High-poly (Subd) Head

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/High-poly (Subd) Head

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Haven't modelled anything technically difficult in well over a month, so I decided to pop into Wings 3D and make something somewhat detailed. Not intended to be anatomically correct, but rather stylized and cool to look at.

WIP shot 1, 15 minutes in, taken yesterday:

WIP shot 2, an hour in, taken yesterday:

WIP shot 3, an hour and 15 minutes in, taken yesterday:

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks cool! Gotta love Wings.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
WIP shot 4, two hours in, taken today (like 5 minutes ago...):

Now has slightly defined 'crows feet' around the eyes, the mouth is better modelled, and the forehead is better modelled.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
very nice!

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
nice

Dragon57(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hehe, it looks like the Darkseid character from the Supeman comics.

Nicely done.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#7]
Whats it like if you drop the polly count right down, are you able to do that and still keep a good shape.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ahh how come it's gotten worsee in the last 45 mins???

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yavin: Somewhat, the face itself is still recognizeable.

Malice: Bite me ;)

maximo(Posted 2004) [#10]
Can I post some stuff I have made? :)

N(Posted 2004) [#11]
Not in my thread.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#12]
no problems ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#13]
Good to hear it, now start a thread and pimp your stuff already ;)

maximo(Posted 2004) [#14]
hehe, perhaps some other time, it's not that great to create a thread for it, that's why asked if I could post it here ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#15]
No problem. Keep practicing and you'll get better.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#16]
looks very cool. The face is really created in Wings 3D ?

maximo(Posted 2004) [#17]
I'll guess I'll post then, I'm not that bad ;)

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#18]
looks good, i wish i could model that in Wings3D, im still practicing with Wings3D...

N(Posted 2004) [#19]
Stuck some ears on the git:

maximo(Posted 2004) [#20]
Looking good!

N(Posted 2004) [#21]
Touched up the ears a bit, added a basic neck, and- although it's not visible from this shot, there's a back to his head now too.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#22]
Keep at it noel, you're getting there :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2004) [#23]
so i wait for a graphic card to check out many poly and the CPU must very strong too. This is a dream at the moment. Because Doom 3 is detail too.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#24]
Actually they use dot3 bumpmapping textures taken from 200kTris Models on 2kTris Character Meshes.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#25]
think you need to get the low poly cage looking right first before you start adding lots of detail
looks a bit off to me

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#26]
I think it's quite good... :) Could you maybe describe in a few words how you do this in Wings 3D? I tried modeling a head myself yesterday, I started out with a cube and added some dents and bumps to get the basic shape. (The basic shape of a robot zombie head, that is.) Then maybe apply "smoothing" and work on the details? By the way, I think the ears could be a bit bigger (also in comparison with the nose) and stand out more from the head itself.

N(Posted 2004) [#27]
Foppy: General work-flow:

1. Create Cube
2. Subdivide cube via Edge Divide
3. Use Tweak for mesh editing
Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the whole time thereinafter.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#28]
I think it's bloody good, surprised you don't sell your work.

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#29]
Noey: All your stuff looks like Beefcake Sci-Fi. It's all beefy men, who eat beef. And I've never seen you finish a whole model. I mean, the head is good, but for the time it took it's kinda lacking... ya know? Also, the anatomy is weird, the shape of his head is all wrong, unless he just got hit by a frozen elk leg in the back of the head or something. Nothing wrong with beedcake sci-fi, just wondering if you tried any... girl models*? Or full body? I guess Unreal type stuff is just your style. Oh, and get on MSN so I can show you my stuff and make you cry. :P

* Not Calling you Gay, girls are just more delicate..