The 'Make a 3D chair' contest!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/The 'Make a 3D chair' contest!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

Following on from this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/topics.php?forum=92

This weeks contest is: Make a 3D chair. It can be any kind of chair, and from any real or fictive time period.

The model should be useful for realtime use, and must therefore not exceed 2000 polygons with a maximal texture resolution of 1024x1024 pixels.

The winner will be picked on Monday the 6th, and he/she gets to pick next weeks contest topic.

A little inspiration:
http://www.dmk.dk/furniture/001/
http://www.dmk.dk/furniture/006/
http://www.bebitalia.it/frset.asp?acceso=collection&sezione=prodotti&lingua=uk&area=catalogo
http://www.agra.co.jp/furniture/chairs/menu.html
http://www.vernerpanton.com/
http://www.eero-aarnio.com/
http://www.furniturefile.co.uk/retail_relax_corona-chair.htm

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi !

Nice, i do my best.

Regards Blitzblaster

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#3]
... not gonna be as easy as my last box, i fear :)

--Mike

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#4]
... not gonna be as easy as my last box, i fear :)

Don't worry, just choose your subject right. Like this famous finnish desinger, Eero Aarnio:

http://www.designforum.fi/servlet/dfpage?did=1393

http://www.eero-aarnio.com/

:)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi again !

@ Fredborg: I have a question, what i kind of chair do you like ? Then i will create this one :-)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#6]
Surprise me!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#7]
*booh*

?! ^^

puki(Posted 2004) [#8]
Here is mine (side view):

h

Again, as with the crate contest, I've put some complex features in - look at the bump-mapping on the seat. I'm also using a cube-map on the alluminum frame (real-time reflection of surround - none of that namby-pamby, cube mapping off a texture).

Not bad for starters.

p.s. it is 1,800 polys - the texturing is 2048x2048.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#9]
The jokes are becoming excessive. Post them somewhere else.

Here is something Matt Gilg made for our game, but he doesn't come around here anymore:

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#10]
I like it Puki, got my vote ^^

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#11]
here my chair. The sytle is a bit future and cartoon.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#12]
bye the way, this modell is created with 1995 Polys. Funny ! Not more than 2000 :-)

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#13]
I've made this comfortable programming chair, model "Blitz".

(52 polygons)

I have to practice a bit more, I used "extrude" in Wings 3D but some faces are hidden behind others.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#14]
I have to practice a bit more, I used "extrude" in Wings 3D but some faces are hidden behind others.

Then use 'extrude region' instead. ;)

(You may have to turn on advanced menus for this - I can't remember)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hehehe. I already had a chair image on my webpage before this compo started. It'll lose, but,

Low poly enough for yah?!?!?

363 tris, texture 256x256.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#16]
The seat and back suck hard, but the rest is well done. Why not finish that?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#17]
I think I'll model Captain Kirk's chair :)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#18]

Couldn't be bothered to carry on had stuff to do X)
Is 1434 polys.

granada(Posted 2004) [#19]
R Chair
Made in DeleD (201 polys)

dave

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#20]
couple links i caught this morning might be of interest:

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000595.php#more (only partial views, but you get the idea. and most definitely get a sense that custom designs are coming to the world)

http://helleronline.com/gehry_main.htm (Frank Gehry outdoor furniture. reminds me of Moore or Noguchi)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#21]
I set myself a goal of modelling, UV mapping (using my plugin), and texturing all in gile[s].

It's 120 polys.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#22]
I hope the best ones will come in just before the due date :P

Beaker: the "B3D" link in your signature does not work.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#23]
Yeah m8 the binry-people server was wiped, and a new site is now in its place.

So anything you had on it is gone.(possible backup of it might exist.)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#24]
Ok, here's my entry. took me about 5 minutes including the texture (which isn't evry complicated, as you can see xp)

(Erk! Sorry for the huge picture size)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#25]
... i think i'll enter this competition about now ...

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#26]
Here is my little beauty, inspired by Gaudi, an architect, designer and artist from Spain. At least my way of perceiving it.

EDIT: Here is just the polycount, look at the newer version below!

Time: 2 hours
Used 3D max 5 and Corel PhotoPaint. The texture is also mine, i took a snap of a peice of furniture. Texture size is 633*576

I hope you dont mind the renders are in 3D studio with basic scanline renderer, and obviously messy area shadows :) But look at the chair!!! It might look disproportioned, but in reality it would be very tall so the seat itself isn't that small. It is nearly a throne, isn't it.

