MP-5K 3d model

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/MP-5K 3d model

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's an MP-5K I quickly modeled in Milkshape before breakfast ;) I'm quite new to lowpoly modelling, so please tell me what you think of it! Btw, it's for an fps I'm doing right now.

David819(Posted 2004) [#2]
It's very good. could do with some work on the trigger, but apart from that it is excelent.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Additional polys on the trigger might be a waste however since in most games you never really see the trigger anyway. When the gun is lying on the ground you don't see the trigger up close so it doesn't matter, and when the gun is in a character's hand (yours or an enemy's) that part of the gun is covered up.

Looks good. More so than most other models even, a good texture makes a realistic gun out of really simple geometry. It looks to me like the mesh is basically a couple boxes tweaked into the outline of the gun.

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hey hocking, your guess is not far from truth. I wanted to finish the model as quickly as possible so that I could continue coding ;) so I tried this:
I loaded a reference picture into milkshape and drew the outline of the picture with vertices. Then I connected them with faces, duplicated and flipped the whole thing, moved it a tad away from the original mesh and connected the two sides. Then I just changed the x scale of some verticle pairs so that e.g. the trigger is narrower than the handle. As a last step I inserted two cylinders to improve the 3d appearance of the model.
That took me not more than an hour. 15 minutes later I had the whole thing textured and ready to go. I think that's damn fast regarding the fact that I'm a terrible n00b at modelling. Perhaps I should write a tutorial on my modelling method for lazy game programmers who can't spend too much time on making the models ;) Btw, the polycount is 272.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#5]
I'm going to say that it's perfect modelling because.

1/ It only uses the minimum required polys to get the model done. You did enough and no more. Great control.

2/ It looks great up close. Once this gun is buried in the scene you won't even notice any imperfections. Pefect for it's purpose.

Great work.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#6]
yep, looks efficiently done!! Good stuff

vibe37(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hey Psionic, I feel honoured ;) Your website rules, I love the MS3d tutorials - they basically got me started!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
Reminds me very much of the one I did some time ago:

http://www.melog.ch/shop/ipack1/ipack1_1.jpg?

Maybe you used the same Image for the texture :)

Tim(Posted 2004) [#9]
or like mine, really old model (about 2 years), but i did an other texture.some errors are in but i can't fix it anymore, cause its lost ;)

maybe it was the same ref pic too ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Darn - they all look like - hk mp5ks ;)

Tim(Posted 2004) [#11]
hehe guess thats right ;)

Filax(Posted 2004) [#12]
Really nice !