWho is a nice chap.

No problem jfk.. I was starting to become a little concerned for the moment, But im' glad your thoughts wasn't against me! You've always been a nice guy to, and very helpful towards me on many occasions! Plus I like your FPS games & other works too! :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#85]
You trying to take over Tak's spot for egyptian themed action games?? ;)

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#86]
email sent

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#87]
It would be cool if Akat made that mummy with animated loose bandages flapping behind the mummy. Boned too perhaps.

Akat(Posted 2004) [#88]
i will add the loose bandages in short time... dont worry - i try to make thing done before the month end

skn3(Posted 2004) [#89]
myn is comin along ok, doing small bits here and ther, it might go over budget but what the hell.

(350 polys)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#90]
Looking good :3 The eyes look a little odd though...

skn3(Posted 2004) [#91]
How so ? I can tweak them to look better, to me they look ok though. I hate it when that happens XD

elseano(Posted 2004) [#92]
No I mean the holes in the middle of them...

Warren(Posted 2004) [#93]
Show me the mummy!

(sorry!)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#94]
I'll be a smartass again and suggest to skn3 to make the eyes flat like most people do, and just slap on a texture on them later on. If it stays like that it could look weird in some lighting conditions ingame, but thats nothing you don't already know. Also on your sketch you had drawn some teeth. Leaving his mouth open like this and so hollow might be harder to pull of than if you had modeled in some bad teeth with bad smelly gums.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#95]
I think it is hard to see in that picture, but the eyes are flat with an eyelid. The teath are going to be on a seperate masked flat, strip, curved inside the mouth.

It will look a whole lot different with textures, naturaly, so these pics are really just WIPs.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#96]
It looks really good skn[ac], Keep it up guy! ;)

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#97]
did ya get my mail?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#98]
Yes DarkEagle I did, Thank's ;)
There is one thing though! Couldn't you put all of the mummie's animations in the one .B3D file, And then included a readme text file explaining what key frames are what animations within the .B3D model file? Im' still gonna' keep this mummy model set aside until this competition is over out of all due fairness to everyone else on here. :)

You should also post a link to your mummy modelhere for everybody else too! ;)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#99]
yeah... post ur mummy here for people preview on it - dont worry, nobody will take ur idea though.... at least i know who's my competitor - so i should tweak my model for the reward... ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#100]
Akat, hows your mummy model coming along???

Akat(Posted 2004) [#101]
redetail the model... and texturing it... maybe tomorrow i will post it - seems been too busy right now, slowly develop that thing for you... sorry though

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#102]
I would be able to enter this now, but can you confirm to me that i will have until 30th to send you my entry, DoctorWho?

I'll also post the preview here tho ;)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#103]
Here is a mummy I started on tonight. I still have some work left on the model. I expect the final polycount to be around 1400-ish. The texture was quickly done in Photoshop and slapped on. I imagine something similar for the bandages (more bandage like though), and for the skin... I imagine rotting flesh on the face, arms, and an archaic looking bone texture for the broken limbs that are weapons.

Polycount is somewhere around 1200.

Akat(Posted 2004) [#104]
this is the latest mummy with bandages but no texture applied yet... the texture will out later... animation already cover a bit:

side:

front:

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#105]
WOW, Looks like he's coming along real good!
Keep em' coming guys! ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#106]
@Lenn

I would be able to enter this now, but can you confirm to me that i will have until 30th to send you my entry, DoctorWho?

Ok, Here's the deal! Im' giving til' the end of this month to see who can make the best egyptian mummy possible with the following animations: Idle, Walk, Attack, Pain, Die, Dead... The successful canidate will get the prize money in the amount of $200.00 Also the seccusful canidate will also get further business from me on a regular basis for my upcoming gaming projects! Please post your screenshots here to show your progress of your work! Let's see how interesting this can get!!! ;)

@lucid

Your mummy is look's interesting! Keep working on him!

@Akat

Is your mummy going to have badages like that on him? Just curious?!?

Akat(Posted 2004) [#107]
actually the big bandages behind him only appear when the mummy is in an attack or defense mode.... while in normal mode only small bandages seems 'hang' around them

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#108]
Oh ok, Sounds cool. :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#109]
You can still opt to pay someone for that work you know... but obviously they won't take up the offer unless it's concrete.