So much for my first ever entry around here, which i also made to introduce myself kinda to the blitz community :D

Also, shouldn't we all post proof our models do not exceed 2000 polys?

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#27]
Don't know if I'll get a chance to texture these before the deadline, so here are a few from me. All of them combined are less than 2000 Triangles.

Done in Wings3D, about an hour and a half.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#28]
Haha you included the royal throne in your collection.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#29]
haha,... yup. It is a chair of sorts right?

That's the one I'll texture first if I get a chance.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#30]
B3D sig link fixed.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#31]
I want some competition :P

or at least comments! Perhaps i could take some polys down there and put some up there? Oh well.

Who's judging this thing? All of us or just the topic starter?

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#32]
Here's my comments:
skn3 - I don't believe its actually a chair!

Lenn - how and where would you get a piece of wood like that backrest? Also doesn't the seat bit look like a toilet?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#33]
It is a chair :)
It is the T-1000-weather-proof-inator. Designed for those that like to cross their leggs while sitting on a chair, with the comfort of staying dry even in the heaviest of rainfall.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#34]
Hehe... Beaker, this isnt a contest about making a realistic chair that could be made for real-life use, but even then the backrests can be made and i have seen far more complicated woodcarvings than that, and more volumunous. The problem would be to attach it to the base part firmly, but this can be done as well. It would be an expensive chair, thats all.

As for the "toilet seat" comment, i guess everything looks like a toilet seat if you think about toilet seats a lot, or maybe spend a lot of time on them... hehehehe ;) But toilet seats are oval looking from top, and this is a perfect circle. I twisted the chair like this to symbolise solid structure, and unless you knew, swirled or spiraled structures are the most solid ones in architecture. Also what gives it the toilet seat look is the fact that it isnt an even swirl, but instead the front to back axis is elongated. This is needed to give the chair added stability if someone is going to sit on it. In the end, i can tell you it was concieved as a "tabouret with backrest" you know a small usually soft piece of furniture you can put your legs on if you're in another chair/sofa, or you can sit on it alone also!

Anyway, i might change the polygons before the end if that is allowed :)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#35]
Any comments for my entry?

....anyone?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#36]
hey wait... i found an old cshop test screenie with a chair i made...

as you can plainly see, i aint no chair designer :)

--Mike

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#37]
1848 Tris
Polygon reduction possible? Definitely.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#38]
elsano, i have seen such chairs in real life. Or actually not just like that but similar, even colour. They are everywhere in eastern Europe and Russia! I saw them in waiting rooms mostly. However, yours looks less comfortable cos the real ones have a cussion to fill the bottom. Hope that helps :P

elseano(Posted 2004) [#39]
Lol ok. I was pretty much just copying a real chair. But I kinda didn't get the fact that we were meant to design our own...: /

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#40]
You aren't supposed to design your own chairs. You can if you like, and feel you have great idea. Recreating a real chair is just as good, if you do it well.

elseano(Posted 2004) [#41]
Oh, I see.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#42]
Damn it Fredborg :P i thought the design was important! Creativity! Thats what matters hey!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#43]
Hi @ all !

Here is a little Demo with a chair inside.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#44]
Pongo:
You modeled all that in an hour and a half?

I

hate

you.

It took me several hours just to model a stupid crate in max!

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#45]
I'll post later...when I figure out how to post a picture

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#46]
No time to do any real texturing,... just a quick render though.

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#47]
Here's a comfy chair around 800 poly

It my be fuzzy looking, but i bet it's comfy

big10p(Posted 2004) [#48]
Elseano, why does your chair remind me of a cow? I think it must be the udder legs. Good job. :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#49]
Cleve - interesting texture UVs etc. Could you explain your process/tools a little bit?

It looks great!

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#50]
Hey Beaker

I've been playing around with Giles and Tattoo a bit. I maped the model with a detail texture. Then I rendered a GI lightmap in giles and baked the texture (It's not really a feature in Giles, but it might be in the near future;-)). Finally i painted additional detail(buttons, wrinkles etc.) in tattoo and retouched in photoshop.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#51]
yeah, that's kinda cool C...

--Mike

sswift(Posted 2004) [#52]
Cleve:
I don't like the stripes on your chair. The coloration looks weird. It kind of reminds me how a CMYK jpeg looks when one tries to display it in a viewer which doesn't support CMYK jpegs. If the reddish stripe were more green then I think it would reduce that odd effect that makes it look like there is a rendering problem.

