some rpg chars w.i.p.

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/some rpg chars w.i.p.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi I'm working on a fantasy/rpg model pack at the moment..basically a male and female hero, a dwarf and a wizard ;-)

anyway heres what I have so far, still works in progress and the female is almost done as well (update later)...

Lil' Dwarf dude

Wizard

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#2]
LOL, I'll take those crits on-board thanks m8 ;-))

skn3(Posted 2004) [#3]
They look nice. It looks like you took inspiration from the lord of the rings(movie) characters.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#4]
I saw a comedy show the other night which was takin' the p*** outta LOTR and that inspired me with the wizard, so I guess indirectly I have ;-)

I'm not a big fan of LOTR though, I've only seen 1 + 2 and only once ;-))

big10p(Posted 2004) [#5]
Top work but I must agree with the wizard's "girly bum" crit. :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#6]
double post.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#7]
i like the dwarf.. will you be animating them? any ideas what animations you will make?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#8]
generally looking nice. I think you could optimize a bit around the waist area of the wizard guy.Some of the polys are not defining any form.

The dwarfs beard is cool

Psionic, you should get over to polycount, you will get a lot of great feedback there and better crits than i could give by far

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#9]
Really amazing work. Can't wait to see them in action.

How are the textures coming along.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#10]
I see the girly bum as well.

hehe.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice work. I'm not sure I like how the dwarf's sleeves meet wrists. I'd think having gauntlets that cover sleeves would make more sense. I don't have a problem with the wizard's bum, I like the wizard a lot.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#12]
Heh heh, I think I will reduce the wizards "girly bum" LOL

also a lot of optimizing to be done before the UV mapping and animations

RifRaf: Anims will be usual stuff:-

Walk, Run, jump, 3-4 attacks, 2 defends, activate switch, pick up from floor, 2 deaths, 2 idles...maybe more, not sure yet ;-)

podperson: the sleeves are folded back, it will be clearer with textures on it (maybe)

Tiny update, blocking in some colours:-

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
Just a thought... Shouldn't the Wizard have more polys on his dress? I was thinking you've got no way of the fabric bending at the knees so when he walks it's going to look a bit odd.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#14]
yeah after I've tidied him up a bit more I intend to make a few cuts across to allow for some semi-decent deformations...

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#15]
I like girly bums ! Prefer it if the owner doesn't have a beard though !

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#16]
The dwarven female should just be a slightly more slender version of the dwarven male.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#17]
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the way I read it is that he plans to do a generic (ie. human) male and female in addition to the dwarf and wizard, not male and female versions of the dwarf and wizard.

Rob has a point about the polygons on the wizard. It sounds like you are already planning to address that so no worries, but I wanted to point out that that is the most common error modelers I have worked with make. Not knowing anything about animation, they try to optimize polygons which are needed for deformation. I've had many conversations in which I patiently attempt to explain to a modeler that I can't animate their model as is, what changes need to be made, and why.

ADDITION: It occurs to me my little riff comes off like I don't think you know what you're doing. I don't mean you specifically; you obviously know a good deal about animation. I was just venting one of my small pet peeves.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#18]
yeah I meant human male n female ;-))

I agree getting the polys correct for animation can be difficult and unless people have animated a lot of their own models (and not just modelled them) they sometimes dont get why it doesn't work nicely ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
[rant]Can I just say animation is a right pain in the arse!

I think I can...

Yes... I just did...

Shoulders... Bloody shoulders... They never ever ever look right, I don't know how people do it. Hips are a pain, but fairly doable... elbows easy, knees easy, spine easy... Shoulders... grrr...

On top of that I think if I could do weighted verts it would make my life much better! But Milkshape isn't there yet :( [/rant]

Actually, I think we should have rant tabs... It should make the font change size and colour randomly!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#20]
What I Normally do is do quick deformation tess on the shoulders as I am building.
never start texturing until you are totally happy with the way your model is deforming
I always build the arms at around 3/4 down, thats closest to the pose they will be in most of the time anyway.
If you build the arms fully stretched out , the shoulders tend to baloon out when you bring the arms down

really though there are plenty of resources for low poly modelling for animation.
look at professional models and copy the way they have been built.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#21]
Made a start on the Dwarf skin, still a fair bit to do though ;)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#22]
wow, nice detail.

