space ship (big pic)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/space ship (big pic)

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#1]

Filax(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice !

c32bit(Posted 2004) [#3]
Wow! Very nice!

Rage_Matrix(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice work. :) How did you apply the textures? I'm a newbie at this stuff and would like to know the details of your methods. Fanks.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#5]
heh this was my first texturing job. I don't know if you have or own 3ds max but i'll explain it can also be done with ultimate unwrap witch is a superb product if i do say so myself.....

I pressed m to get the material editor. Then i load a (my texture) bitmap as a material. as you can see in my modefier pane ive initiated a Unwrap UVW modifier. It brances out to a select face option. Select it and select your faces. Click edit below and a map(my texture) apears. Then u use the unfold uvw map option to unfold and map the texture. It took me like 14 tries to get it all right.....

Rage_Matrix(Posted 2004) [#6]
Cool. Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#7]
to see how the model looks in blitz http://81.173.33.17/balpoint.com/files/3D%20SpaceShip%20Model%20TDemo.rar remember this is MY model for MY game, so u cant use this commercialy!

skn3(Posted 2004) [#8]
Looks nice, although certain parts seem to have a higher texture resolution than others (notibly the logo on the wings)

Perhaps you might want to scale up that section I dunno.

Damn near 7000 polys hehe. Well it makes it look extremely smooth, which is nice :)

Anyway, good job, looks impressive :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
7000 polys... I think it's about 5-6000 too high.
The texturing has a lot of seams. As skn3 said you need to increase the res of the texture on the wings and reduce it in other places, it's all a balancing act of trading off detail where you don't need it to where you do.
The design is great though, very nice and sleak.

A couple more iterations of this and I think you'll be on to a winner.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#10]
7000 dammmz, i never imagined. I do less smoothing to lower the count i think, but it looks alot less fun IMHO. What would be the concequence if used in game ... Slowdowns? cuz i didnt notice any...

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#11]
If you need a lot (about 10) of such models on screen it will toss off a lot of users. Consider what distance the user should see it at. You play Homewrold right? Exept of those few momets where you take a really close look on the fighters, just to see how beautefull they are, you could do with a 50 poly model, so unless the user are to look really close at it, you can easily cut it down to 500 polys.

Neuro(Posted 2004) [#12]
What software is that?

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#13]
3D Studio Max with a Custom Sheme...

Red(Posted 2004) [#14]
Is it highpoly ?

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#15]
i reduced the polycount to 800 and it looks about the same...

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#16]
It looks like the space ship in the 3ds max tutorial's.

Correct me if I am wrong!

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#17]
yes u are. i only used the texture from a spaceship on the cd. (modified of course.) ive created many spaceships now. This one actualy took me 15 mins to make and 2 hrs to map the texture...

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#18]
ok I was not acusing you I jsut sore it and thought it was!