$200 for this or $200 for something from an artist? I don't know... :)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#110]
@BloodLocust

You can still opt to pay someone for that work you know... but obviously they won't take up the offer unless it's concrete.

$200 for this or $200 for something from an artist? I don't know... :)

Are you suggesting to me that I should just drop this competition and hire an artist to do this type of work that this competition is comprized of?!? If I was to do that right now, It would be aweful unfair to the rest of the good blitzer's on here that have decided to partake in this competition. Yes there is a point to this competition, This competition will show me who has very exceptional modeling skills. I wanted to present this to everybody on this forum to give anybody a fair chance at winning this competiton and also having the option to do further business dealings with me & my company! BloodLocust, You can enter this competition to if you would like. I know you have very professional skills as an artist too! Why not jump in and give it a go like everybody else is? That's what makes things like this more interesting! I understand what your saying and all... But I wanted to also help support the other fellow blitzer's on here, and give them a chance at winning some money and having some fun while there at it too! ;) We all should have competitions like this more often to help support eachother in our projects.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#111]
Check your email Doctor ;)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#112]
Here is the latest. Still working on the texture.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#113]
The bandages are wrapped too uniformly, and the head looks a little weird, but apart from that, it's looking quite good :)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#114]
Agreed on the bandages part, texture is still work in progress.

When you say the head is looking a little wierd, what do you mean? how so?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#115]
I mean it doesn't look like it belongs or belonged to a human.
It looks more like one of the pygmy zombies from Mummy Returns.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#116]
@lucid

Hi lucid, your mummy is coming along quite nicely! ;)
However though, I do have to agree with Perturbatio on the texture & head shape of the mummy though. You just mentioned that you was working still on the texture which there is no further need to elaborate any more on that matter. However though, The head could use a little bit more modification though to make it look more like a human head! But the model in itself is coming along very nice so far! Keep up the good work man! ;)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#117]
Ok fixed the head (unless critics still think its bad).
Also fixed other areas of the mesh, optimized a bit etc.

Still working on texture, started over with the bandaging... let me know your thoughts. Does the head look better? How about the texture?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#118]
It looks great lucid :D
My suggestion would be, you have made the arms so tiny in comparison to the body, which is very thick. And aroudn the same area, the shoulder line looks a bit odd.

I hope I finish my entry, it seems unlikely I have been busy doing various things. I'll try though.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#119]
@skn[ac]

I hope I finish my entry, it seems unlikely I have been busy doing various things. I'll try though.

You really should try and finish what you have started on, You entry so far was starting to look promising! I hope you finsih it though. ;)

And know that I think about it, Lucid's mummy could use the arm's to be enlarged a bit to make them seem to fit the rest of the mummy's body! Also the mummy to me would look a little nicer if the mummy had two arms instead of just one! However though, This mummy would also look good as a mummy that didn't have a arm like this one does. ;)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#120]
Ok, Doc... Let me know what you think about the model (also texture.. but its far from done and still being worked on...)

Ive done a lot more optimizing and refinement. also I have broadened him up a bit to make him not seem so whimpy.

I need to finish up the model so I can begin animating... so if there is anything that you do not like, speak now.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#121]
Dr. Who, you really should go back and EDIT (did you forget you could do that?) your first post with the updated information that you later provided.

You know, things like, the now $300 prize, 1500 polys, 512x512 texture, etc.

Akat(Posted 2004) [#122]
phew... thanx god, mine only 1242 / 512x512...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#123]
@WolRon

Dr. Who, you really should go back and EDIT (did you forget you could do that?) your first post with the updated information that you later provided.

You know, things like, the now $300 prize, 1500 polys, 512x512 texture, etc.

No WolRon... I had no idea that I could possibly do such a thing!!! :o Thank's for telling me that! Ofcouse I knew about it, But I didn't think it would of been necessary to do so because most people can READ & UNDERSTAND the thread as they read it! But for the sake of others on here, I'll make thoes short changes to it since you brought it up as you did. ;)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#124]
texturing done.... i'll post it later - animation 50%... dont worry

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#125]
Any progress from any of the contestants?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#126]
Sure!! Just take a look above to see what there now! ;)

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#127]
For all those that think $200 is well too low for what Doc is wanting, take a look at the link below.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/209842/Action/FullPreview

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#128]
You are just confirming that 200 (300 now) is too little? I guess you are?

