Texture CD's

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Texture CD's

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, would anyone here be intrested in some Game Texture CD's

general easy to use tileable images in a few different reselutions of stuff like bricks and walls and fences etc, all with opacity (were needed) masks and such?

If you are can you please post, i will need todo some formal market research (just an online form) if the general feeling is good.

Probably be about £15-£20 for a few hundred textures.

also what about models and scenery?

any comments welcome (except about cheese)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
Maybe if you made some sci fi textures MAYBE some of the folks here would buy them, if they were really good and there were lots of them.

Otherwise, don't bother. I've offered textures of grass, stone, wood, those sorts of things, tileable, useable in many sorts of games, and never had a single person express interest.

I can't even sell the stuff on Turbosquid. I put three texture CD's up a couple weeks ago on TurboSquid and I've had like 95 previews total of one, and less than 40 of the others. People aren't even BROWSING.

I was hoping collections would sell better on Turbosquid than individual textures, but it appears that is not the case. And I sell very few single textures on TurboSquid. I've had around 100 textures on there for over three years and most haven't sold at all and my best selling texture has only sold like 14 copies.

I don't really understand it. I guess the web and digital cameras killed the market for textures. Back in 1994 I would have killed to get some decent textures to make my 3D artwork. Now you can find tons of free textures online and make lots yourself easily if you have a digital camera.

Models on the other hand... If they're models of guns and people you might sell some. Especailly people. And especially if they're boned. But you'll have to allow distribution of them with games. You also might be able to sell low poly trees, if they are good looking and detailed and you provide a lot of variety.

Some folks here said they'd by a sci-fi texture collection, but when I showed them one on Turbosquid that I thought had pretty decent looking textures, they weren't interested. So it'd be kind of a crap shoot making textures for folks as to whether they'd buy them or not. I guess beggars CAN be choosers.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would definitely be interested. Please post some details. My issue is I do not like ordering stuff from overseas that require a physical delivery.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#4]
ps. I would mostly be interested in fantasy, egyptian, sci-fi. For game use, I have no use for realistic looking textures. I am a firm believer in games being fantasy and not trying to emulate reality

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
I agree with sswift, they dont sell. Textures are so easy to find with google etc its sick.

I would buy high quality textures if, and thats a big if, they were unique and nice.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#6]
its sad to hear that sswift, I like the idea of the model assest CD's though, they are alot harder to find on the net and if i made some generic characters with generic animations then i could then use the same animation info (character animation is my speciality) for different models.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well as I said on the thread SSwift is referring to, I'd definitely pay for good industrial/scifi/urban textures, but the key thing for me is that they need to have been worked over by hand.

I've thousands upon thousands of textures which are essentially just plain photos which have been cut,cropped, resized, made tileable and had a little retouching done to hide blemishes, etc. I'd pay for the kind of textures that Bolo Loco posted a while back.

I've had a play at making my own, and it's not as difficult as I thought, but I'm sure an artist could do better than me.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#8]
It's easy to find CRAP textures on the internet.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#9]
It's easy to find CRAP textures on the internet.

Agreed.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#10]
With corn, or without?

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#11]
Problem is also that people are allways unsecure about if the textures are made by the person who offers them and has the total right of them or that this person may have just collect them in the net. You better make your self, that's my oppinion.