my game character

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/my game character

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#1]
this is my first attempt at putting things together in b3d

my kids are divided as to what is on the guys head...my youngest says its funny hair, my other says its a hat that pilots wear.....its meant to be a pilots hat.. :)

ZipFile
Click here!

cycle test zip file 723 kb
number keys view the anim cycles 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
j or L/ctrl to jump arrows to move....just getting the guy from lightwave to blitz was an adventure in its self

mock up pic....1st texture using deep paint 3d

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think you need to make the hat a darker brown colour, that way it will look more like leather.

(looks good though)

Big&(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thats great and the jump works especially well.

Can I just ask what tools you use to get it into Blitz?

Like are you going from say Max to Character FX then to Blitz.

Just interested as I have not done any character stuff before but this stuff looks really nice and just wanted to get an idea of the process.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#4]
i tried dark brown on the hat..but they said i made it look more like hair...i guess im guna have to texture some leather on it...

i use lightwave and terrabits converter that converts a lightwave scene file to a b3d animmesh

if you press 4,5,6,7 this is the jump broken down into sections, take off, glide, descend and land.. for the timing

Big&(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks for the info tiler.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
Some files that might help (or not)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#7]
nice one......i was close in the basic shape...but definitely needs a good texture..thanks

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#8]
like it tiler, looks good so far

cermit(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yes, the character looks very nice. The bag he has is a little to high up maybe, and the bag needs some rope (cant find the english word) that it looks like the character is wearing it.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#10]
yeh he needs straps..i was going to do this in the texture
when ever i get around to that part...

rucksack too high up (my kids agree) you may be right...the rucksack is boned, so i can bulge it out, when he picks stuff up....

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
Give the character some up and down bounce while moving so that the animation doesn't look so mechanical. Other than that pretty nice animation.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#12]
he does have some bounce on the b3d file (zip file above)..only a little as is looked too weird keeping it true to the high point frames..he looked like he was head banging

....updated anim above....

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#13]
Tiler,

Your character is looking really nice. I like the way the headgear moves as he moves too.

IPete2.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#14]
cheers IPete2
my youngest says thats his daft pony tails...what does he know :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#15]
I have different suggestions.

Give the character a bright red hat with a yellow strip. Why boring leather? it's an exciting romp of a game. The characters in your world are funky and exciting! :)

Just an example. The colours used are drab and unexciting. Look at anime influences for colours used. You can really "characterise" your game with just colour choices.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#16]
nice idea Rob...i like the manga/anime look, have just ordered a load of books on how to draw manga/anime...but i will have to put it to my highly delevloped team of advisors...

once thay have cleaned up there bedroom and done there homework ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#17]
Looking good, mr Cartel.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#18]
they will want minimum wage next

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#19]
His legs look like he's running, but his torso looks like he's walking.

Which is it?

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#20]
theres a walk and a run...guess he could use a little more span on the arms for the run

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#21]
I don't recall having seen a better animated character on this forum, so I'll save my slaughtering critics for the gameplay.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#22]
then i am just a mere lamb

cermit(Posted 2004) [#23]
So what tool(s) did you use for this character ?

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#24]
lightwave 7.5 and terrabits converter...going to texture it with deep paint 3d

cermit(Posted 2004) [#25]
Oki Doki :D

Does the character have an air-plane too ?

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#26]
no airplane
hes going to have a jet pack with little wings that comes out of his ruck sack, my kids want him to fly ...its on the to do list

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#27]
Im impressed!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#28]
Very nice indeed tiler! I havn't got into animating character yet in LightWave 3D 7.0, Is the animation fairly easy to setup and do?

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#29]
yeh its pretty easy just read up on bones and weightmaps
although i got the character animation dvd set from desktop images...makes it all look easy

...which converter are you using

Nobody(Posted 2004) Edit [#30]

I don't recall having seen a better animated character on this forum, so I'll save my slaughtering critics for the gameplay.

you may have thought differently if you'd seen my old demo.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#31]
Then I probably havn't seen it, though I would like to.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#32]
It's great. I think the character needs more bounce when he hits the deck after such a high jump. He looks too heavy to land so softly.

Also, he needs to dig deeper when he jumps to generate the amount of lift required. It's a cartoon so you need to over emphasise movement.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#33]
good point, thats something i never noticed...he does land too soft, i altered the tween value on the land anim i think it helps (updated zip)..

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#34]
Aw, I was hoping the zip would be that scene of the character running around on the rock platforms. Oh well, it's still cool. I would hold the extended frame longer when he jumps. It doesn't look like the character ever really stretches vertical while jumping.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#35]
this post is actually the first i made it reapeared on the site shuffle, yeh the jump take off is on my to do list,but if i hold it for any longer it spoils the quick in game response,i think i need to edit the 2nd cycle to make him stretch abit more give the illusion of more power on the uplift,... more tweeks but its geting there, the level gfx are in progress as soon as i figure out how to add multiple collision points to the character..this coding lark is not as easy i first thought