It's Coming...

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/It's Coming...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#1]
... well, at least i'm on the downhill leg.

Anyway, I feel confident enough about where i'm at with the project to start doin some reconstruction of the web site.

here's a shot from the placeholder page on the web site... not the best in web design, but it gets the job done.

I hope you all don't mind me spamming the board with a project done outside of Blitz, but since i've been bugging you all about 3D RAD for the longest, i figured it would be alright to show the sub model, as it looks in the game, and the title web page...

... i mean, seeing that everyone else is showing their great looking stuff :)

--Mike

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#2]
Jippie, a submarine sim (at least that's what i think it it)! Been a while since i've player one.

I would alter the font to a more WWII era font. That should lift up the image considerably.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
looks god man. well done

Red(Posted 2004) [#4]
nice :)

*(Posted 2004) [#5]
Does it play like Silent Service?

po(Posted 2004) [#6]
Looks cool!
I own Silent Service on NES and I hope it doesn't play like it. I hate that game! Sooooo boooring. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#7]
thx guys...

as you can see the graphics are straight 3DRAD, from the DX6 RM days... but i did the best i could...

i managed to get some convincing ocean waves, a lil day night transitioning, rain, snow, underwater (fog), and you can walk around the deck and inside the sub, and use the controls and instruments to navigate and make submerged attacks...

i still got a lil ways before it's done, but i'm on the downhill slide now...

Silent Service was great... but this is a completely different dimension... for a lil more info, check out the subsim forum at http://www.subsim.com

go to the forums, and click on the Indie forum...

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions... as you can see, my web design and layout skills are in sore need of refinement :)

--Mike

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#8]
Subs rule - just bought a book about Type VII U-Boats... and of course I have the extended DVD version of the film "Das Boot". New subs and movies are IMO boring though, except "K-19 widow maker".

po(Posted 2004) [#9]
I thought The Hunt For Red October was a good movie.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#10]
I loved Silent Service!

Looking forward to a demo!

Nice work dude!

IPete2.

*(Posted 2004) [#11]
its nice in Silent Service just waiting for the ships that are unaware of you and then launching torpedos and watching them sink :)

N(Posted 2004) [#12]
Looks decent- definately dated-, and it's in sore need of some multisampling ;)

In any case, SUBS ROCKS.

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#13]
Hi Mike!,

At last eh? :)
I'm really happy you are close to finish and since I know you are a hard coder I'm sure this game has an amazing gameplay [and that was a kind way of demanding a demo NOW :) ]

Congrats!
Paolo.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#14]
I want to creep deep beneith the ocean... listening... waiting... hunting...

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#15]
Needs more women. Other than that it's looking nice.

give us a demo, it's only a month away from commercial release? (Going by the release date..though I'll understand if it's a optimistic guess...I love those...:) )

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#16]
women aboard a WWII sub... whatdya think this is, Operation Petticoat or something :)

Hey There Paolo... Thanks... yeah, it's been a long haul... almost done though...

i will send you a demo before it goes out to the general public...

Thanks Again guys for the generous comments...

--Mike

Chad(Posted 2004) [#17]
Lookin good Mike :-) Can't wait

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#18]
You should get someone from polycount to skin that. For a mesh that size, I would use a 1024x1024 or larger skin. The one you've got looks really low-res. I know some people who can do a good job, if you are willing to pay.

Since this looks like a fairly low-demand game as far as artwork goes, you can afford to spend a little extra time on something like that.

The mesh itself looks pretty good, although I would like to see some more details on the main body.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#19]
curious. what's the polycount?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#20]
the sub, crew, periscopes, guns (all which are either hierarchical or child models) comes to 10252 vertices, 15400 faces...

i'm a sloppy heavy modeller...

the crew moves (walks) the guns rotate for firing, the rudder and dive planes rotate, props turn... lets see, what else...

oh yeah, in order to get a undersea caustics like appearance, part of the geometry is replicated to show the alpha-layer

halo : yeah, it definitly could be a more detailed model, but i'm developing it in a graphical environment based on Directx6RM graphics output... a lot of what would be gained would be marginal...

i may change the skinning if i have time to do it prior to release...

thanks again for the input people...

--Mike

poopla(Posted 2004) [#21]
Looks pretty nice.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
thx SR...

--Mike

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#23]
looking good Mike :)

Glad to hear its getting closer to compeltion.
I have always been impressed with your determination to finish this project.(or is that stuborness?) ;)
I know first hand what your working with...
work arounds and all.
best of luck man.

Zmatrix

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#24]
hey Z!!!

yeah, i'm still banging away at it... mostly making sure everything is working the way it was meant to and cleaning up net stuff (may have to strip out the networking)...

you know the deal with RAD...

Thanks... and good hearing fro you...

--Mike

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#25]
Lookin' good Mike! I'm a "card carryin'" WWII SubPac aficionado from 'way back...

Just waitin' to play... 8^)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#26]
indeed, looks great. I like that underwater caustic thingy - a thing I was working on too recently. Couldn't you use a second texture layer on the surface instead?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#27]
3DRAD has some limitations j... no multitexturing, i have to use two models for anything that involves multitextures (the caustic reflections, the interior lightmaps,

in order for me to get the two interior models (the .x model and the lightmap model) and the caustic reflections on the sub to have the right priority, i had to wind up sacrificing the partial transparency for the ocean...
otherwise, extreme artifacting would occur as the models showed through each other...

an dev shot of some earlier Blitz code with a translucent ocean

i've got a lot of translucent stuff whirling around in there (the wakes, the sun prominences, a cloud hemi-sphere, a lil surface reflection, the moon and its reflection, a star sphere for night)...

some reflections, the best i could do in RAD

in order for em all to work in RAD i had to bite the bullet on the ocean...

also... the ocean itself is actually two layers... i needed to have a large flat plane, plus a smaller flat plain for the immediate ocean. the smaller one gets deformed to look like waves and is always in the immediate view. the large one just has the texture uv moving and is the distant ocean view.

see how lucky you are working with Blitz as far as the graphics are concerned :)

--Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#28]
If you animate the caustic thing inside 3DRad, then I guess you need to do so. But if you animate it in Blitz anyway, you still could add a layer at runtime, uvmap it using the world coordinates of the ships vertices MOD some value(that will define the texture scale), to make it tile.

Pretty clever ocean solution there.

Maybe take care you won't get blinking meshes when you use slightly bigger, duplicated hulls in 16 Bit Mode (even with WBuffer on).

N(Posted 2004) [#29]
I want a demo >_<

MUST HAVE FUN SUBMARINE GAME

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#30]
Yeah, bring on the demo m8....gotta love those caustics!!!

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#31]
I love subs games...Liked a lot that one...Wolf? Wolfpack? can't remember...was 2d....

I saw the screens way long ago in 3d rad forums