Because here, Doc gets full copyright of the winning model plus you can never be sure you will win after all that work. That means you cannot give the model to anyone legaly after you give it to him. It is exclusive for his game. On the other hand, the site you mentioned are selling a licence to use a "character" which is incomplete. It only has a mesh and bones. We, the contestants, are doing textures as well for Doc, together with this, PLUS animations which you don't get in that file which is $70 just to mention. If i dont win, I'll probably sell a licence to my model only for about $20 tho, not that its gonna be low quality but i'd just wanna sell it. Plus, this is a high-poly model, a lot easier than a low-poly model we're doing here...

As for my previews, I refuse to show WIPs except in extreme cases. There are many reasons for this, juts in case anyones wondering. ;)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#129]
I'm happy to take a look at this model but I will need to be commissioned to do it for $200. I won't enter competitions.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#130]
Why wouldn't you be happy to "take a look" for a secure payment of 200? LoL It's a fair amount.

For this you only have 4 days left tho.

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#131]
Check this out...

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/158361/Action/FullPreview

Regards,

Rogue Vector

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#132]
Man, thats one crappy model.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#133]
Bah Only 3 days. Meh I think I'll skip on trying to get myn done. I will finish it, just not for this compo, IE when I get round to it :)

Good luck everyone else.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#134]
Changed!!!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#135]
Whats changed?

Akat(Posted 2004) [#136]
changed your mind??? come on... i finished everything by now...

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#137]
Dont fret guys,

Just the initial post has changed or updated to say what Doc Who wants. ie $300 and anims.

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#138]
BTW Rogue Vector - that mummy you linked to is also part of the Darkmatter 1 CD. The Mummy alone costs 81$ at turbosquid, but the entire CD (click TheGameCreators at Turbosquid, seems like they sell all the CD stuff seperately) costs around 15 Pound when you order from amazon.co.uk.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#139]
Sorry guys! I originally posted a message the other night asking the contestants about how there work was coming along. I determined that the post message wasn't needed for this kind of question, and then deleted it leaving the text with only Changed!! put in it since a user can't delete a post once he has created it! ;)

That's all that was!!

Also wanted to mention to everybody here participating in
this contest, that you'll have all day & night to work on your mummy entry to this competition. The winner will be announced on Oct. 1, 2004, So please try and finish
you submissions please! Thank's to everybody that has participating in this contest! :)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#140]
here the shots...

and here the ftps...

ftp://alex:alex@...
ftp://alex:alex@...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#141]
Hmm, can't seem to get that movie... [EDIT] Ok, i got it now :o) Hmm...it's only playing a small part of the movie.. How do i go about actuyally downloading it into my computer. I can't tell if it's done or what.

[EDIT] ok, i'm downloading it...at 7 KB/s...gonna take me an hour, so i think i'll pass ;)

Looks really cool though. Nice work :o)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#142]
WOW Akat!!!

Your mummy looks really dam cool! ;)
The texturing looks really good, and the animations are smooth! Im' not entirely sure of the mummy's color though, Not sure if it will fit into the type of game our team is designing.. But this mummy would fit perfectly into a cartoony type platform game though! Our team is considering making just such a game as our next gaming project! So this mummy most definately will be considered.

It will be interesting to see if there will be anymore submissions before the night's over! ;)

With mummy's like Akat's & Lucid's... It will be a tough dicission to make indeed! But there will be a winner announced on the first of next month though.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#143]
I really like Akat's even though it strongly reminds me of "Mumra" from "Thundercats".

LOL

Darkheart

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#144]
Here are some renderings of the final model/texture.

Doctor Who, I will send you the full set of model/texture/animations in about 1 hour.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#145]
Sounds Good!

Can't wait to see the other submissions soon! ;)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#146]

edit - i didnt finish mine but theres a shot anyway. I also liked Akats one best.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#147]
Well...

The moment that everyone has been waiting for has finally come now! First thing I would like to say is thanks to everyone that has decided to partake into this competition. There was in truth, about 4 serious contestants that submitted their creations to this competition. The judging was not an easy task either!! 8(
The way the judging was conducted was our team had to decide on what mummy creation would best fit in with our current game project! Many factors came into view here. Color, Texture, Animations, Poly Count, Mesh style, overall look & feel, And... Did it fit into the game's scene?!?

