'Free' texture

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/'Free' texture

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here is a free texture for commercial use/whatever, all I ask is for some constructive critisism =)

Do you like the style of it?

If not what would you do to improve it?

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#2]
I generally think 2d textures trying to look 3d looks bad. You can see it just isnt 3D if you walk around and look at it. Constructive criticism: the light seems to be coming from the top left in this texture according to the brightness of the sides. This makes it less suitable for some environments also, so try have only ambient light appear as if it is influencing a texture. Also, unlike the shafts themselves, i mean the big squares whatever they are, the metal bars seem to be iluminated equally from top and bottom. It just gives off a 'strange' feeling when you look at it, tho most ppl wont notice it. Otherwise, it looks metalic and maybe with some shine and reflection it could look nice and interesting in an outdoor environment.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
I see exactly what you mean, thanks for the advice! =)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Having an image repeat four times on a single texture is a waste. You could crop out 3/4 of the pixels and just have the texture tile on the geometry.

As Lenn says, it's too dimensional. You want to have some three dimensional look to textures to make them visually interesting, but barely any (mostly just small bevels and roughness of the surface.)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yup I missed that, lesson learnt ;)