Old design work

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Old design work

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#1]
posted some stuff to a geocities site. mainly industrial design from way back. it's mostly too old (1994) to use in my current portfolio (a different, business website), but thought it was worth sticking up....primarily for ID/art students to get a sense of what i was doing around graduation (tho some marker renderings got updated shortly after graduation).

i'll probably be posting some WIPs there for things like furniture and vehicles. mostly Maya and a CAD program i use. but much of it will probably find it's way over to the gaming arena, now that i can use these files to generate normal/v-displacement maps. well, that's my long-term hope anyway. character/creature models will go somewhere else. maybe on a filmmaking version of the site (game dev fits nicely in-between).

anyways, stop by if you want.

http// - moving the site

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hey those are pretty sweet, I'm also an Industrial Designer. I like the Dinosaur playset. Are you currently working for a firm? You can see some of my stuff at Sideways8-games.com

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#3]
hey Tony. i recall your site. photoshop'ed sketches left an impression. nice stuff. plus there arent many IDers around.

i have my own one-man ID firm after 10 years working. a little quiet now so i'm doing stuff like that Maya to Pro/E example. designers seem brainwashed on which tools to use. hoping to open them up a bit. and just throwing it up there without concern for site graphics (i need to redo my business website first).

how's Dreyfuss going? good office? still doing alot of sketching/PS rendering or are you using 3D? i'm hoping to go from rough sketch to 3D and skip marker/PS rendering. kinda like i did at corporate. seems like presentation renderings from firms are getting more and more polished; and i can sometimes model in 3D as fast as do a PS rendering (my PS skills aren't the best; i'm old school marker!). not sure how that will play out. but the Maya practice should pan out. at least it's good for game work!

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2004) [#4]
Dreyfuss is good but i'm picking up a few side deals so I'm hoping to go fulltime freelance sometime soon. I'm pretty good with alias but I enjoy markers the most as well. I usually sketch with the marker and laydown all the basic forms,shadows,etc.. then go over it with pen, and finally take it into photoshop, but thats for more of a polished sketch look, if I'm going for life-like I go straight to photoshop or Alias. Give me a 10, and 40% marker cool grey and I'm good.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#5]
tough market. going to use StudioTools? or Rhino? or no 3D?

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#6]
That's good stuff. I spent my first year of college at University of Cincinnati's ID program. Failed miserably...

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
Good stuff. I studied a bit of tech illustraiton at uni.
No where near your standard though

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#8]
gracias.

Univ of Cincy has a good program. best for getting internships afaik. more technical than the program i went through in Cleveland. CIA is very fine arts. but with an aero degree i needed a different perspective. plus Cleveland transformed from a dirthole into a really nice city in the early 90's. great place for live music when i lived there.

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2004) [#9]
What school did you go to. I graduated from The Center for Creative Studies in Detroit, I'm actually going to there spring show opening tomorrow night to hob nob with some rich folk.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#10]
Cleveland Institute of Art. focus there was/is(?) mainly toys and car design. lots of acquaintances in both, including the kid who did that new Crossfire. fewer of us in product unfortunately.

almost went to CCS. i applied late, got accepted but was out of state when offer letter arrived. i responded too late, so i got put on waitlist. sat on the list for a couple months and pulled myself off. had time to think (best summer ever - lounging in San Diego!) and figured i actually needed a better foundation program. so i chose CIA. glad i did actually.