Like I said... The dicission wasn't easy for us to come to as all four models had there good points & disadvantages.

We also should have properly noted this in this competition as well... But this dicission didn't come until close to the end of the competition! Our team decided to have a second runner up to this contest. We opted that we would be needing yet another talented modeler as well. So the following is the winners here! To everyone else that didn't make it, Hey!! it was fun & very interesting indeed. And we would still encourage you to please complete your creations, And let us have a look when there done! This competition did indeed have a purpose. we were looking for 2 certain individuals that could aid us in making some content for our projects. We figured this would be a good way to see other people's talent & modeling skills, and also this would help us decide on who could best help us out with our projects. Well... the competition worked like a charm!!! I would also encourage anybody else in the same manner as this competition went. this is a good thing here, It helps support other talented developers on here too. While you yet can get the much needed media your priject so disperately needs. I would encourage others to have similar competitions like this one too! It does work nicely! ;)

Now to the winners:

First Place goes to Lucid!!

Reasons: Color matched our levels theme & look, Good texture map, Good Animations, Good mesh style, Poly Count was within competition's limits, the mummy looked & acted exactly like we wanted it too! :)

Second Place goes to Akat!!

Reasons: Color didn't match our levels theme & look, The Texture Map was excellent, Excellent Animations, Good Mesh style - (But the mesh was cartoony looking!!), Poly Count within competition's Limits, the mummy looked & acted really excellent... But this mummy didn't fit the type of game we are currently designing! This mummy would be dam good for a Mario 64 type of platform game!

The other contestant that wasn't considered because he had no texture map applied to the mummy was Scott Lange!

However though... Scott's mummy could of easily taken
first place over Lucid's mummy if the mummy would of been completed on time! Scott's mummy had a very interesting mesh style with excellent animations to go with it!! Our team is still very interested in seeing his creation come to completetion soon! And we already talked with scott about his creation, and the way things are looking with it, we'll end up purchasing it as well soon hopfully!! ;)

To everyone else that had at least made some sort of attempt at making a mummy for this competition, I strongly encourage you to complete your creations! And thanks for at least trying!

Until the next competition... good luck to all! :)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#148]
:O I can't believe Akat didn't win...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#149]
Read the dicission above as to why he didn't win first place! We needed to have a serious scary-like mummy for the type of game where developing right now! And the only mummy that fitted that category was Lucid's mummy! And Lucid's mummy is really dam good too!

Akat's mummy is very professional indeed, But it's more cartoonish than what we was needing immediately for our game project! Akat at any rate is going to do some freelance work for our company though! He is getting ready to make us something else here in directly! ;)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#150]
I thought Akat's looked more Anime-like.

namar777(Posted 2004) [#151]
You guys really rock akat and lucid, wow i guess i have a top rank know on best modelers in blitzbasic.com

Akat(Posted 2004) [#152]
to elseano, digital, nassinamar and all... thanx guys, the guys like u all are really encourage me to contribute more in future...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#153]
That is some bull---- !! Didn't you see my mummy???
(8th post from top)

This contest was straight up rigged.

Here's the do up on my mummy:

Texture Map: an awe inspiring texture map squeezed into 64 * 64!!

Animations: Fluid lifelike animations like the rotating 180 degrees over on it's y axis when it gets killed.

Mesh: A superbly hand-crafted mesh from a veritable master of 3d max. Everything in anatomical correctness.

PolyCount: By far the best model with the lowest poly count for an intensive 3d game...EVER!! EVER!! EVER!!!!

Cry for your children!! Vengeance shall be mine!!

Just kiddin' ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#154]
Ok CodeD, Will try and fit your mummy into our game somehow?!? Maybe as a cheat code or something!? ;)
Maybe we could use it as a trash can, What do you think?!?

Like I said once before, Lucid, Akat, Scott Lange are awesome modeler's in my and my company's opinion! We are very happy to be able to do business with them. And we are looking forward to a long business relationship with future upcoming projects! :)

Guys, Keep up the fantastic work your doing!!

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#155]
Oh, hey that was just a joke DoctorWho. You don't have to mar your game with my crappy mummy. But, feel free to if you really want to. I wouldn't dream of asking for credit or royalties.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#156]
I would give the utter most credit for such a fine mummy as your's CodeD! ;) And you most certainly would recieve a royalty check for just having him in the game! 8)