Generic 3D dude tutorial part 1

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Generic 3D dude tutorial part 1

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey guys, I'm writing a new series of tutorials based on modelling a generic dude for 3D game engines from modelling to skinning, heres part 1, hope somebody finds it useful! part 2 coming later tonight...

the modelling side of things is based on C4D, Unwrap3D for the UV's and Photoshop for the skin but I think the principles apply to most software out there ;)

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod.html

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod2.html

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod3.html

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
You make it all sound so easy... :P

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#3]
That's exactly what I was just thinking!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
I made a bloke model once in Max4.

He looked like a wardrobe on legs. I deleted him.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#5]
Damn, I was just looking for a wardrobe on legs character.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#6]
I would have deleted him too ^^

:D

Psionic, your work is always awesome!

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#7]
Heh heh, wardrobe on legs cracked me up! I did plenty of those when I started out ;-)

I'm working on the next part now the hands/feet and the head...should be online either later tonight or after the weekend beer session!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
impressive skills. thx for sharing!

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#9]
excellent stuff...skining is my weak point cant wait for that part...definately to be printed and filed..will follow this with mega interest

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
Very nice tutorial that. I use a similar technique, which means the bits I have problems with can be solved by seeing how you do them. Your way of doing shoulders is so bloody simple I feel like a tit for not thinking of it before. Very useful already, and my real problem areas are the head and hands so I'll be very keen to check out part 2.

Thanks.

Wayne(Posted 2004) [#11]
Damn you Psionic, now I'll have to buy those tools so I can run the tutorials.
8P

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#12]
nice tut. i work a similar way but don't normally draw a concept as I am too lazy

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#13]
The only reason I can noe model something that at least looks like a humanoid is thanks to him.

And once again m8 you have done it again , that looks like its going to be another of your pages added to ma shortcut list.

thanks.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#14]
Nice tutorial. You forgot to mention the importane of scaling/adjusting your different reference angles. If you don't do this, then you end up with a model that is mutated.

3d modelling is like tracing. Once you figure the app interface, its a matter of simply following the lines of your ref pics. Anyway, good tut. I would have been hapyp to read this clear tut rather than the crap I had to read to fugire it out.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#15]
huh. knife tool sounds like the key to everything - when I try to model, it's all boolean ops lol. Tobad nothing I have supports it :( Although, I guess I could always try it out in gmax.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#16]
Tobad nothing I have supports it :( Although, I guess I could always try it out in gmax.

Although it's not a tool I personally favour, Wings has all the power you need for a tutorial like this, and it's free.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#17]
Edge cuts are priceless.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#18]
You can still get by without knife tools you just have to plan ahead a little and make sure you include enough segments in you cylinders etc... when creating them. Or in Milkshape3D you can create them as you go along, for example create a segment, shape it then bevel out the next from it and so on.

Jason.

Zace(Posted 2004) [#19]
This is very very good.

Is there any chance you can show us points to look out for in Milkshake or Wingz in case we cant afford Cinema4D or other 3D progz.

Cant wait for the next lesson!

Thankyou Psionic.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#20]
Tutorial was excellent - looking forward to your pointers on skinning.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#21]
Just out of interest Psionic, do you still use CFX for animation? Great tutorial BTW, its really helped me already. Thanks for taking the time to put it together :) Looking forward to the other parts too.

Jason.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#22]
Tried doing somthing like this in Anim8tor, but couldn't find the settings for cylinder (to lower height divesions), and I doubt there is a knife tool. Maybe I should just make my own modelling app.... nah... probably work worse than the free ones of today.

puki(Posted 2004) [#23]
Good stuff "Psionic" - when you have finished you could send this to a 3D magazine like '3D World' for them to include in their magazine.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#24]
http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod2.html

Part two, just about the hands and feet cus it got a little too big, next part will focus on the head ;-)

Quicksilva: yeah I still use Character FX to animate

poopla(Posted 2004) [#25]
Waiting for part 3 and then the texturing stuff :). I modelled the body no probs, didn't actually need the tutorial for that, but modelling the head and skinning it I'll be using your tutorial for :). If I had a scanner working I'd be doing alot of practice art.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#26]

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#27]
Wahay, way ahead of me :))))) Looking good m8

Heres Part 3 - the head modelling tutorial ;)
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod3.html

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2004) [#28]
Great stuff ! Thanks.

( Should be soon in the tutorials section )

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#29]
ShatteredReality : surely thats Kenada from Akira? Looking good :)

Jason.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#30]
hehe, I don't know, it's the first character skin I've ever attempted :).

AvestheFox(Posted 2004) [#31]
thanks, I used this tutorial to help me make my Aves mesh... I now know the basis of making character models..

Cheers! ^_^