Done entirely by hand ? .. or did you use some photo merging techniques

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#23]
It's looking good :)

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#24]
hand painted except for an overlay of a dirty texture on the leather bits base colour ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#25]
I think the flesh is too pale and that the hair looks generally odd (it looks like you used one of those spatter brushes to get the 'strand' look). I might do a paint over for you later if you don't mind.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#26]
Yup, the skin is a little on the grey side too.

Though I do like the drawing in the face.

The hair doesn't bug me as much, though it needs a bit of refining still.
My davice is that if you are going to use grey , don't use pure grey, add a bit of colour to it
the top left section has a litle bit of yellow in it and it looks a lot more convincing

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#27]
I kinda like the pale flesh, cus these lil' buggers live a lot longer than us big 'oomans for some reason (apparently) and he's probably about 100-200 years old, so I'll keep the skin as is for the time being...

the beard, I used a defined brush made from a few dots, it certainly needs more work but I dont want it shiney/silky cus he's an old geezer who kicks ass and doesn't wash his beard very often...so a touch more yellow might help ;-))))

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#28]
"Shoulders... Bloody shoulders... They never ever ever look right, I don't know how people do it."

The biggest tip I have for animating shoulders is make sure to make moveable collarbones. By that I mean, instead of having the shoulder attach directly to the spine, have another joint very close to the spine in the hierarchy between the spine and shoulder. This extra joint is the clavicle/collarbone.

I don't know why but no learning resources (teachers, books, websites, whatever) ever seem to mention how crucial the clavicles are for animating the shoulders, but they are vital. It only makes sense really, since you want your skeletal rig to mimic reality, and in reality the collarbones move on joints. The joints of your clavicles are what allow you to shrug your shoulders; your arms don't raise at all but your shoulders are moving up and down quite a bit.

Thus when you animate arms raised you only actually want to rotate the shoulder joints to pointing the arms 45 degrees up. The rest of the arms-up rotation comes from the collarbones. This will pull the shoulders in toward the head and achieve a natural deformation.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#29]

I think the flesh is too pale and that the hair looks generally odd ...

I disagree entirely! Looks bloody excellent, to me. How you manage to hand paint detail of that quality is beyond me. Suffice to say, I'm very jealous. :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#30]
irts not so much that he has pale skin, its just a techinique thing. its as though you haven't put enough colour on to stop it looking too grey. to the coprrect Another thing to bear in kind is that lighter colours tend to look less convining in game as I am finding to my cost.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#31]
I think this looks awsome.

Just to sort of thing I could use for some of my own projects, might just have to show this to my artist.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#32]
very nice!

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#33]
I get the feeling some people are just nitpicking, they actually look really good.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#34]
Psyc101 : Maybe because of jealousy? At least I admitted it! :)

I'm joking BTW, before anyone decides to flame me into next week. :P

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#35]
we are not nitpicking , its genuine opinions designed to help push the author,to get it 'spot on' as opposed to 'good'
If I just said it was perfect I would not be doing anyone any favours.
In game if you do the skin too pale, the in game lighting tends to wash out the detail.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#36]
Psionic, I like them!

NICE!

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#37]
How are these coming? When can we expect to see more?

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#38]
I have finished skinning the dwarf ;-) and I am moving onto the others this week, hoping to get them at least modelled/skinned this week and then I'll do all the animations next week...

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#39]
Sweet

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#40]
Psionic, you can`t leave us dangling like that. Give us a pic. Pretty please ;)

Jason.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#41]
great looking stuff... as usually...

--Mike

Adam Bossy(Posted 2004) [#42]
Someone should make a game out of all of Psionic's models...

Magian(Posted 2004) [#43]
I'm still waiting for the tutorial on texture mapping "The Dude". :D

Anyway, I think the dwarf looks awesome and personally I can't picture them with dark skin since in classic high fantasy they spend most of their time underground in mines. I haven't heard of too many folks getting a tan in a tunnel. :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#44]
Looks great, as always!!!