But other than that the chair is very nice.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#53]
Cleve's chair is the winner (imo)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#54]
That is one comfy looking chair, Cleve :)

big10p: Heheh, I see your point. Thanks.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#55]
HumaChair!

924 tris, made with LW3D and lots of bitching at my back ache :P

Tom

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#56]
Sswift:
I agree. The stripes do seem like a color correction error. But some older chairs are a bit of a color mess :).
I played around with the texture a bit and decided to remove the stripes. I think it's better that way

here's the result:

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#57]
Yeah, i vote for Cleves chair :o)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#58]
Cleve - I thought I recognised that texture packing pattern. ;)

Job well done.

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#59]
Hey Tom
Funky looking chair...Wonder if it would work

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#60]
Now that i grabbed some more time for this, i present you the "more complete" version of my award-wanting chair:

What i did:
-Decreased the polycount under the seat and increased it on the backrest so it looks smoother where it matters
-Made the texture be seamless
-Carefully corrected UV mapping (polygon by polygon)
-Increased the size of the sitting surface
-Decreased the "middle leg" size, so now it looks like a tornado and not a toiled bowl (which might be more appealing to SOME lol)
-Nicer render (in case eye candy matters)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#61]
lol. HumaChair rocks! :)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#62]
Yeah it's an interesting idea, but i think you would need to use marble or some very hard material for it to work! It could be used as an artistic concept within a larger presentation if you could present chairs as "people" ... like if you had a theatre scene with a political concept you could put those chairs symbolising the audience itself. (Meaning nowdays anyone can sit ontop of anyone) ... carried away ...

big10p(Posted 2004) [#63]
Yeah, I'm sure if it was made from carbon-fibre (or some futuristic compound) it really would work. It really tickled my funny bone - I vote (if it counts) for HumaChair! :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#64]
It's not that far fetched.

Admittedly you would need a newer material and/or some hidden/transparent supports.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#65]
Yeah, I've seen that top one before - that's what HumaChair reminded me of. ;)

EOF(Posted 2004) [#66]
HumaChair does it for me as well. What a fun chair that would be.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#67]
cleve you chair is cool, but so much uv space wasted. you could have just a one small wood grain section in your uv layout and mapped all the wood bits to it, leaving more space for the more detailed chair bits.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#68]
But, then he wouldn't have the texture and lightmap on a single layer.

I noticed he is mapping the tops and bottoms of the stool legs tho. Probably could be removed (along with other unseen bits) for a small saving.

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#69]
I guess I was a bit lazy ;-). The texture on the bottom of the chair could be removed. But I was just playing around to find an alternate way to do textures.

explosive(Posted 2004) [#70]
I still got probs with exporting textures in C4D, so I just present you mesh ^^.

Hier it is:

Simple but confortable - and that counts :D

aab(Posted 2004) [#71]
Made this a while back:May as well enter it!
The textures are from the Zelda 3 kings throne (about 32 pixels wide -at first), though a little bit of editing has been done. stretched a bit, but this image was already loaded into photobucket so i'll left it the way it is
1256 faces, although when i made it i thought i was splashing out a little..
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/aabants/throne.jpg[/IMG]

Edit:Why's this not working?-the code's right, right?
-or has the page limit been met or something?

Go Here
The read only password is 'viewer'
The chairs the 2nd image.if u can be bothered

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#72]
And the winner is:

Tom - For the HumaChair, simply because it's a lot of fun. It could have been a little better presented, but the idea carries it none the less.

Runner up:

Cleve - For the comfy Frasier like chair. A well crafted model with a lot of personality.

Honourable mention:

Pongo - For a lot of nice little chairs.
Lenn - That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

And a big round of applause for everyone!

So now it's up to Tom to come up with a contest subject for the next week!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#73]
People dont like weird do they! Hah! ;)

I thuoght Cleve was going to win, he really sorted the textures out well... congrats to Tom, whats the next one :o !!!!

Cleve(Posted 2004) [#74]
Congrats Tom....It was a great idea :)

Tom(Posted 2004) [#75]
OMG :)

Luvvly Jubbly!

I liked Cleves chair best b.t.w.

I'll throw up the new compo in a few minutes!

Cheers
Tom

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#76]
Here is my comfortable concrete lazy-boy. Sorry, it's late can we retract the judges' decision?? ;)

aab(Posted 2004) [#77]
I didnt see that huma chair first look through.
Nice stuff!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#78]
Very cool chairs.. I didn't expect this many creative people here ^^