Some sci-fi prefabs

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Some sci-fi prefabs

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#1]
I started work on a new pack this week, basically gonna be a large bunch of sci-fi/industrial objects/prefabs to place around levels etc...

heres a couple so far:-

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#2]
lol, love the blitz ide on the pc screens :)

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice ones. The vents would look great on my space hulk!
M

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Very nice! I think such kits have good chances. Also, they should be repeatable without to look too repetive. Which is ok here. Additionally, for diffrent maps it may be enough to only edit the textures slightly (other hue etc.).

BTW. fascinating sceen content :)

Just an idea here: how about to use a seperate surface for the screencontent? This way the the Blitz source could track down the surface (by texture usage) and assign an animated brush to it. Or even only a scrolled texture...

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
damn, nice work as always.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#6]
about the screen yeah it could easily be seperated and operated on in Blitz ;-) great idea...basically they are all just 3ds's so cool fx like that are upto the programmer ;-))

couple more things tonight:-

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
Wow, yeah, I really like the texturing, especially the walkways. The lighting is the best part.

semar(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice artwork as usual, Psionic. Will it be free, or.. ?

8)

Sergio.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#9]
not free sorry ;( I'm aiming for around $40-50 (£20-25) for the pack which will have around 50 or more prefabs...

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#10]
Looks really nice, and sounds like a reasonable price to me. Looking forward to see more prefabs.

semar(Posted 2004) [#11]
The price sounds reasonable to me too, considering the quality..

In which format do you plan to release the pack ? .3DS, .B3D or.. whatever ?

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#12]
3ds format ;-)

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#13]
lookin' good! :-D

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#14]
Lovely. If the pack is big enough, you can definitely put me down for one of those.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
Nice work as well. A FPS is nothing without containers. :)

BTW. yes, of course it's the programmers job, but you can make it a lot easier when you make the screen content a seperate surface, and not the whole monitor frontside including the frame. Stupid me forgot exactly this when I made a monitor the last time (though I got to save a couple of Triangles). It's so easy to animate it, if it's a seperate surface.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#16]
Thanks for the advice, will do!! ;-)

A couple more things:-

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#17]
Heh, beautiful work. I might need to get this!

Those cams look a little lo-tech though. :)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#18]
yeah thats due to company wanting to save money while giving the bosses raises ;-))

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#19]
looking good man

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#20]
I like the cameras. But now you also need automatic turrets
:)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#21]
And fish.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#22]
Cant wait to see it finished. I can use these for sure

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#23]
This ones look awesome!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#24]
Good job!

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#25]
okay. gonna rain on the parade.

these look outdated to me. i can't fault the modeling or skinning. but the concepts are really what's already out there and has been for years. they seem less Sci-Fi and more contemporary or 1990's. futuristic items will not necessarily be formed sheetmetal. or TFT screens which are already old news. new processes will radically change things. your designs should reflect some of that.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#26]
I have to agree, tbh.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#27]
csven,
Fair comments, of course, but think for a second about what these are. They aren't for Si's game - they're for people who want to make a game without making models. I think 'old news' stuff will go over just fine in the kind of games we're talking about here ;)
M

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#28]
i know exactly what they're for as i'll be entering the market in the near future with models intended for high-rez, normal-mapped games.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#29]
looks like Doom 3 :) And I mean that as a compliment, btw.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#30]
I like your dark computer a lot better than the white stuff.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#31]
Psionic,

Great stuff as usual! I really like your work and they look plenty sci fi to me ... if a little indicative of 90's sci fi as others mentioned. Maybe do some Minority Report/i Robot type sci fi stuff next.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#32]
Psionic, very nice! :D

okay. gonna rain on the parade.

these look outdated to me. i can't fault the modeling or skinning. but the concepts are really what's already out there and has been for years. they seem less Sci-Fi and more contemporary or 1990's. futuristic items will not necessarily be formed sheetmetal. or TFT screens which are already old news. new processes will radically change things. your designs should reflect some of that.

And your point is what exactly?

The primary concern for conceptual and product design is its intended purpose...This is even more important for video games, as the players perception of what an object is and does is critical to thier ability enjoy the game.

Therefore a computer terminal pretty much needs to resemble such real world devices. It gets that link across to the player, that "maybe I could use this to complete my objectives"...Players likely wouldn't make that link if the computer terminal device resembles a bowling ball floating in a fish tank full of jello (or any of the thousands of ideas spewed forth by futurologist and technology researchers)

Besides style comes and goes, bell bottoms and other hallmarks of the 1970's are back in...the futuristic sheetmetal construction evedent in popular media during the 1990s was a throwback to simular futuristic visions from the 1960's...and true enough maybe in some 40 years people will carry around pet rocks that act in combination as thier house key, PDA, cell phone, credit card, and dental floss applicator...but gamers, liveing in the present, arn't going to make that purposefull connection with a little googly eyed rock.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#33]
Psionic... Any chance you could render these top down for http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=37615 ?

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#34]
my point: contemporary video camera

might have to add a rain hood. but i give credit for gamer's understanding that this is a camera watching them. especially this one since it rotates and tilts and looks kinda robotic. are you suggesting this is beyond them?

i'm not trying to insult Psionic. on the contrary, if i didn't respect his efforts (and his history within the community) i'd let him go his merry way. but imo - and feel free to correct me - it's better that someone be given an honest comment than potentially harmful encouragement. plenty of designers go unemployed b/c family/friends/professors didn't point out issues when they should have. all i'm doing is trying to point out what i see as an issue. no offence... no slight... is intended.

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#35]
well,... since a practical point of view,... if you are running around a corridor and you see the Psionic's camera, then your mind says "that's a security cam" and you keep ruuning , now if you see the csven's cam then you say exactly the same , "that's a security cam" and you keep running, so basically both elements cause the same to the gamer...

...but anyway I think it is a little nice to show "newer" designs :)

Paolo.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#36]
csven - Sorry, I misinterpreted your post ... thinking you were pushing for some of the more "out there" futuristic designs...rather then the more conservative change of design inspiration put forth by the Sony cam you linked to...I understand exactly what you mean now, I appologuise for being so brash in my ignorance.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#37]

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#38]
yes Psionic, great...i love your work !

Regards Blitzblaster

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#39]
Looks Half-Life-ish :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#40]
Did this ever get finished?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#41]
Where can we get it?